Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3536 Members
10 Forums
5419 Topics
49930 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Alternative camping other than trail camp by OChikers8073 @ Today at 04:23 PM

Agreed trail camp is also really crowded and hard to find a place to use the 'restroom'
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Alternative camping other than trail camp by britonwhit(ney) @ Today at 01:20 PM

Maybe consultation lake which is a little below trail camp and maybe quarter/half a mile before it for an ascending hiker. Much nicer imho. I like it so much Iíve stopped there twice when descending having come in from the west side.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by dbd @ Today at 09:59 AM

Friends of the Inyo is among the organizations with opportunities to volunteer. Check their site for a full calendar of events. https://friendsoftheinyo.org/ Immediate examples: Trail Work Thursday ó Whitney Portal July 19 from 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Alternative camping other than trail camp by Samanthia @ Today at 09:45 AM

I was reading a post where a hiker camped a little further above Trail Camp but canít find it. It was near a lake as I recall. Any suggestions?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ Today at 08:29 AM

OC: Please do post the info!
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney via the scenic route 9/15-9/17 by Rico @ Today at 08:24 AM

Much appreciated psyko. That's actually very helpful.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by OChikers8073 @ Today at 08:11 AM

I'm in love! I can see why people hike many times, including 'crazy jack' from the Whitney Portal Store who we met on the trail and again while having our cheeseburgers apparently he has hiked over 170 times!. We also met a ranger along the way with
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by MHS @ Today at 01:06 AM

Thanks
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ Yesterday at 09:42 PM

OChikers: Thanks SO much for picking up all the trash. Too many people don't care, because they're never going back to Whitney.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by OChikers8073 @ Yesterday at 09:07 PM

My husband and I reached the summit at 8:30am on Saturday July 14th. We left Whitney portal on Thursday at 6:00am and hiked to Trail camp arriving at 11am. It didn't rain on us at all until later that afternoon but by that time we'd already set up ca
General Discussion
Jump to new posts SEKI Climbing Fatality 7/12 by Maverick @ Yesterday at 05:19 PM

SEKI NP: Quote:On Thursday, July 12 at about four in the afternoon the parks received a satellite device SOS call from the John Muir Trail/Pacific Crest Trail near Center Peak in Kings Canyon National Park, just north of Forester Pass. A hiker repor
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ Yesterday at 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: MHSWhat's the best website for checking weather for Mt Whitney trail and summit? Thanks You should check multiple sites. The best ones are easily accessible from the Mt Whitney Weather page, in the Feature Topics box, above o
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Mt. Langley- Old Army Pass vs. New Army Pass by Denis @ Yesterday at 02:42 PM

Hi everybody, I'm hiking Mt. Langley next weekend (7.21.18) and I was wondering which route is preferable right now: Old Army Pass vs. New Army Pass given possible snow conditions, etc? Thanks!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: White Mountain Peak Road by dbd @ Yesterday at 02:35 PM

I went up White Mountain on July 6. While driving up to the gate I saw deer and along the trail I saw bighorn sheep. That would justify the presence of mountain lions, but I wouldn't expect one to let you get close. Most commonly seen along the trail
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by VigilAuntie @ Yesterday at 01:53 PM

https://www.mountain-forecast.com
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Releasing 3 overnight permits, Sat. July 21st entry by eje67 @ Yesterday at 01:44 PM

Just a head's up that this afternoon I'll be releasing 3 overnight permits with a July 21 entry date on recreation.gov!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by MHS @ Yesterday at 01:40 PM

What's the best website for checking weather for Mt Whitney trail and summit? Thanks
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney via the scenic route 9/15-9/17 by psykokid @ 07/15/18 10:46 PM

Rico, The use trail that we ended up taking from the northwest corner of lower soldier up to the ridgeline was really easy to find and not hard to stay on. We simply stayed high on the ridge line until we could see the trail next to rock creek and t
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Chinook Sticks Landing on Mt. Hood. by wagga @ 07/14/18 05:29 PM

"The big chopper executed a 'pinnacle landing' right on the slope below the top of the mountain. This is when the crew drops the Chinook's ramp and balances the helicopter on its rear wheels while personnel climb aboard. In this case, the pilots
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Drop pack at trail crest? by cantare @ 07/14/18 03:25 PM

On June 28 while waiting for friends to catch up, I sat at the JMT junction chatting with thru-hikers as we watched marmots and squirrels rifle thru a pack. They will definitely investigate and make off with anything edible. If you're hiking the JMT/
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney via the scenic route 9/15-9/17 by Rico @ 07/14/18 08:58 AM

Thanks very much for the info smart1 and steve. Much appreciated.
General Discussion
It sounds like you are planning on trying to day hike. If that is the case, permits for Tuesday might be available at 10 AM on Monday. Those available will be from others picking up permits and dropping off a few due to their group size reducing. A
General Discussion
Looking to summit Mt. Whitney on Tuesday, July 31 - with possible camping (if available on July 30). What are the chances I am successful in obtaining unclaimed permit? I plan to arrive around 10 AM on Monday, July 30. Any advice as to where to camp
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney via the scenic route 9/15-9/17 by smart1 @ 07/13/18 05:02 PM

Rico, It's been a few years, but we went around the west side of Lower Soldier Lake until you hit a steep, vegetated drainage that heads north into Miter Basin. The trail fades a bit as you hit the vegetation but there isn't really any other place t
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney via the scenic route 9/15-9/17 by Snacking Bear @ 07/12/18 01:57 PM

Psyko, What a fantastic trip. I read it right when you posted, but I realize now that I never complimented your photography, and thank you for sharing. What kind of camera* do you have? *How heavy is it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >