Made it home at 4 PM Friday. Drove 4 hours last night, and 8 today. Two days driving and one day hiking... No wonder I don't do that very often. In fact, it was 39 years ago that I last hiked to the Colorado and back!

Some of the memorable part is all the various people I met on the trail. The R-2-R is a destination for trail (ultra)runners and marathoners. A group of 5 or 6 runners passed me in the morning, and of course I never saw them again.

While having my first ever morning beer at the Phantom Ranch Canteen, two women in their upper 20s, and a mom (mother-daughter marathon team) showed up. Mom was ready to head back to south rim, but the two gals were heading to the N Rim to spend the night, ....and do a return R-2-R today! Of course I never saw them again either.

By the way, heading up the north side, I puzzled at my headache. Then it dawned on me: a morning beer doesn't sit well with hiking. Ibuprofen and several hours later, I was fine.

As the third hike in two weeks, I again met several Germans. They travel the world to hike!

I met Julius and his family in the perfect spot to exchange keys:  Ribbon Falls.  I spent a longer time on the trail than the others for several reasons:  taking pictures, drinking a beer, talking with hikers, chilling at Ribbon Falls.  But it all added to the enjoyment.

I was one of the first hikers to start in the morning, but I am sure I was the last to finish. But then all the others were repeaters, so were doing it just to get it done. This was my first and probably only time.

Another thought: It is remarkable how many women are on the trail. Groups of only women, mixed groups. Impressed that several were obviously the group's leader, in charge of seeing that all was well with their group. Good to see.

And one more: Met quite a few backpackers coming down from the N. Rim. So many carrying huge packs! With such warm dry weather, seems like going tentless, and with maybe a one-pound bag would sure make their climb out easier. The sites at Cottonwood campground were without shade. Whew, not pretty!