Interesting posts so far....as far as the side converstaions, that's what makes this board so interesting. I'm waiting for the TR from Bulldog & Catpappy on their ice climbing adventure. Should make for some good story telling over burgers and beer at the portal.

I guess I should have given a little more background on my experience and why I asked the question. Over the last year I found a lot of very useful information on this board, along with the WPS board. I have also discovered, or maybe a better way to say, acknowledge to myself, that I tend to go into winter 'hibernation' mode soon after Halloween and it usually lasts until late Feb or March.

This winter I'm making a conscious effort to change my habits. I also need an 'event' as a goal or incentive to get me moving mid-week. I'm trying to find events like the Marine Beach challenge to use as a short term goal. (Or maybe more like instant gratification?)

I need these events to keep me moving (marines yelling at you early on a Sat morning has to be pretty motivating, right?), because as others have noted and I can relate, as I age it gets harder and takes longer to get back into some type of reasonable physical condition after an extended time away from workouts. I want to be able to keep up with QS at the wild wild west marathon, so no more mid-week hibernation mode for me!