Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JMT Section Advice
#10492 01/31/11 10:14 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi All,

I am considering a section of the JMT this summer from Tuolumne Meadows to Reds Meadow. Can anyone give me some advice as to the route to exit? I am considering either going over Agnew Pass to exit at Silver Lake, or Reds Meadow via the River Trail or High Trail. Any options from those who have hiked this section? I should add that I plan to spend as much time fly fishing as possible, so that may affect your answer.

Also, any input on the best camping spots and where/where not campfires are allowed along the route?

Thanks!

Re: JMT Section Advice
s_kavert #10494 01/31/11 11:31 AM
S
S
I did that hike in June '07, and really enjoyed it. You will find some good fishing spots. We spent three nights; if you want to enjoy the fishing, I'd add more time to the trip.

Here's a link to my smugmug pics from that hike JMT, June 07

I'll post more later.

Here's my friend "wetting his fly" on the Lyle fork of the Tuolumne.

s_kavert #10495 01/31/11 11:48 AM
The most I can tell you about the exit route is that the PCT high trail has great views along it but will not give any options for fishing along the way.

Unless you do some detours I don't think you will have many fishing options in general since after you begin the climb up out of what I call Kuna Creek Meadow you wont have many other decent fishing options until you hit the outlet of 1000 Island Lake.

RoguePhotonic #10497 01/31/11 02:17 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Great pics from 07 Steve! Gives me a good idea of what to expect. My main objective fishing-wise is the Lyell fork as well, but RP confirms there won't be much more fishing until Thousand Island Lake. Might have to substitute the D90 for the fly rod for the middle part of this trip. wink

s_kavert #10500 01/31/11 03:01 PM
S
S
Now now, don't give up so quickly! Check out the map -- Rush Creek looked slow and deep where we crossed. And there are interesting side trails south of Donohue Pass.

Here's the GMap4 map of the area:  Donohue Pass

Here's the same map (embedded):

s_kavert #10594 02/02/11 11:20 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: s_kavert
I am considering either going over Agnew Pass to exit at Silver Lake, or Reds Meadow via the River Trail or High Trail. Any options from those who have hiked this section? I should add that I plan to spend as much time fly fishing as possible, so that may affect your answer.

Also, any input on the best camping spots and where/where not campfires are allowed along the route?

I had to look up the Agnew Pass route you mentioned. It like a looks shorter exit. But when I was in there, friends left from Garnet Lake and were at Agnew Meadows in about 4 hours. I and a friend took the JMT, and by hurrying, came out at Reds Meadow in about 5 hours.

But the two things I would definitely recommend:
1. Camping at Thousand Island Lake. It is one of the prettiest places on the JMT.

And 2. The trail used to go from Island Pass straight down to the lake. I have the Topo! maps that show it. But you won't find that trail, and instead it turns eastward and descends several miles to the outlet of T.I. Lake. If you go, I would definitely recommend leaving the trail and descending to the lake. The old trail most likely took off where the current trail makes the abrupt left turn to the east. If you go this way, you will arrive at the lake at a far more unused part, with good camping & fishing options. And there is a nice path along the shoreline (the old trail), so you would not have any trouble heading out that way.

The center of this map shows where I'd leave the trail and head south-southeast to the lake:

Steve C #10602 02/03/11 11:37 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the info on the descent down the TI lake. It's always good to hear some of the tips from those who have been there. I picked up the book, "Trout fishing the JMT" and the author mentions the fishing is kind of hit and miss after leaving Lyell Canyon until you get to the lake. Maybe I'll high tail it once I leave the canyon to spend more time at TI lake.

s_kavert #10616 02/03/11 05:54 PM
H
H
Another option is head to upper TI like Steve says, then keep going around the west end. Cross the next low ridge (no trail but no problem) until you get to small, bleak upper Garnet Lake. Stay on that north side, find your way to beautiful lower/main Garnet Lake, and eventually to the outlet. Little or no trail. At the outlet, cross the Garnet log bridge to the south side, take an easy-to-miss immediate left turn on a minimally visible use trail, head down the tumbling boulders for a while, following the outlet stream until you reach the woods and more trail. Eventually reach the bottom, cross the small river on rocks, find the River Trail and head right (downstream), pass Olander Lake, then climb 400 feet up to Agnew Meadow and out.

Just another option.

Silver Lake? Sorry, I can't get over the amount of horse manure and sad-path-beside-the trailerpark.

Link Copied to Clipboard