0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vacation Pass
#10854 02/14/11 09:02 PM
OP Offline
I was looking into quicker ways into Wallace Lake and looking at Vacation Pass seemed like a crazy looking route. Apparently it's easier if you cross over the ridge just to the North of Vacation Pass which is also less known as Sheep Pass.

Has anyone climbed up there or even ventured up George Creek at all?

It's about 5 miles up to the pass but also is 6000 feet of climbing.

Re: Vacation Pass
RoguePhotonic #10855 02/14/11 10:42 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
NOT easier! Suicide Col MUCH easier! Or Russel-Carillon Pass.

While there is little risk of getting lost, it is real cross country travel, with some definite problems with route finding (finding a path). Serious bushwacking at the beginning. You are not likely to see anybody.

I've not been over this pass, or in that branch of Geo Creek. I went up to do the climb of Williamson from that side. (quite a wonderful trip)

I remember it well, this was the trip when I left my heavy-duty BOOTS at home! Fortunately, I was wearing a pair of lightweight boots, so I could do the trip. However, at the end of the trip, they were destroyed, and I had to throw them out. The leather of the body was actually torn open in many places, from the sharp rocks of the route.

RJ says that this is a classic route of the Sierra, that any mountaineer should do once. Just getting to the trailhead is a challenge.

By the way, here is an interesting compilation of Sierra Passes:
http://sierrabackpacker.com/sierrapasses-new.htm

Question: Which pass in the Whitney area is missing from that list?

Ken #10858 02/15/11 02:41 AM
W
deceased
deceased
W

Ken,

There are a lot of passes missing from the list, outside of the Whitney area, and there are quite a few missing from the Whitney area, but I think you are thinking of the Whitney Pass for one.

Also missing are Crabtree Pass, Rockwell Pass, Army Pass, New Army Pass, Siberian Pass and Forester Pass.

Wayne #10868 02/15/11 09:16 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
Originally Posted By: Wayne

Ken,

There are a lot of passes missing from the list, outside of the Whitney area, and there are quite a few missing from the Whitney area, but I think you are thinking of the Whitney Pass for one.

Also missing are Crabtree Pass, Rockwell Pass, Army Pass, New Army Pass, Siberian Pass and Forester Pass.

Uh....all of those are listed, save Army Pass, Whitney Pass. But I was thinking of one in the more immediate Whitney area.

Hmmm...incomplete list makes this less fun......I'll give you credit for Whitney Pass. There is another.

RoguePhotonic #10877 02/15/11 12:11 PM
OP Offline
Where exactly is Suicide Col?

The Russell Carillon ridge would be a much easier way to go though the down side would be having to deal with the Whitney Permit system to enter that trail head.

Doing Vacation or Sheep Pass would be a bit worrying to me with a full pack on.

I put notes on this images for the two passes: And if viewed in full size it looks like allot of scrambling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roguephotonic/5447426924/

RoguePhotonic #10891 02/15/11 10:53 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
Where exactly is Suicide Col?

Also known as Cleaver Col. Just south of the Cleaver. You need a whitney zone permit, as you head north from the north fork, before you get to lower BS lake.

Link Copied to Clipboard