Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Storm Hits Valley Hard; More Rain On The Way.
#11776 03/21/11 06:38 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
From the Fresno Bee.

"Highway 41 is closed this morning at Deadwood Mountain Road, between Coarsegold and Oakhurst, because fallen trees are blocking the road, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The highway also is closed north of Oakhurst from Cedar Valley Road to Yosemite National Park because of heavy snow and fallen trees. The CHP said there was no estimate for when the highway will reopen.

Interstate 5 is closed at the Grapevine summit because of snow and ice, the CHP said. There was no estimate for when it will reopen.

Highway 168 to Shaver Lake and China Peak is closed at the bottom of the four-lane section to everyone but residents.

Highway 140, an alternate route to Yosemite National Park, also is closed, the CHP said. The closure begins four miles east of Midpines. Several trees and power lines are blocking the road. There was no estimate for when it will reopen.
"

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Re: Storm Hits Valley Hard; More Rain On The Way.
wagga #11778 03/21/11 07:13 AM
Even the southern part of the Sierra here in the Indian Wells Valley, got precip. We had about about 3/4" of rain, which for us, is a deluge. Snow levels came down rather low for this time of year. Looking at Owens and others, it's around 4K'.

wagga #11786 03/21/11 08:00 AM
S
S
With all the roads closed, I guess this applies:

You just can't get there from here!

Steve C #11788 03/21/11 08:11 AM
I postponed my trip to the eastern Sierra by a few days - avalanche danger is close to extreme.

Now I will spend time in Death Valley (Telescope and Wildrose peaks) before getting to the Sierra late this week. Seems like the whole La Nina extended forecast of brief active periods followed by weeks of calm just turned out to be bogus.

Fishmonger #11790 03/21/11 08:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Fishmonger
I postponed my trip to the eastern Sierra by a few days - avalanche danger is close to extreme.

Now I will spend time in Death Valley (Telescope and Wildrose peaks) before getting to the Sierra late this week. Seems like the whole La Nina extended forecast of brief active periods followed by weeks of calm just turned out to be bogus.

If you're interested - on Wednesday some of us will be hiking Searles Peak, which is the primary peak in the Slate Range, located west and a bit south of the Panamints - Wildrose and Telescope on the northern end of the Panamints. Due west from Searles is Golar Wash, about where Charlie Manson and his gang lived. The access road is about 5 miles north of Trona.

I can't see Telescope very well from my house - mostly obscured by the Argus Range, but I can tell that it has fresh snow. The DV Visitor Center could give you a better guesstimate. You may need snowshoes, especially on Telescope. Crampons are probably in order for Telescope also for the last 1/2 mile pitch up the ridge. Right now it's about 20 degrees colder than normal, and the forecasts are for storms and windy weather for the next several days.

KevinR #11791 03/21/11 10:09 AM
Originally Posted By: KevinR

I can't see Telescope very well from my house - mostly obscured by the Argus Range, but I can tell that it has fresh snow. The DV Visitor Center could give you a better guesstimate. You may need snowshoes, especially on Telescope. Crampons are probably in order for Telescope also for the last 1/2 mile pitch up the ridge. Right now it's about 20 degrees colder than normal, and the forecasts are for storms and windy weather for the next several days.

I have the gear for pretty bad conditions. Ski or now shoes if the stuff is soft at the bottom. I'm also considering to pack a tent up to Mahogany Flats if I can't park near Charcoal Kilns and then do the summit from there on the next morning. Kinda depends on when I get there, too. Windy isn't good, though. If it's bad, I'll just go to Lone Pine and hang out at the Hostel until things get better.

Fishmonger #11797 03/21/11 10:43 AM
From Mahogany Flats you can also take the gated service road over Rogers and avoid 2 or 3 sketchy places on the way to the saddle between Rogers & Bennett.

Fishmonger #11799 03/21/11 10:48 AM
Fish, catpapy and I did Wildrose a couple of weeks ago, and the road to the kilns was completely clear. The gate to continue on to Mahogany Flats was closed, so you'll probably have to hoof it. Snowline was right at the kiln-level for the north-facing side and just above 8000 feet for the south-facing. We never needed spikes or full gaiters for Wildrose - the snow was patchy, and occassionally 8-10 inches deep in spots, but quite do-able in just winter boots.

If you get skunked on the big peaks due to weather, I heartily recommend Corkscrew Peak as an alternative. The chance of snow at 5800 feet this time of year is slim. Death Valley Buttes, right in front of Corkscrew, is also a fun 3-hour side trip, with some nice class 3 climbing involved.

Have a blast!

Bulldog34 #11801 03/21/11 10:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
Fish, catpapy and I did Wildrose a couple of weeks ago, and the road to the kilns was completely clear. The gate to continue on to Mahogany Flats was closed, so you'll probably have to hoof it. Snowline was right at the kiln-level for the north-facing side and just above 8000 feet for the south-facing. We never needed spikes or full gaiters for Wildrose - the snow was patchy, and occassionally 8-10 inches deep in spots, but quite do-able in just winter boots.

If you get skunked on the big peaks due to weather, I heartily recommend Corkscrew Peak as an alternative. The chance of snow at 5800 feet this time of year is slim. Death Valley Buttes, right in front of Corkscrew, is also a fun 3-hour side trip, with some nice class 3 climbing involved.

Have a blast!

Gary - Everything changed with the weekend storm, and it looks like there may be more accumulation on the way, on and off, thru Friday.

wagga #11803 03/21/11 11:17 AM
Well at least all this rain may mean even better wild flowers this year. I went out to Wind Wolves Preserve on the 13th and there were not really any flowers and the hills already seemed to be dying but I guess it's just a later year for flowers.

RoguePhotonic #11809 03/21/11 12:31 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Latest from the Bee.

"Mudslides, fallen trees, ice, snow and downed power lines -- Yosemite National Park has it all today, except incoming tourists.

All roads leading to the park are closed after a winter storm dumped more than 3½ feet of snow in the last 24 hours in areas such as Yosemite Valley, Wawona and Crane Flat.

Highways 41 and 140 are closed because of the conditions. Caltrans also has closed Highway 140 outside the park boundary between El Portal and Mid Pines. Badger Pass and Hetch Hetchy roads also are closed. A winter storm warning is in effect.

Elsewhere, Highway 168 was closed east of the Shaver Lake marina because of a mud and rock slide, the CHP said. Only residents are being allowed east of that point.

Highway 198 west of Coalinga was closed because of mud and rockslides. The westbound closure is at Firestone Road. The eastbound closure is near Highway 25. There was no estimate on a reopening time.

Chains are required on Highway 41 three miles north of Coarsegold, the California Highway Patrol said.
"

KevinR #11829 03/21/11 02:58 PM
Originally Posted By: KevinR
Gary - Everything changed with the weekend storm, and it looks like there may be more accumulation on the way, on and off, thru Friday.

Break out the snowshoes . . .

Glad I got my peaks in when I did!

wagga #11840 03/21/11 04:29 PM
All of Oakhurst is without power. Grocery stores running on generators. No gasoline, no Starbucks, no brewskies. Snowed Friday night, melted Saturday 03-19-11, then snowed ("dumped") again on Sunday 03-20-11 (first day of spring). Trees down due to the heavy wet snow.

Strange thing, the resident were asked to cut down certain trees or at least trim them last year. Guess what? Those same trees are causing the problem for all.

My in-laws live in Oakhurst. Father, mother, uncle, aunt, cousins. My FIL, MIL and AIL are staying with my BroIL and SIL here in Yosemite Lakes Park.

Our house has no damage. Plenty of water all over the place, but of no threat. Helps to live on a ridgeline!

My UIL and AIL will stick around another day in the holy city of Oakhurst. I urged them to stay with me up here in YLP. I told them to pack their trash, bring their SBs (I have inflatable mattresses), and any perishables (we have an extra reefer). Hot showers are available up here. We even have a pool is filled to the brim with rainwater. Caveat: cold, oh so cold. But we do have a spa! We also have a woodburning stove excellent for roasting marshmallows or smores.

So, I have my mother in Japan and now all of my in-laws in Oakhurst and Coarsegold...wife in Richmond, CA...some sort of connection...

Common denominator? All are safe. The power of positive thought.

These past 11 days have been nerve wracking for me, but they are "my family" (not to be selfish) and I will do whatever it takes to protect them. I have never felt this way before for any of my relatives in Missouri. Time changes things. Events, too. I, along with my wifey-pooh, will ensure their safety and will accommodate them whenever possible.

Ah, vernal equinox 2011...

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #11885 03/21/11 09:10 PM
S
S
Sounds like 'tude is having a Partee in Fuggowhee. smile

Steve C #11895 03/22/11 03:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Sounds like 'tude is having a Partee in Fuggowhee. smile

Powwow, pal, powwow... grin

According to www.wunderground.com for Yosemite Lakes Park these are the precip totals:

Friday 0.57
Saturday .02
Sunday 3.80

It was a deluge on Sunday. That is a lot of rain for this neck of the woods at this time of year. I returned home after visiting my wife in Richmond, CA and missed all the fireworks, I mean, water works!

The seasonal stream near the entrance to YLP was a raging river. The crest of the flood touched the bottom of the bridge. Can you say KAYAK!

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #11897 03/22/11 04:26 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Some breathless video from the local TV station.

As always, ad first.

wagga #11901 03/22/11 05:42 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Yosemite roads still closed.

"Because of heavy snow for the past two days, the road is impassable to motorists, the CHP says. There is no estimate for when the road will reopen."

wagga #11903 03/22/11 07:07 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Kurt has all the handy travel numbers over at the National Park Traveller.

wagga #11929 03/22/11 11:17 AM
Sentinel Dome is the only functional camera in Yosemite right now: I don't think I have ever seen that much snow in front of it.

RoguePhotonic #11942 03/22/11 02:25 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
Sentinel Dome is the only functional camera in Yosemite right now: I don't think I have ever seen that much snow in front of it.

Wow!

Long wait for power in Yosemite, El Portal

"PG&E customers in Yosemite National Park and parts of El Portal will remain without power for three to six days as crews work to replace a transmission pole severed by a rock slide, a utility spokeswoman said this afternoon."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard