0 members (), 52 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Japan EQ
+ @ti2d #11651 03/16/11 06:20 PM
Great news Gary! Very glad to hear the family is safe and sound. I may just have to quaff a pint in their honor tomorrow at some local Irish pub!

+ @ti2d #11652 03/16/11 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
They left the hotel and returned home. Took them 9 hours to get home from Yokosuka to Chiba.

My cousin and his family live in Chiba-Ken. Is that near your family's home?

KevinR #11656 03/17/11 02:30 AM
+ @ti2d Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: KevinR

Higashichiba Heights, Higashichiba Chuo-ku, Chiba-shi. To-may-toh, To-mah-toh. Chiba-shi, Chiba-ken. All the same. Imagine that.

Hope your cousin and his family are safe.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #11657 03/17/11 05:14 AM
This is a good read. From the Sydney Morning Herald.

"THINGS here in Sendai have been rather surreal. But I am very blessed to have wonderful friends who are helping me a lot. I am now staying at a friend's home. We share supplies like water, food and a kerosene heater. We sleep lined up in one room, eat by candlelight, share stories. It is warm, friendly, and beautiful."

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
+ @ti2d #11658 03/17/11 06:02 AM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Originally Posted By: KevinR

Higashichiba Heights, Higashichiba Chuo-ku, Chiba-shi. To-may-toh, To-mah-toh. Chiba-shi, Chiba-ken. All the same. Imagine that.

Hope your cousin and his family are safe.

They are, thanks. They lost power for a time which impacted their well, and so needed to go into the village for it, but it's been restored.

Now, if they can just get the reactors cooled down ...

+ @ti2d #11659 03/17/11 07:33 AM
CaT Offline
Really good news!
Thanks for the update.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
+ @ti2d #11661 03/17/11 11:13 AM
I suppose once the radiation cloud begins reaching southern California tomorrow it wont be as safe to go out in the rain for awhile. I love how the U.S. Government likes to say don't worry be happy but they have no credibility in these matters. After all these are the same people that conducted Project SHAD and told us the air was safe to breath after 9/11.

RoguePhotonic #11663 03/17/11 11:39 AM
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
I suppose once the radiation cloud begins reaching southern California tomorrow it wont be as safe to go out in the rain for awhile. I love how the U.S. Government likes to say don't worry be happy but they have no credibility in these matters. After all these are the same people that conducted Project SHAD and told us the air was safe to breath after 9/11.

Same people? Project SHAD was half a century ago!

AlanK #11664 03/17/11 12:47 PM
One, two three....what are we waiting fo.....Wooopie, we're all going to Glow!

# 1: Good luck to all the people of Japan. You could tell from the beginning that their government was lying to them.

# 2: I've had more PETScans than I can count.....so I'm sure the tiny bit of radiation traveling with the tradewinds won't come close to the small amounts of radioactive glucose I've had injected into my body.

# 3: Kudos to the Fukashima 50 (actually 180). They have gone beyond heroism.

# 4: I don't trust Obama, Biden, Sarah Palin, Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell, Jerry Brown, John Boehner, Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein, etc. (sorry, too many to list)

God Bless Americans

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #11665 03/17/11 01:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=quillansculpture] # 2: I've had more PETScans than I can count.....so I'm sure the tiny bit of radiation traveling with the tradewinds won't come close to the small amounts of radioactive glucose I've had injected into my body. [/quote]

you are spot on.

A person came to my office today asking where she could buy iodine tablets to ship to her friend in California.

the issue is not whether we will receive some radiation [u]here[/u] in US (yes, we will), but will it be significant? (no).

Here are some lessons from Chernobyl:

The zone of concern may be larger than expected. I suspect that is why the US is suggesting a wider safety zone. From a [u]practical[/u] standpoint, the Japanese may just have their hands full dealing with the greater tragedy (tsunami)and simply cannot evacuate everybody.

Iodine tablets worked in Chernobyl for those who got them (or at the right time). The tablets prevented thyroid cancer for those peoples.

There have been no increased cancers in Chernobyl area, other than thyroid.

Iodine tablets do not prevent acute radiation poisoning. We may find that some workers have had that much exposure. The also do not protect against non-iodine radiation like uranium, cesium, plutonium, etc.

quillansculpture #11666 03/17/11 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
One, two three....what are we waiting fo.....Wooopie, we're all going to Glow!

You left out "Gimme an F..."

+ @ti2d #11667 03/17/11 02:27 PM
Although some of the policy makers are still alive I meant more specifically the same people as an originization. General policy never changes in America no matter what dancing puppet is paraded in the public eye to make people feel better about what happens. I think the time is right to start referring to it as "The Party" like 1984. wink

To get back on subject though the dangers of radiation is always down played in all things in life. Nearly a million people died from Chernobyl and the full effects of disease has not fully been researched. The book "Chernobyl: Consequences of the Catastrophe for People and the Environment" gives a good up to date look at the disaster. I have only read reviews on it all but looks like a good read.

But of course in the end it doesn't really matter what happens because it all is what it is. Not like there is anything we can do.

RoguePhotonic #11668 03/17/11 02:50 PM
Although some of the policy makers are still alive I meant more specifically the same people as an originization. General policy never changes in America no matter what dancing puppet is paraded in the public eye to make people feel better about what happens.

I see. That's why we still have slavery and women can't vote. Got it.

RoguePhotonic #11670 03/17/11 03:15 PM
Nearly a million people died from Chernobyl and the full effects of disease has not fully been researched.

I've never considered NatGeo as a paragon of scientific virtue, but this article guesses about 4000 Chernobyl-related deaths and cautions that 25 years after Hiroshima, some cancers were still appearing.

"A report last year from the Chernobyl Forum, a group of experts convened by the International Atomic Energy Agency, the World Health Organization, and other United Nations agencies estimated that among the millions exposed to Chernobyl's radioactive cloud, nearly 4,000 will ultimately die from leukemia and other radiation-induced cancers. It's a measure of the health fears immediately after the accident that this number comes as a relief."

wagga #11671 03/17/11 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: wagga
Nearly a million people died from Chernobyl and the full effects of disease has not fully been researched.

I've never considered NatGeo as a paragon of scientific virtue, but this article guesses about 4000 Chernobyl-related deaths and cautions that 25 years after Hiroshima, some cancers were still appearing.

"A report last year from the Chernobyl Forum, a group of experts convened by the International Atomic Energy Agency, the World Health Organization, and other United Nations agencies estimated that among the millions exposed to Chernobyl's radioactive cloud, nearly 4,000 will ultimately die from leukemia and other radiation-induced cancers. It's a measure of the health fears immediately after the accident that this number comes as a relief."

The IAEA number is 4000. Greenpeace (hardly an apologist for the US or Russian governments or the nuclear industry) did a study a few years ago and estimated that there may eventually be as many as 100,000 cancer deaths, although no one seriously claims that many to date.

+ @ti2d #11673 03/17/11 03:38 PM
Quote:
I see. That's why we still have slavery and women can't vote. Got it.

Well we are reaching further back then intended but to be fair long standing domestic policies that have the potential to incite rebellion among masses are abolished to maintain a level of living standard and tyranny imposed on it just above organized resistance to oppose it. I was reviewing the Declaration of Independence today and kind of laughed at how almost every single oppression listed as a reason the colonies had to go to war the U.S. Government is guilty of against us.

As for Chernobyl I am aware of the other listings of casualties from a number of organizations. At this time though I can not give a decent opinion on the matter because I don't know what they are counting or not counting as a casualty. I think the majority of the casualties they list in their near million figure are from the hundreds of thousands of people that participated in clean up efforts that have all died now. I have not though read as to the cause of their deaths and if it could be linked to their actions in clean up.

Last edited by RoguePhotonic; 03/17/11 03:39 PM.
RoguePhotonic #11674 03/17/11 03:57 PM
I think the majority of the casualties they list in their near million figure are from the hundreds of thousands of people that participated in clean up efforts that have all died now. I have not though read as to the cause of their deaths and if it could be linked to their actions in clean up.

From the NatGeo article...

"During the days after the explosion thousands of other workers, called liquidators, were rushed to Chernobyl to tame the radioactive inferno. Coal miners dug underneath the seething core to allow liquid nitrogen to be pumped in and cool the nuclear fuel. Helicopter pilots dumped 5,000 tons of lead, sand, clay, and other material in an effort to douse the flames. Soldiers made timed dashes onto the roof to shovel smoking graphite blocks blown out of the reactor back into the core. Referred to, sardonically, as "bio-robots," many of the 3,400 surreally brave men who took part in this operation absorbed a lifetime radiation dose in seconds.

On May 6 the fires in the mangled reactor were finally extinguished, and an army of liquidators went to work building the sarcophagus and consolidating radioactive waste at several hundred dumps near Chernobyl. In those early days doctors monitoring the liquidators watched white blood cell counts drop and feared for their health. Most recovered.
"

wagga #11675 03/17/11 03:57 PM
Wagga, thanks for the NatGeo article.

I don't know if anyone cared about my earlier rantings on food supplies, but I feel it's very important to protect our natural resources so we have viable soil to grow our crops and raise our livestock. With the USA having 104 nuclear power plants it's a scarey thought that if our plants were to have disasters similar to Chernobyl we could lose our farmland to radiation for many, many, many years. In the NatGeo article Wagga posted, the harmful effects from Chernobyl are pointed out, as follows:

"Those who stayed behind still inhabit a contaminated landscape. The two most pervasive radionuclides from Chernobyl, cesium 137 and strontium 90, will remain in the environment for decades. Schools and other public buildings in southern Belarus are regularly washed down. Fields are fertilized with potassium to limit the uptake of cesium into crops and lime to block strontium. Lengthy regulations spell out what should be grown in which soils (only potatoes in peat but a wider range of crops in clayey soils, which lock up radionuclides). The most contaminated land—several hundred thousand acres—still lies fallow, though the government of Belarus is taking steps to reclaim it. At a gate and guardhouse 18 miles from the reactor, cultivation stops entirely."

Lynnaroo
AlanK #11679 03/17/11 04:35 PM
Bee Offline
General policy never changes in America no matter what dancing puppet is paraded in the public eye to make people feel better about what happens.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
wagga #11681 03/17/11 04:45 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: wagga
I've never considered NatGeo as a paragon of scientific virtue, but this article

To Wagga,

....for stating a traceable source!!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard