Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Trail Maintenance
#1209 12/09/09 02:52 PM
OP Offline
I thought i'd make a post on the subject of trail maintenance, it had been something I had long wanted to do and in September I started looking for possibilities to do some so I searched the PCTA's project database and was able to get on a three trail crews, immediately I was surprised to learn that volunteers are hard to come by, with all the people in California and the large number of environmentalists the average volunteer age is still 67 years old!, I was even told of one project where they had no one under 80 and had another guy 91 years old! So if you have free time and can help out consider getting out there and do some trail work, it's a chance to meet great people and gives you a greater appreciation for the hard work that has gone into all our trails.

There are a number of groups that do trail work including SCA, if you have done work or continue to do so with other organizations post them so people can have a wide selection of possibilities.

There is a project scheduled for January 8-17 on Section A of the PCT near the Mexico boarder if anyone is interested, you can contact Pete Fish for details pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net.

Re: Trail Maintenance
RoguePhotonic #1210 12/09/09 03:31 PM
My wife and I have always expressed a desire to join a crew. When you are at FRA (full retirement age), you have a lot of time on your hands. Hence, the 60yo plus crowd. Other Californians just don't care about the wilderness and are more concerned about their "comfort zone." No offense. JMO&O.

But, some factors have kept us from doing just that.

1. Money. Gotta work. Maybe if we retire when we reach 55, that would be great but it won't happen to us for sure. If it weren't for the bills, the gasoline, and the mortgage, we would be out in the Gr8 Yd Opn. My wife and I can't afford to get membership on this website due to personal reasons (this, too, shall pass).

2. Schedules. Weekends come and go and things do come up unexpectedly.

3. Duration. Many of these projects are more than 5 days. Working people have to burn up vacation or personal days. Working people have families, and family vacations come first. Not all families are outdoorsy. Some members of my family are just not that type.

4. Money. Some ask for money. As noted in another forum for the MR, pay to play? Again, not on my watch and not in my lifetime. Money is tight. Money is being spent on "beans (food), bandaids (medical), and bullets (if necessary).

My wife get emails from organizations looking for volunteers. We will continue to monitor and plan our calendars accordingly.

Thank you, RoguePhotonic, for the links. Some day we will get out there. And please, do keep posting if you find anything.

Steve C, your thoughts on adding another forum on Trail Maintenance?

Journey well...
RoguePhotonic #1211 12/09/09 04:17 PM
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
I thought i'd make a post on the subject of trail maintenance

Welcome to the forum.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #1212 12/09/09 05:07 PM
Originally Posted By: wagga
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
I thought i'd make a post on the subject of trail maintenance

Welcome to the forum.

Seconded!

Bulldog34 #1213 12/09/09 05:44 PM
S
S
Welcome, Rogue!

Let me point people to your photo site. I particularly like your Thousand Island Lake shot from Banner Peak:

Thousand Island Lake is one of the finest spots in the Sierra.

And check out Rogue's latest adventure: PCT Section G 12-06 - 12-07-2009, complete with on-the-trail news reports. crazy

As for trail maintenance, there are people here in Fresno trying to build the San Joaquin River Trail all the way from Fresno up to Devils Postpile. They always have trouble getting volunteers, too. It's a slow process.

Steve C #1214 12/09/09 05:56 PM
S
S
+ @ti2d wrote:
> your thoughts on adding another forum on Trail Maintenance?

Well... I've seen too many sites with tooo many forums. We already have what, 6+? I am hoping to create an index of important topics, maybe "Whitney Highlights" or something like that. So that might help.

Steve C #1216 12/09/09 06:28 PM
Rogue, those panoramic shots of DV - especially Telescope Peak - are awesome! That's one of my favorite spots in the country. You outta be cranking out bookmarks!

RoguePhotonic #1222 12/09/09 08:37 PM
OP Offline
Well i'm glad you all enjoy the images, the panoramas have been sitting in folders for along time now and I had never put them together so I got around to it, they came out ok considering most of them where done with the A640, Microsoft ICE is a great tool.

A few points on the trail maintenance, I understand completely if your busy working, I have been able to get onto these longer trail crews because I am constantly laid off from work with this poor economy, but project duration is not a problem, they welcome you even if you can only attend for one day.

Also the PCTA does not require you to be a member in order to join the crews, everything is free, all you have to do is get yourself there and they will supply everything.

I actually save money by going on these crews since I don't spend any money while i'm out there.

RoguePhotonic #1223 12/09/09 08:47 PM
I saw that Chevy parked on Walker Pass on 11/29 when I did Morris - glad to see it's still going strong. Pretty quiet that day - the only people I saw were an older couple who had done an out and back to the saddle below Owens.

RoguePhotonic #1224 12/09/09 09:00 PM
the KRVHC will be doing a scheduled PCT trail maintenance on the sections from Walkers Pass to Owens - dates are being finalized now - "friends of Ruby Jenkins" - should be sometime in March or April

Steve C #1234 12/10/09 08:42 AM
CaT Offline
Wow! I've never seen quite as breathtaking of a photo of 1,000 Island Lakes as this one! Thanks for sharing it Steve, and thanks for taking it, Rogue.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
Tomcat_rc #1240 12/10/09 01:15 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Tomcat_rc
the KRVHC will be doing a scheduled PCT trail maintenance on the sections from Walkers Pass to Owens - dates are being finalized now - "friends of Ruby Jenkins" - should be sometime in March or April

That should be an easy trip, it's mostly brush work with a bit of tread work here and there, i'll keep an eye on it and see if I can get on the crew.

Steve C #1261 12/11/09 12:33 PM
How about a calendar off to the left below the webcam?

We plug in an event with a link, date and time.

You review. You approve. You post.

I like calendars!

Journey well...
RoguePhotonic #1545 01/05/10 09:36 PM
OP Offline
Thought I'd post this general info sent out for the Section A project this Friday if anyone is interested:

Jan. 8-17. Fri.//Sun. Section A Catch-up - Penny Pines. Section "A". (CNF. Map A - 8). You are invited to join us for a brushing and spot tread repair project north from Penny Pines. Come for a day or all ten. For the first 3 days the crew will base camp at George's place - Cozy! Commute from there to Mt. Laguna. On Monday, Jan 12, we will move to the Roost at Mt. Laguna. Edwina and Al Golightly will be cooking -- Yum!. Need 10-15 people working - Trail Gorillas. This will be another opportunity to pay back for using my (George's) trail - join us for a good cause and meet interesting people. Think about it! - some people pay to go the gym! Leader for the first 3 days is George Boone, Section "A", Pete Fish will lead the rest.

Contact George Boone 619-994-8729 george.boone@dhs.gov or Pete Fish 805-658-6540 or e-mail @ pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net.

RoguePhotonic #1549 01/05/10 10:59 PM
S
S
Thanks for posting the announcement. I had to look up the location. Couldn't find Penny Pines, but Mt. Laguna shows up about 20 miles north of the Mexican border.

And I had to look up Trail Gorilla, too. Seems that is what the PCTA calls any hardy trailworker. I found a PCTA link here.

Please post more announcements as they come along.

RoguePhotonic #1554 01/06/10 03:09 AM
OP Offline
The other half of the announcement was directions that maybe I should have posted but I figured if anyone wanted to go they could send an e-mail to Pete, he responds quickly.

Trail Gorillas are also a section thing, as I understand they cover the southern end of the PCT, one of the others is called Lions Pride.

After 8 days of work you get your own trail gorilla PCT hat though with your name on it smile this is when I got mine , i'm in the back.

I have word of a project around April or May in the Dome Lands Wilderness near Kennedy Meadows, more tree removal from the fire and brush work, i'll post info when it's available.

RoguePhotonic #1749 01/18/10 07:50 PM
OP Offline
Good weather, good people, good times smile

PCT Section A Maintenance Crew 01-08 - 01-17-10

Also as a correction it's "Lyons Pride" for northern California.

The new list is up:

http://www.trailprojects.com/projectsdatabase.html

Last edited by RoguePhotonic; 01/18/10 07:58 PM.
RoguePhotonic #1752 01/19/10 12:14 AM
S
S
RP: It seems like it's practically desert down where you worked, but your pictures show so many water bars. How much rain do they get in that area?

RoguePhotonic #1760 01/19/10 12:07 PM
OP Offline
Well it is desert but a different quality of it, we worked up around 6000 feet in the Lagunas, i'm not sure exactly how much rain they get but the trail where we installed so many water bars was in bad shape from erosion, George was saying they don't get allot but when they do it rains hard.

Many sections of the trail have suffered to where the trail is several feet below the outside walls, this makes it so you cannot get the water off the trail, at some point the Forest Services solution is to just reroute the trail, the only way to slow it down is to install check dams, their purpose is to slow the force of the water down as it rolls off the dam instead of flying down the hill like a water slide, and I used to think those were a nice step for you. crazy

Those water bars though will be put to the test this week as they are expecting around 7 inches of rain down there!

In 3 days 4 of us working separate from the group installed about 40 water bars and check dams, I have so many images of them posted so they can be sent to the Forest Service for show of completed work.

Last edited by RoguePhotonic; 01/19/10 12:09 PM.
RoguePhotonic #1766 01/19/10 11:35 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Steve C
RP: It seems like it's practically desert down where you worked, but your pictures show so many water bars. How much rain do they get in that area?

Hi Steve and RP... that section of trail is my backyard! Our annual rainfall is about 9.5 inches here in San Diego... however, that part of trail is in the rainshadow of the Laguna mountains, so tends to get a little less. When it rains, though, it pours. With typically dry, packed ground (and more then a little bit of granite thrown into the mix)anything heavier then a little sprinkle tends to create run off more then soak in... the trails are the path of least resistance... thus the needs for the water bars!!!

If the coastal mountains down here get the predicted total rainfall for this year out of the combined 3 or 4 storms... we will be getting the equivalent of about 3 years worth of rain for us.

RoguePhotonic #2476 02/24/10 02:19 PM
OP Offline
Limited to 30 volunteers

Come join us for a first of it's kind one-day service project hosted by Tracy Roland's at San Joaquin River Gorge, and lead by High Sierra Volunteer Trail Crew. Help continue the rebuild of the trail system so the youth that will be visiting this spring have a safe trial to hike on. This is located just 45 minutes from Fresno.
Here is a link for sign up for this event
http://www.trailcrew.org/reg2007temp/reg20100306all.htm

March 13th 2010
Limited to 30 volunteers
Come join us for ANOTHER one-day service project hosted by Sierra Foothill
Conservancy, and lead by High Sierra Volunteer Trail Crew. Help continue
The expansion of the trail system on the McKenzie Table Mountain Preserve
Which is located just 30 minutes from Fresno?
Here is a link for sign up for this event
http://www.trailcrew.org/reg2007temp/reg20100313all.htm

Shane Krogen
Founder / Executive Director
High Sierra Volunteer Trail Crew
1424 Los Altos # 102
Clovis, California 93611-2585
Cell 559-250-9360
Office 559-325-2874
Fax 559-325-9754

Here is another project on section C for any Socal people:

3 - 6 Mar 2010, Wed - Sat. Section "C" Mormon Rocks. Because of recent fires and the station now being open year-round, we are sizing down our project here. We will start this project on Thu morning 3 Mar. Come join us Wed pm and have dinner with us. Feel free to work one day or the entire project. We will have limited space indoors. You can also car camp or camp under the stars! The fire station is about 1 1/2 mi W of I-15 on Hwy-138 (S side of the highway). Contact John Hachie, Tel.: 909-605-3219, Email: goaliejhachey@msn.com

I'm going to try and attend the Mormon Rocks project but right now I am unsure about my work schedule, if not that then maybe the one day project on the 6th.

RoguePhotonic #2515 02/25/10 11:27 AM
S
S
Those two spots are right here... I've got to join at least one of them. Wish my schedule weren't so crowded.

Thanks for posting them, Rogue.

Steve C #2516 02/25/10 11:38 AM
F
FOI Offline
F
Friends of the Inyo leads many stewardship trips throughout the Sierra, Inyos/Whites and Death Valley, making for tons of trail maintenance opportunities starting from the Eastside!
Here are a couple service trips this spring:
Death Valley Dunes March 5-7: we'll be camping at Stovepipe Wells, restoring an old road near the dunes.
Argus Mtns April 1-3: Invasive species removal and desert rattin' in the Argus. Flowers should be nice by then!

For summer 2010, we'll be assisting American Hiking Society with trips to Whitney and Bishop Pass. And for the first time ever, we're doing our own Volunteer Vacations! For a small fee (not yet determined), volunteers get full pack support, delicious meals (plus a few perks/discounts at Mammoth-area businesses) and a chance to give back to favorite trails in the Ansel Adams and John Muir Wilderness areas (Garnet or Ediza Lakes, Duck Pass, and if we get enough people, one to Steelhead Lake in McGee Canyon). Dates will be sometime in late July/Early August. Sign up for our email list to be notified when all the details are worked out, or email explore@friendsoftheinyo.org and I'll put you on the list.

RoguePhotonic #2914 03/11/10 12:11 AM
OP Offline
I know this is sort of last minute but the PCTA is hosting a chain saw class which is a 3 day course on friday the 12th through the 14th, it turns out allot of people dropped out and they were having problems finding more volunteers so spaces are available if anyone is interested.

The class is in Santa Clarita, contact Anitra Kass - 760-977-8684

The Forest Service now requires you to be CPR and basic first aid certified in order to receive a license to operate a chain saw, if you don't have these you can still attend the class and get certified but you will not be able to operate a chainsaw on Forest Service land until you get the other required certifications.

RoguePhotonic #3011 03/16/10 12:34 PM
OP Offline
Crosscut training now on March 27/28, will be located some where in the Angeles National Forest, exact location has not been set yet, yet again Anitra Kass at akass@pcta.org is putting together the volunteers.

I was surprised how strict the chain saw training was, I guess after someone was killed at the training school they made it even more strict, even after a 3 day course I am only certified to do brushing, limbing and bucking.

RoguePhotonic #3013 03/16/10 01:19 PM
S
S
> I guess after someone was killed at the training school they made it even more strict.

Whoa! But I can imagine. A 2-3 foot diameter log across a trail, then cut into a section... If the section rolled over somebody, it could do that.

RoguePhotonic #3016 03/16/10 03:17 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
Whoa! But I can imagine. A 2-3 foot diameter log across a trail, then cut into a section... If the section rolled over somebody, it could do that.

That's why you always cut from the up hill side and if a log is going you yell a warning.

I'm not sure how the person was killed but most people die from falling overhead objects.

RoguePhotonic #3023 03/16/10 08:35 PM
S
S
I know a person who was camping with a group, and the guy sleeping in the bag almost right beside her was killed when a branch fell off a tree.

Steve C #3024 03/16/10 09:15 PM
OP Offline
Wow that's crazy Steve, I have never given a thought to over head hazards with setting up my camp but we all really should, it's what they call "widow makers".

The fire fighters told us about when they were on a fire line just sitting eating lunch a massive log came rolling down the hill and bounced over the top of their heads and kept on going, talk about luck! crazy

RoguePhotonic #3033 03/17/10 08:30 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
I'm a "c" certified sawyer, chainsaw and crosscut saw, and this is phenominally dangerous work. Good to hear that they were rigorous, and doesn't surprise me.

When you get into falling trees, that is a whole 'nother ballgame, as well. There is an astonishing amount of kinetic energy stored in an upright tree, waiting to be unleashed.

I'm going up to get my recerts next week outside of Fresno, and am looking forward to it.

On a lot of the backpacking trips I lead, I'll generally try to find weakened trees to point out, when it is time to set up camp. Most people are oblivious, but there are often hazard trees nearby.

I remember two camps, when I asked people to assess a nearby tree, which all thought was fine, which I then PUSHED over. Lotta dangerous trees out there.......

One of the best things about saw training, is learning to do the evaluation of hazards, and the situational awareness that is needed. You see things you never saw before.

Ken #3034 03/17/10 08:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken
...You see things you never saw before...

Nice pun, Ken.

Have fun.

Journey well...
RoguePhotonic #3038 03/17/10 12:01 PM
OP Offline
Ken's right about all that, I can easily recall many locations I have camped with major hazard trees all around me but I didn't give it a thought.

Quote:
I'm going up to get my recerts next week outside of Fresno, and am looking forward to it.

Are you going to have to go through the S-212 course that is the national standard now?

Some of the people there were upset about how it was run because NO ONE was given a certification card, even people that had been cutting down trees for 14 years as a B feller and I am not even sure who is going to be able to get a card from them. We missed one day in the field due to high winds and they said they would "try" to get us another day in about a month but will we then get our cards? We were all left with many questions that never got answered but another guy that is high up with the PCTA "Pete Fish" has been to these sawing classes for many years and the past few he has been unable to even get a card from them, no matter how much he would contact them about it he just couldn't get it which means without it you cannot legally operate a chainsaw; so obviously this system is not run all that well.

RoguePhotonic #3041 03/17/10 01:55 PM
An Irishman sees a headline in the newspaper: "Three Hundred Jobs In Jeopardy". So he runs to the train station, goes to the ticket office, and says "Give me a first class ticket to Jeopardy!"

No joy, obviously. He keeps scanning the paper and a week later he's leafing through the job section (he's getting the hang of it now) and sees "Tree Fellers Wanted". The next day he turns up with two of his mates and asks what the job is.

So he's hired, and the foreman says "We need you to cut down a hundred trees a day" and hands our man a chainsaw. He goes off, and at the end of the day he's cut down 97 trees. The foreman says it's OK, our man just needs some practice.

The next day he cuts down 98 trees. The foreman is a little bit exasperated, looks at our man a bit funny, but let's him carry on.

The day after he cuts down 99 trees. The foreman starts shouting. "Look! it's bloody easy! Everyone else is managing 120 trees a day! I'll show you." He wanders over to the trees and starts up the chainsaw.

Brrrreeeermmmmm!

The Irishman jumps back and says:
"What the hell's that noise!"

wagga #3044 03/17/10 04:39 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
The whole certification thing is a mess. The problem is that the forest service is totally oriented to FS employees, and the transition to using volunteers has been a major problem, particularly at the local level. Add to this that the experts with chain saws in the FS are the fire folks, and there seems to be no love lost with the recreation folks, those responsible for trail maintenance. Yikes.

The issue revolves around safety, and job security: if you certify a sawyer, and they get hurt, it reflects upon you, and your job performance as a trainer. FS employees are somewhat concerned that someone outside the "tribe" will be in a position to affect their performance rating. This is serious stuff, to those involved.

There is also an issue related to insurance. For purposes of medical care, the FS is self-insured. What that ends up meaning practically, is that if someone gets hurt, the cost of care will come out of the budget for that service area. If it costs $100,000 to sew back a thumb (as if it would be so cheap), and the budget for that ranger district is $100,000, you've just shut the district and laid off the employees. This stuff really worries people.

I've been a "c" sawyer for about 8 years. Under the regulations, I am permitted to train people to the "b" level and certify them....if the forest saw supervisor will sign off on it. In spite of the fact that I've a lot of experience, I'm a teacher by profession, and I handle much sharper things than chainsaws professionally, it is not going to happen, it is clear. No one will accept the liability. If they won't give a card to Pete Fish, no one is going to get one. I've got cards, but I think it was because my program was flying under the radar at the time. Nitro is new in the job, and she probably hasn't found the levers of power, yet. I'll see her next month.

I like to believe that everyone is trying to do their best, but it is a transition phase, and everyone is nervous. There are some real good people trying to make things happen: David Michael, the crosscut guru, Beth Boyce, the FS PCT manager, but they are fighting an intrenched mindset and habit, and it takes time. <sigh>

Ken #3045 03/17/10 04:57 PM
Given the environment you describe, what does it take to get a FS black powder (or better) license?

Last edited by wagga; 03/17/10 04:59 PM. Reason: bad keyboard

wagga #3047 03/17/10 05:30 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
I'm fairly positive that it would only be available to 40 year veteran employees. At least that's the only one I know.

RoguePhotonic #3056 03/17/10 11:51 PM
OP Offline
Your right Ken that all that is a factor but im not sure that they wont give Pete a license because of any skill level or not passing but he simply could not get someone to make it and send the thing, maybe it did come from no one wanting to sign it in the end but it's hard to say.

The fire fighters did make that point that if they sign off on it and someone gets hurt later they will want to go back and see who signed off on your training.

I hope the crosscut training will be a little more straight forward.

RoguePhotonic #3271 03/27/10 01:29 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Had a fun training session on my chainsaw recert. No, it was not the full S-212, which I've been through before. This was a recert, so we did it in one day. Recerted C bucking, B falling. I'm already C-bucking crosscut bucking.

Ken #3272 03/27/10 01:34 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Here is a list of the trips by the High Sierra Volunteer Trail Crew www.trailcrew.org They are all totally free.

VTM is Vital Trail Maintenance

I will be the crew leader for the second trip, the VTM Backpack starting May 1. We have a couple of spots left, if anyone has an interest, drop me a line.....

Ken ( kmurray at pol.net )
=====================
VTM Trip - Sequoia National Forest, PCT Trail
April 30 - May 9, 2010, Kennedy Meadow Bridge restoration project
Vital Trail Maintenance, arrival and setup Wednesday April 28th. Volunteer Arrival Friday April 30 or Saturday May 1st. Daily work begins Saturday May 1st and continues until Saturday May 8th. Crew size limited to 25. First meal served dinner Friday April 30th at 6:30 PM. Daily meal service continues until Sunday morning May 9th.
We will have two crews each day for you to pick from:
  • We will be replacing the running planks and the hand rail structure on a 70 foot bridge that is less than one hour walk from our base camp at Kennedy Meadows campground. The wood from this project will be carried out to the work site by a stock support team. The daily walk to the work site is level and very easy. We will be in the Golden Trout Wilderness.
  • We will have a routine trail maintenance crew available each day working on 10 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail. Their job will include water bar cleaning, brushing and removal of any trees or logs on the trail.

VTM Backpack - Sequoia National Forest, PCT Trail
May 1 - May 8, 2010, PCT Backpack
Update -- 2-8-2010, WEEK LONG BACKCOUNTRY BASE CAMP TRIP
We will be based at Dutch John Meadow, 9.3 miles, and 2,300 feet of elevation gain along the PCT and a side trail, on good trail. The camp will be flat, with a good water supply from a spring. This trip will be responsible for about 8 miles of trail that has been infrequently maintained. Work may involve walking an hour to the work sites on trails. Work will include clearing fallen trees, brushing, trail rehabilitation and maintenance. Your gear will be brought in by stock, you will only need a daypack to hike in. All food will be provided. This is an optimal time to hike/work in this area, with comfortable daytime temperatures. Traditionally, we take a day off in the middle of the week for local exploring, or relaxation. Within reasonable distances, are several peaks that can be climbed: Round Mountain, Craig Peak, and others. The Wild and Scenic South Fork Kern River is a 1/2 mile from camp, with wild Golden Trout. Arrive at Kennedy Meadows, west of Pearsonville, on Saturday, hike in on Sunday, hike out the following Saturday. Maximum 8 people.

VTM Trip - Sequoia National Forest
June 23 - 27, 2010, Big Meadows Base Camp
The High Sierra Volunteer Trail Crew is inviting all volunteers to join us for a trail maintenance event at Big Meadow Campground in the Sequoia National Forest on June 23 through June 27. Our campsite is located off the Generals Highway between Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park at an elevation of 7,600 feet.
We will be removing brush and trees, repairing water bars and installing water diversion structures on the Rowell Meadow, Weaver Lake and Jennie Lake trails. If you don't want to work on trails we can use your help in the kitchen morning and evening meals.
Please join us for the long weekend or just for a day. Many of the volunteers are using this event as an early summer getaway weekend for the family and a great way to escape the heat of the valley. This is a unique opportunity to visit two of our most beautiful National Parks, work with like minded people, be served delicious meals and do something positive for our forest.

VTM Trip - Sequoia National Forest
July 14 - 18, 2010, Quaking Aspen Base Camp
The High Sierra Volunteer Trail Crew is inviting all volunteers to join us for a trail maintenance event at Quaking Aspen campground in the Sequoia National Forest on July 14 through 18. The campground is on Highway 190, 42 miles east of the junction of California Highway 65 and California Highway 190 at an elevation of 7000 feet. We will be conducting routine trail maintenance (brush removal, cleaning and repairing water diversion structures) and removal of fallen timber blocking the Summit Trail near our campground.
  • Arrival is Wednesday July 14th
  • Trail work begins Thursday July 15th and will continue through Saturday afternoon.
  • Camp take down and return to our homes is Sunday July 18th.
  • We have set a limit of volunteers for this event at 40.
  • We will be looking for volunteers to help in food preparation and cooking -- these volunteers will remain in camp. 6-8 volunteers are needed for this part of the project.

Please join us for the long weekend or just for a day. This is a favorite family event so bring your whole crew. There is work for all ages and plenty of time off to enjoy a beautiful part of the Sequoia National Forest. Quaking Aspen is near the scenic Freeman Redwood Grove and the Trail of 100 Giants as well as the Needles Fire Lookout Tower.
For additional information please contact Shane Krogen or Rick Chappell.

RoguePhotonic #3286 03/28/10 10:21 PM
OP Offline
I just got back from Crosscut training and it was a great class taught by David Michael.

After discussing all the troubles with the chain saw certification I found it comical when David told us he was a C-C class and was a teacher at the chain saw school but after moving and needing to get re-certified he was given an A rating which he then just handed the card back to the instructor because it was no good for him because you cannot operate a chain saw solo with an A rating.

I've been trying to get on a crew with the High Sierra Volunteer Group but none of the dates so far I am sure will work out, the Kennedy Meadows bridge project is at the same time the PCTA is hosting a week long project out of Kennedy Meadows and I am signed up for that one.

There is a project at Jordan Hot Springs scheduled for around the end of May or the first week of June that is not on the PCTA list, I don't have all the details on that but you can contact Bill Carter at drfwcarter@yahoo.com for the details.

Another project that has now been posted is about a month of work out of Purple Lake near Mammoth, i'm sure most of you know how beautiful an area that is and would be great to work in!, the dates are 21 - 30 Jul 4 - 13 Aug 18 - 27 Aug.

I'm going to be out hiking during all of that project but since I will actually be going through there at that time I may stop in and work for a few days and resume hiking on the trail.

Last edited by RoguePhotonic; 03/28/10 10:23 PM.
RoguePhotonic #3290 03/29/10 09:26 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
I know David Michael, what a great guy!

I don't know if you know, but he is the author of the textbook on crosscut for the USFS:

Saws that Sing

RoguePhotonic #3295 03/29/10 05:07 PM
OP Offline
Yeah he was a great instructor, I already had his book before going to the class but it wasn't until it was almost over that I knew it was his book.

You can't get much better then being taught by the man that literally wrote the book!

The PCTA is having the CPR and basic first aid training on April 6th and May 15th, once I get that I can actually get my certification cards although I don't think I will get a chain saw card and wont bother trying again unless something is worked out because it's a waste of my time.

RoguePhotonic #3326 03/31/10 10:23 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
Wait a minute! You didn't just have David Michael, you also had John Glenn as an instructor!

Whoa!

I think two years back, John (who I've worked with), won the US Forest Service Primitive Skills Award, given to the single individual IN THE COUNTRY who has exhibited the highest accomplishment in these skills.

That WOULD have been a great class!

Ken

RoguePhotonic #3330 03/31/10 01:24 PM
OP Offline
Yeah I wanted to mention John also but all I could remember was "John" lol

He was a great guy also, I didn't have any complaints with the class.

RoguePhotonic #8664 10/26/10 12:19 PM
OP Offline
Ironically enough Steve mentioned my doing trail maintenance right when I was going to dig this thread up again on the subject.

This year is packed with Student Conservation Association (SCA) work projects due to federal stimulus money they are receiving. I am heading out to the project on Section G hosted by the PCTA this Friday and then hopefully I will attend the Walker Pass project working Section F for the full 10 days starting November 3rd.

But those of you in SoCal should check out the schedule since all of November and most of December so far has work scheduled!

http://www.trailprojects.com/projectsdatabase.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard