Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: One Day Hike - First-Timer Questions
quillansculpture #12609 04/09/11 01:22 PM
V
V
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
#1 : From what I know (less than some, more than others) you can leave around 10:00 or so, planning on entering the Whitney Zone around 12:00. Take your time. Yes, permits "may" get checked.
It depends on the interpretation of what is the "trailhead." People are not supposed to enter any trailhead before midnight on the day of the permit. Since the main Mount Whitney Trail starts at Whitney Portal and the day hike permits used to be issued for the main Mount Whitney Trail, the original argument was that you should not be on the trail before midnight. Now that day hike permits are issued for the Whitney Zone, an argument can be made that the trailhead is wherever the route (MMWT or NF) enters the Whitney Zone. Lone Pine Lake is still in the John Muir Wilderness, and you cannot camp "overnight" without an overnight permit. You also cannot sleep on the trail with a day hike permit.

VersatileFred #12611 04/09/11 01:58 PM
CaT Offline
Since no permits are required up to Lone Pine Lake (which is a short distance before the beginning of the Whitney Zone on the MT), the issue of what time you are allowed to hike up to that point on your permit (which you don't have, because you don't need it) is moot.

Since whenever the Whitney Zone has existed in its current form, has anyone had a permit checked between the TH and Lone Pine Lake?

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #12612 04/09/11 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: CaT

Since whenever the Whitney Zone has existed in its current form, has anyone had a permit checked between the TH and Lone Pine Lake?

CaT

Not checked exactly. But I have regularly run into rangers hiking up and down the trail. My permit is always hanging off my pack with my entry date written in marker in huge letters.

CaT #12626 04/10/11 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: CaT
Since whenever the Whitney Zone has existed in its current form, has anyone had a permit checked between the TH and Lone Pine Lake?CaT
I've not anyone check it in that section of trail, but I doubt a ranger would as a permit isn't required.

I haven't had any ranger check my permit in at last 5 years, and I do Whitney at least twice a year via the main trail. It may be just luck of the draw, but my sense is that they have a greatly reduced presence due to lower funding.

KevinR #12627 04/10/11 03:21 PM
There is a "tent" off-trail before you get to Bighorn. Ranger residence. Do not distrub.

You see rangers checking overnight permits at Outpost Camp. They come out of nowhere. Friendly chat at first, but be sure you are trail legal.

Rangers know the "shortcuts" on the trail while minimizing impact on the vegetation. Yes, they practice what they preach. They come out from out of nowhere.

You will see them at the Lone Pine Lake junction. It doesn't hurt to stop and chat with them. You will see them on the trail between John Muir Junction and the summit, but they are not the Inyo variety. Rangers work closely no matter where they are from.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #12628 04/10/11 04:00 PM
Bee Offline
Exactly as you describe, 'tude: both times that I have been on the Main Trail, I encountered the "stealth" ranger at the spot you mention. Bob R. was there to do all the chatting, so I did not have to say or do anything (I am not that great at trail chat)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #12629 04/10/11 04:12 PM
T
T
in the four times that I have been on the MMWT, I have never seen a Ranger.

Last year, at trail crest I noticed that I had left my tag on my backpack and didn't transfer it to my daypack. I figured that if I was confronted, that the ranger might cut me a break. But otherwise, it was a little bit too late to turn back to get the tag.

Long story short...no ranger, so no worries....this time.

+ @ti2d #12644 04/11/11 02:57 AM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
There is a "tent" off-trail before you get to Bighorn. Ranger residence.
Am familiar with its location - as you say, close to Outpost Camp.

+ @ti2d #12671 04/11/11 06:52 PM
K
K
Any advice given by @ti2d is righteous in my book. He coached me through my first attempt up Whitney (made me feel like a hero for aborting the trip to bring my horribly ill daughter back down) and my second attempt the following year which found me dancing at the summit. Hitting the trail around midnight worked well for us in a couple of ways:
1) it ensures a much cooler hike
2) it's a good way to beat any possible afternoon t-storms
3) coming down when most everyone is still coming up is a great energy boost, both mentally and physically
4) hiking in the dark at first makes for a more interesting hike coming down, especially after Trail Camp. You see meadows, waterfalls, etc that you didn't know existed going up!

The only draw back I found was that the last never-ending 3 miles to the Portal are in the heat of the day.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. John Muir
tdtz #12686 04/12/11 12:39 AM
Originally Posted By: tdtz
Last year, at trail crest I noticed that I had left my tag on my backpack and didn't transfer it to my daypack. I figured that if I was confronted, that the ranger might cut me a break.

And keep in mind they all carry radios, so can call the VC to check whether you have a permit or not. Personally, I would not stop a summit bid on Whitney - or other mountain - if a tag got separated from my pack. I don't recall ever seeing a tag blowing in the wind on Whitney, but have seen several on Mt. St. Helens.

Kandy #12689 04/12/11 05:19 AM
W
W
Kandy,

That last 3 miles is never ending any time of the day. The first time I did it a between 8 and 9 PM. I asked a couple how much longer to the Portal and they said 45 minutes...I figured I was about 10 minutes out.

wbtravis #12694 04/12/11 06:27 AM
K
K
wbtravis,
I was convinced that someone had moved the parking lot down the mountain towards Lone Pine while we were hiking. It wasn't any better the second time either . . . those last 3 miles are simply the most unending, brain-teasing, strength sapping ever! But as soon as you enter the Portal, it all just melts away!

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. John Muir
wbtravis #12695 04/12/11 06:32 AM
Even taking the shortcut at the JM Wilderness sign doesn't seem to speed things up that much. But at least you bypass the NF water crossing when tired and ready for the day to be over.

Bulldog34 #12718 04/12/11 02:30 PM
The last 3 miles is an interesting phenomenon. I don't think it is unique to MWMT. I have experienced the same on many, perhaps every, a yo-yo day hike I can remember. Most recently on the AR. How can this stretch be so beautiful on the way up and the cause of so much suffering on the way down? No way are you more pumped for the hike any time as you are in those first 3 miles, or as tired and ready for the B&B* as on the last.

It could be an E ride and still be agonizing.

My strategy at this point is to descend at the same rate I came up, rest, and take in everything I might have missed the first time around. Its not often you get such a second chance late in the game.

*Burger & Beer, Bed & Breakfeast, Bed & _______, Benedectine & Brandy, Brioche & Bordeaux . . .

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
quillansculpture #12795 04/13/11 02:41 PM
Rod Offline
Joe you are right that is a very tough section to stay on the trail at night.I had to do it without my own headlamp in the dark after summiting Whitney heading back to basecamp at Outpost.Lots of false and off trail, trails.

Rod #12818 04/13/11 10:01 PM
S
S
The Counting Switchbacks section of this thread has been given its own topic.

Posts following the last one above can be found here:
  Counting Switchbacks

wbtravis #12883 04/14/11 07:01 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Welcome, Camminatore!

Regarding the midnight start: I have been told by National Forest staff that you can hike up to Lone Pine Lake without a permit. It is only beyond the lake, and the Wilderness boundary, that you must have a valid permit. So I suppose you could start at 11 p.m.

But that would be foolish -- the sleep deprivation will catch up to you before you reach the summit. And the summit is only half way! Lots more people leave at 3 or 4 a.m. You won't be alone.

All the info about acclimatization is on the mark. Here are two recent discussions worth reading:

Anyone know about a High altitue B&B or Campground?

recomendations for an acclimatization route up the summit?

As posted, I was told just the opposite by the people within the same building when it comes to starting time. I have found it best to just get up and go if you can't sleep. 2 of our last 3 we were up at 12:30 and moving towards the summit at 1:30. I, like many, a couple of things working against me sleeping the night before a summit attempt...elevation and anxiety.

Those two time were from just under 12,000' but I have problems even at 8,000' from time to time. You couple that with the excitement, sleep is very difficult to come by. So, rather than toss n' turn, go! You can always catch 40 winks once the sun comes up...and we have.

I too have been told both answers for a starting time, but let's be honest here.

1. There is NEVER going to be a ranger checking permits at or near midnight. They don't have the staff.

2. You CAN NOT be ticketed for not having a valid permit below the sign.

3. If somehow there IS a ranger checking permits at or around midnight AND he/she does give you a ticket BELOW the sign, enjoy your day in court making them eat crow. You can legally hike up to the sign any time day or night. You must have a valid permit to enter the Whitney Zone (past the sign).

Start anytime you want. Once you go past the sign you are required to have a permit. Odds of getting it checked before breakfast are slim. I have slightly more "legal" summits of Whitney than "illegal" no permit summits. I'm older and wiser and try to always follow the rules now. Still, I am rarely checked for some reason.

Last year my first day hike and my MR trip were without the "Cattle tags". They didn't have them at the ranger station yet so they sent us out old school with the paper permits to put in our pocket. We passed many rangers and were never asked for a permit. Though the MR was with RichardP and I don't think they check him much. smile

What I use for a successful day hike is simple. I get to the Portal as early as possible the day before. I try to make it in time for the pancake. I nap and eat lunch at the Portal. I BS with Doug and the regulars as much as possible and then get another nap. If it's just me or me and the boy we roll out around 3 or 4 am. (We usually sleep in the parking lot behind the store but you need permission to do that) If I'm leading rookies I get them up at 0100 and on the trail by 0200. I lead until we pass LPL so the pace isn't too fast. Then I get the group's weak link to lead us to Outpost. Before Outpost I brief on respectful use of headlamps and we blow through. I keep the group together, always. One person fails, we all fail. I try to hike for 50-60 minutes and rest them 5. We take a good 15 minute break at Trail Camp and make sure everyone is ready. Then I lead us out and up the switchbacks to set a slow pace. I try to go 30-40 minutes and rest 5. I keep everyone snacking and drinking during those 5 minutes and drinking the whole way up. If it's not too windy we take another 10 at Trail Crest. Then 10 minutes to rest at the summit and 20-30 for pics. Then we head down.

It's never a fast trip, but so far I've been 100% successful no matter who I take.

Leave when you want, hike slow and easy and take some pics. Your body is resting while you stop to take that pic. smile

Remember - there are 24 hours in a day. Use as many as you need. Assuming the weather allows of course...............DUG

Last edited by DUG; 04/14/11 07:42 PM.
DUG #12885 04/14/11 07:23 PM
Bee Offline
Beesides, I think that it would bee a nice addition to the trip scrapbook to have a ticket dated at midnight on the Whitney Trail.....think of the mileage that you would get out of that story smirk

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #12886 04/14/11 07:41 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Bee
Beesides, I think that it would bee a nice addition to the trip scrapbook to have a ticket dated at midnight on the Whitney Trail.....think of the mileage that you would get out of that story smirk

Some day I'll tell you the story of when I was ticketed TWICE on the same day. Good times..................................................DUG

DUG #12903 04/15/11 06:03 AM
W
W
DUG,

A noob would be wise to take your plan seriously. You can't beat a 100% success rate.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard