Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 27 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2979 Members
13 Forums
5041 Topics
47498 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#1284 - 12/13/09 05:08 AM Latest technology & techniques in mountain rescue
Bob R Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, California
The International Commission for Alpine Rescue (IKAR) has released a 20-minute video on their recent annual congress in Zermatt. Suggest you click on the little icon at the right of the progress bar, to view it in full screen mode.

Some of it doesn't apply so well over here, but the footage on avalanche rescue is pretty eye-opening. And the use of UAVs in search is provocative, although it may not become practical in my lifetime.

You can go here to read more about IKAR, and to see its relationship to this country's MRA--the Mountain Rescue Association.

#1286 - 12/13/09 08:24 AM Re: Latest technology & techniques in mountain rescue [Re: Bob R]
Bob West Online

Loc: Bishop, CA, USA
Thanks Bob! It was good to see our old friend the LAMA helicopter still doing the heavy lifting.

The unicore rope from BEAL is long overdue, and will be welcomed by climbers as well as SAR personnel. I wonder if there will be a weight penalty due to the bonding material?

The avalanche beacon segment ought to remind us that it is important to PRACTICE and become proficient with their use BEFORE setting out into the snow country with your climbing companions.

Bob West

#1290 - 12/13/09 09:12 AM Re: Latest technology & techniques in mountain rescue [Re: Bob West]
Rod Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, Ca. USA
Thanks Bob!!!
That was fascinating. Pretty neat technology. Ski passes with transmiters and drones. Good stuff.

#1294 - 12/13/09 01:59 PM Re: Latest technology & techniques in mountain rescue [Re: Rod]
Ken Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I was particularly taken by the UAV segment. I can't help but be impressed that the huge interest by the military in UAV's will have a spillover effect in this technology. These tiny, lightweight devices would seem to have a huge advantage over the Predator-type for SAR applications.