Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: JMT - food supply at Bishop pass Tr. Jn & Kearsarge Lake
Krishna #13006 04/17/11 06:00 AM
D
DUG Offline
D
No, that was 46 hours or so. In 2009 we left Roads End at midnight, headed up Paradise Valley and hit the JMT. Somewhere after Pichot Pass my "partner" bailed on me (just let me get ahead and turned around - dick) and I pushed on over Mather on down to about 10,000 by 0100, 25 hours later. I took a 4 hour nap and then dropped down to the Middle Fork junction. While heading towards Simpson Meadow I got pretty sick. I was able to drag myself most of the way up Granite Pass but couldn't go on. Nearly out of water I bivied for a few hours. In the morning I found water and cleared the pass, but getting up over the saddle was brutal. I ran into some other hikers who stayed with me until they stopped to eat. They suggested that I go on and they would quickly catch me. I didn't let them catch me, but I was still 12 hours overdue. Good times, real good times. I now use my son as a partner or go solo.............................DUG

Krishna #13023 04/18/11 07:47 AM
G
Woodsy Guy
Woodsy Guy
G
Hi:

I'm the Charlotte ranger. Steve's right -- you can't leave food in a bear box to be picked up later. Too many people never pick it up and it becomes garbage and a pain to haul out. But, yes, give the Berner's a call or email. They'll spot your stuff over to Charlotte Lake and can leave it there (in exchange for taking out garbage) or meet you directly. They'll also pack out your garbage.

Have a good trip.

George

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
Krishna #13117 04/21/11 05:23 AM
K
K
Originally Posted By: kr1sh
Looking for info on food & gas resupply at Bishop Pass Tr jn (RS) on JMT and also at Kearsarge Lake Tr. Jn. near JMT. We have permits for JMT thru hike starting at Tuolumne Meadows on July 20 and ending on WP on Aug 11. I am looking for food resupply at these two points and could not get much help on the google. Any local supplier at Bishop or Independence I can directly contact?

According to current schedule:

1. our rest day at Bishop Pass Tr. Jn (near RS) is on Aug 1 (camping there on July 31 & Aug 1 nights).

2. Our rest day at Kearsarge first lake CG is on Aug 6 (camping there on Aug 5 & 6 nights. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

I might be able to help with Kearsarge depending on how heavy of a load you want carried in. I'm interested in heading over Kearsage Pass sometime this summer, and August 6th would be as good a day as any - I don't mind carrying extra stuff over the pass as long as it's not too awful heavy and maybe you could work your way up toward the pass and Onion Valley and meet me along the way. Drop me a message.

George #13139 04/22/11 04:48 AM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
George:
Thanks! I thought it would be feasible as we saw some packages with names and dates of pickup in the first Kearsarge Lake bearbox last year and also met some thru hikers who were waiting there for their pickup. Now its a NO.
I have one query: Do you know where Ranger Darryl is? Last year Ranger Rob told us that he is near Rae Lakes. I met him in the summer of 92 at Rock Ck & Crab tree. With one casual remark, he gave a psych-boost to complete my first Whitney with a cramped leg! Like to meet him if I can this year.

With Love & gratitude to all you Rangers!

KathyW #13166 04/23/11 05:32 AM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Kathy: Thanks! My food+gas will be around 12 lbs or less. I sent you PM yesterday.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard