Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for a new torch
#13488 05/02/11 08:54 AM
OP Offline

that's what I need.

I don't need something you can ride your bike at 40mph with, just 40-50 feet of decent light so I don't miss the next bend on the trail. Low weight and battery good life is key, but reliability should also be there. Anyone have a favorite light of recent vintage?

Been doing some googling and liked the stats I saw for the Princeton Tec Remix - 200 hours on 3 AAA batteries on low beam - really don't want AAA batteries in my pack (they don't fit anything else I use), but if the thing runs 200 hours, I think it'll be fine, even if I use it for 4-6 hours a day during the darker seasons.

Re: Looking for a new torch
Fishmonger #13506 05/02/11 04:47 PM
How about a 500 dollar head lamp that will throw light 300M?

Nothing like making campers think a car is driving up the switch backs lol.

RoguePhotonic #13510 05/02/11 06:09 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
How about a 500 dollar head lamp that will throw light 300M?

Nothing like making campers think a car is driving up the switch backs lol.

I saw that thing - I guess every market has a ridiculously overpriced product at the top end, just in case somebody with too much cash is looking to buy "the best"

It may make the bears wonder what kind of alien ship is landing in their valley.

Fishmonger #13512 05/02/11 06:23 PM
S
S
Who's that dude with the funny accent? smile

It turns out that I have a Princeton Tec Remix. Here's REI's image:

Here's REI's specs:     Average run time   High: 28 / low: 200 hours

This the third LED headlamp I have bought. They keep getting better. First was Petzl Tikka. (Lost it inside a folded up tent for 6-8 months. Headband got all twisted.) Then a Tikka Plus (Used it until its frame cracked). Both the old ones still work!

The thing about any battery-run LED light: They start out bright, and as you use them over time, the light output diminishes. After a while I start to wonder what is wrong. Then I put in new batteries, and ...Wow!

So the 200 hours claim... I'd guess they last 100 hours, the light is hardly usable.

That said, I really do like this headlamp. It runs a high/low mode on both the Maxbrite and the "3 Ultrabrite" lights. The Maxbrite is quite a bit brighter. I usually run the lowest setting until the batteries get low. The super bright setting would be great for looking for a hard-to-follow trail.

Steve C #13530 05/03/11 06:30 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Steve C

So the 200 hours claim... I'd guess they last 100 hours, the light is hardly usable.

That said, I really do like this headlamp. It runs a high/low mode on both the Maxbrite and the "3 Ultrabrite" lights. The Maxbrite is quite a bit brighter. I usually run the lowest setting until the batteries get low. The super bright setting would be great for looking for a hard-to-follow trail.

great info - my currently light starts out dim, and then just gets dimmer, so this will be an upgrade grin

100 hours sounds good enough, especially if I do manage to resupply at VVR in mid October. I'll be carrying my current headlamp (Rayovac no-name) as a backup anyway - it's virtually weightless with a single AA lithium in it (55g or 1.9 oz with battery) and will be sufficient if I should run out of AAA juice, as I carry plenty of AAs for GPS, Spot and camera.

Fishmonger #14102 05/16/11 08:39 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
If you do go to VVR, say hi to my old mountaineering partner, Jim, the owner. He is a mountaineer, and keeps up on the info in the area, if you need any.

Is this a fishing-oriented trip?

Ken #14124 05/16/11 03:14 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Ken
If you do go to VVR, say hi to my old mountaineering partner, Jim, the owner. He is a mountaineer, and keeps up on the info in the area, if you need any.

Is this a fishing-oriented trip?

I know Jim, and he obviously knows many more people, because you're not the only one who has told me to go say hi to him. The most memorable guy called himself "the Alligator Wrestler" when he met me at Rae Lakes a few years ago, helping me fix that knee bandage and recommending I go and take advantage of the VVR "first drink is on the house" promise grin

I never really take time to fish on these trips and this one will be even tougher - days are shorter and I need to cover larger distances between few resupplies (VVR I guess, nothing else).

By the way, I scored a Princeton Tec Remix on steep and cheep for $20 - have not received it yet. Wonder if it will run on Lithium bateries (Princeton Tec doesn't say it does, but that doesn't mean it won't work)

Link Copied to Clipboard