Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bendandi Predicted Rome Quake 5-11-11; Spain Rocked Instead
#13917 05/11/11 11:20 AM
OP Offline
If you believe in people who can predict the future then you'll want to hear what happened in 1915 and today. In 1915, Bendandi predicted a huge earthquake would rock Rome on May 11, 2011. Bendandi was close, but no cigar, a huge earthquake rocked Spain today. Bendandi almost had a winning prediction.

May 10, 2011Rome trembles at earthquake prophecyROME (AFP) - Will Rome crumble on Wednesday? Thousands of alarmed Italians are fleeing the capital amid rumours that a seismologist predicted that a devastating earthquake will strike the Eternal City.
Scholars poring over the works of Raffaele Bendandi, who died in 1979, inferred that the self-taught seismologist had calculated that a massive earthquake would rock Rome on May 11, 2011, though the date is not explicitly written.
The president of the Bendandi Foundation tried to quash the rumour, saying: "I can say with complete certainty that in Bendandi's documents there is no trace of a prophecy about an earthquake in Rome on May 11, 2011."
That didn't stop Italians from panicking, notably because the controversial Bendandi is credited with having correctly predicted earthquakes during his lifetime on the basis of planetary alignments.
Police have been flooded with alarmed calls, and Rome's city hall decided to open a toll-free number "to calm the citizenry," an official said.
The flow of people to the outskirts of Rome has also spiked, according to Italy's main farmers association Coldiretti.
Across the capital, a noticeable number of shops are shuttered with notices citing vacation or illness, the ANSA news agency reported.
The scare comes just two years after a major earthquake hit the ancient city of L'Aquila, only around 100 kilometres (60 miles) from Rome, killing 308 people.
To allay fears, Rome's Sapienza University is offering a conference on Wednesday titled: "Waiting for the Earthquake: Knowing About Earthquakes and Understanding Their Impact to Learn How to Protect Yourselves."

11 May 2011 Last updated at 15:45 ET
Deadly earthquake rocks Lorca in southern Spain
A bell from a church falls and narrowly misses a Spanish reporter
A magnitude 5.3 earthquake has toppled several buildings in southern Spain, near the town of Lorca, killing at least 10 people, officials say.
The quake struck at a depth of just 1km (0.6 miles), some 120km south-west of Alicante, at 1850 (1650 GMT), the US Geological Survey reported.
TV shots showed rescue workers rushing through debris-littered streets.
Old buildings were badly damaged by the quake, which followed a smaller 4.4-magnitude one about two hours earlier.
It is not clear how many people were injured, although Spanish media say there are dozens.
Spanish TV captured dramatic images of a church bell tower crashing to the ground, landing just metres from the cameraman.
Shocked residents and workers rushed out of buildings and gathered in squares, parks and open spaces. Lines of cars lay crushed under tonnes of rubble and a hospital was evacuated as a precaution.
A doctor told the online edition of El Pais that she and her colleagues went into the streets and treated people with serious injuries "many unconscious".
"The ambulances could not reach them. They took more than 40 minutes," she said.
The earthquakes were felt over a wide area.
"Unfortunately, we can confirm... deaths due to cave-ins and falling debris," Lorca Mayor Francisco Jodar told radio station Ser.
"We are trying to find out if there are people inside the collapsed houses," he added.
Spain's Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero has deployed emergency military units to the scene, the Spanish EFE news agency reported.
Mr Zapatero was in a meeting with Spanish King Juan Carlos when he was informed of the quake, the premier's office said in a statement.
The BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Madrid says the quake is the most serious to hit Spain in 50 years.
Spain has hundreds of earthquakes every year but most of these are too small to be noticed. Murcia is the country's most seismically active area and suffered tremors in 2005 and 1999.
A number of aftershocks have been felt in the region after Wednesday's quake, and authorities fear the death toll could rise.

Lynnaroo
Re: Bendandi Predicted Rome Quake 5-11-11; Spain Rocked Instead
KevinR #13919 05/11/11 12:25 PM
Originally Posted By: KevinR
Within the context of the Earth, Spain and Italy are relatively close. My hunch is that Bendandi's theories will be taken a bit more seriously now, and examined more closely.

Why?
Quote:
The president of the Bendandi Foundation tried to quash the rumour, saying: "I can say with complete certainty that in Bendandi's documents there is no trace of a prophecy about an earthquake in Rome on May 11, 2011."

How can it be made any clearer? There is no prediction to discuss.

You want someone to predict the future? I will go out on a limb and predict that there will be a devastating earthquake during the second half of 2011.

While I'm at it, I predict that donald Trump will make an ass of himself within the week.

AlanK #13920 05/11/11 12:52 PM
Here's some good, clean fun.
Quote:
The California earthquake of April, 1969, was a monumental one. Astrologers warned that a large slice of California — some of them said the whole state — would fall into the Pacific Ocean as a result of a devastating earthquake. People moved away because of their faith in the prediction, and Governor Ronald Reagan had to issue a statement that he'd been planning for some time to take his vacation outside the state during April. What happened during April? Nothing.

I remember the joking about Reagan making his vacation plans based on an astrological prediction. My prediciton? I have said for years that, when the Big One comes, the rest of the US will slide into the ocean and California will be all that's left.

AlanK #13921 05/11/11 12:56 PM
"Still May 11th."

Italy time is 9 hours preceding the WZT, so yes, for another 4 minutes.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
AlanK #13923 05/11/11 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: AlanK
You want someone to predict the future? I will go out on a limb and predict that there will be a devastating earthquake during the second half of 2011.

Apparently this guy predicted "the earthquake of January 13, 1915 which killed 30,000 people in Avezzano. He also forecast the quake of May 6, 1976 in Friuli which killed 1,000 and left another 45,000 homeless." (article here) He also predicted another earthquake but was off by 2 days.

Don't know quite what to make of it, but I don't dismiss him as blithely as you seem to. Have learned it's unwise to dismiss something simply because I don't understand/agree with someone's methods.

Ever read the New Yorker article re: the scientific method? It's a bit unsettling, but apparently the information the writer presents has been known by some for some time.

KevinR #13924 05/11/11 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: KevinR
Apparently this guy predicted "the earthquake of January 13, 1915 which killed 30,000 people in Avezzano. He also forecast the quake of May 6, 1976 in Friuli which killed 1,000 and left another 45,000 homeless." (article here) He also predicted another earthquake but was off by 2 days.

Don't know quite what to make of it, but I don't dismiss him as blithely as you seem to. Have learned it's unwise to dismiss something simply because I don't understand/agree with someone's methods.

Ever read the New Yorker article re: the scientific method? It's a bit unsettling, but apparently the information the writer presents has been known by some for some time.

Of course I agree with your comment about blithely dismissing someone without knowing anything about them. And I don't believe that I blithely dismissed anyone. I was just commenting in a joking fashion about the fact that, in this particular instance, there does not seem to have been a prediction. What is there to dismiss?

I'll check out the New Yorker article.

AlanK #13925 05/11/11 03:31 PM
OP Offline
Ah crud, now I have to look the word 'blithely', I wish you guys would stop throwing out words I don't know, I'm forever having to do Wikipedia searches. I better not find out this word could have been said by a word I learned in elementary school.

AlanK, I could feel your fire from where I'm sitting. You're in Glendale and I'm in Costa Mesa. It's good to get worked up, it gets your heart pumping so you know you're alive.

Wagga, is it still the 11th?

P.S. I believe in ghosts too, they're my favorite.

Okay, I looked up 'blithely'. Thanks for teaching me a new word.
I think I'll use this one from time-to-time.

Maybe everyone's getting a bit cranky on the WZ, I better go post a silly joke to lighten things up on this board.

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 05/11/11 03:53 PM.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #13927 05/11/11 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
AlanK, I could feel your fire from where I'm sitting. You're in Glendale and I'm in Costa Mesa. It's good to get worked up, it gets your heart pumping so you know you're alive.

I should get a blood pressure cuff or something. I didn't even know I was worked up. I just took advantage of another opportunity to be a smart ass by un-originally quoting from what you posted.

But I do think I am old enough to be a curmudgeon. frown (Is there a proper smiley for "curmudgeon"?)

I'll still laugh at a silly joke. smile

AlanK #13929 05/11/11 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: AlanK
Of course I agree with your comment about blithely dismissing someone without knowing anything about them. And I don't believe that I blithely dismissed anyone. I was just commenting in a joking fashion about the fact that, in this particular instance, there does not seem to have been a prediction. What is there to dismiss?
I'll check out the New Yorker article.

I have no idea why millions of Italians were convinced that today was "the day", but it came from somewhere, despite the statement from that Foundation.

Personally, I don't know what to make of this guy. What I do know is that the odds of predicting the time & place of an earthquake are astronomical. Doing it once is noteworthy, but to do it again? Yeah, and maybe he was just incredibly lucky.

lynn-a-roo #13931 05/11/11 04:19 PM
Spain must be built out of match sticks. A 5.1 is hardly what I would consider much of a quake. It was shallow but still...

I monitor USGS every day and I don't even consider a quake until it's well over 6.0.

As for predictions I was handed a booklet from a woman on the street corner some time back talking about this end of the world. It said this is the end of all ends that god is not just killing mankind off this time but destroying the entire planet. It stated that the Bible has given them "absolute proof!" that this is going to happen. A very bold statement I thought. It said something like god said after killing off everyone it would be done again and completely 7000 years after the first time which is May 21st 2011.

AlanK #13932 05/11/11 04:20 PM
OP Offline
Dang, I've heard the word curmudgeon a million times, but never looked it up. I always thought it sounded like something that lived in a shell in the sea. Well, here I go again, back to Wikipedia.....now cut it out with the words~!

Okay, I'm back from Wikipedia and I have to say I don't think you're a curmudgeon but thank goodness for people like you or the WZ would be boring as you know what.

I do have to agree with the other person in this thread, can't remember who it was other than Wagga, it was either KevinR or RoguePhotonic, anyway, I agree that Mr. Bendandi had something going for him that made it possible for him to make several correct predictions. Spooky, isn't it...love spooky, love goosebumps, and anything that makes your hair stand.

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 05/11/11 04:27 PM.

Lynnaroo
RoguePhotonic #13933 05/11/11 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
Spain must be built out of match sticks. A 5.1 is hardly what I would consider much of a quake. It was shallow but still...

I monitor USGS every day and I don't even consider a quake until it's well over 6.0.

As for predictions I was handed a booklet from a woman on the street corner some time back talking about this end of the world. It said this is the end of all ends that god is not just killing mankind off this time but destroying the entire planet. It stated that the Bible has given them "absolute proof!" that this is going to happen. A very bold statement I thought. It said something like god said after killing off everyone it would be done again and completely 7000 years after the first time which is May 21st 2011.

Maybe you were referring to this? Apparently there are billboards around the country. Bill Mahr mentioned it on his show a couple of weeks ago.

KevinR #13934 05/11/11 05:05 PM
OP Offline
OMG, MAY 21ST, THAT'S JUST TEN (ONE ZERO) DAYS AWAY. NOW THAT'S SCARY.

I better go shopping, not too many days left to do what I love most.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #13935 05/11/11 05:28 PM
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
I better go shopping, not too many days left to do what I love most.

Keep an eye out for asbestos galoshes. Once May 21st is here, they'll be in short supply.

Although the nutjob I heard on the radio said it was the 20th. Discord even among the Informed.

lynn-a-roo #13936 05/11/11 05:31 PM
Just in case the world does not end this year, it would be useful to be able to predict earthquakes. Some people believe that Raffaele Bendandi could do that. Now, I have not carefully examined his record, although I am aware that he is associated with a couple of famous predictions. I would love it if he actually had a prediction method that works.

Suppose that his method works. He has an army of fans and followers. Someone out there should have learned his system. They could then have predicted, say, the big Indian Ocean tsunami a few years ago, the more recent Haiti quake, the huge Chilean quake, and the recent huge Japanese quake. Or not.

But, reaching from beyond the grave, Bendani could predict a Roman quake that didn't happen. Or not.

AlanK #13937 05/11/11 05:37 PM
You're late on the Trump thing.

Mike
Mike Condron #13938 05/11/11 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Condron
You're late on the Trump thing.

What? Next, you're going to tell me that he takes government handouts.

AlanK #13942 05/11/11 06:09 PM
I apologize. Ghosts were mentioned and I failed to post this.

AlanK #13963 05/12/11 03:59 PM
OP Offline
That was a great link, AlanK, I haven't seen that movie in such a long time, it was fun watching, thanks for posting it.

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 05/12/11 03:59 PM.

Lynnaroo

Link Copied to Clipboard