Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone climb Whitney after ankle surgery? Looking for advice
Mlaveson #13988 05/13/11 05:57 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks, Mlaveson, I'll give pool running a try. The pool will be really cold for a while (does not get warm until late June even if they claim to heat it) so that will help me warm up lol

NJ hiker #14000 05/13/11 09:03 AM
NJ,

Broke my leg (spiral fracture of the distal fibula)coming down from High Camp on Aconcagua, hiked down on it, got home to U.S., and had a plate put in early Feb 2008. I climbed up Mt. Washington (NH) in early June 2008. Because of limited range-of-motion, I couldn't go down and had to be taken down from the weather station by car. Once home I regularly hiked Mt. Baldy but the plate was bothering me so I had it removed early August 2008. Went back in a cast and PT again. Seven weeks later I left to climb Mt. Whitney wearing a 30 lb pack. I summited but my ankle cried the whole time - I looked at it as extreme physical therapy.

Now, while it wasn't pleasant I was on a training schedule. You need to see where you are in PT and with your doctor's blessing - make the call as the time gets closer.

My two cents worth.

NJ hiker #14026 05/14/11 05:23 AM
B
B
You've had lots of good advice from other forum members. The only thing I can add is to not be afraid to bail-out in the middle of the hike if the pain becomes too much for you.

When I was about your age, I had bi-lateral big toe surgery. After healing, and after clearance from my surgeon, I day hiked to Italy Pass from Pine Creek trailhead and back. On the descent, I had to take pain meds, and really slowed down, but managed okay.

If your doctor gives you the green light, don't let yourself get psyched-out be unreasonable worries. Take two poles, go slow coming down, etc. Learn how to do an ankle wrap, just in case you need the extra support. Regarding pain meds - don't wait until the pain is severe before taking them. Ask your doc about the meds.

Bob West #14033 05/14/11 09:29 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
I've fractured my right ankle twice. First in a motorcycle accident, in which my toes were pointing backwards (yeah), and the second time in a slip on the E ledges on the M Route. I walked out on the second one.

with the first, they told me they thought I'd be able to walk again, but not run....and they were right.

I had 25 good years, but the second seemed to accelerate the arthritis that was developing. I've lost a lot of range of motion, such that when I go up on a slope, my ankle doesn't bend sufficiently, and I have to carry my weight with my muscles, which exhaust quickly. Hiking involves significant pain.

My advice? Push your rehab, strengthen the soft tissues which heal MUCH more slowly than bone. Really try to protect the joint, additional injuries will pay major problems. Hiking poles used properly, will pay huge dividends. Don't hike without them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard