Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Wild Wild West Marathon - May 7th
Steve C #13857 05/09/11 10:22 AM
Rod Offline
Great job Joe. Loved the video. It is a spectacular view.Loved DJ singing...lol
Hope to recover for next years WWM.That looks amazing.I was in Pittsburgh this weekend and could barely walk up a set of stairs so I am a long ways away from any training or hiking, walking yet.

quillansculpture #13890 05/10/11 09:12 AM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
And yes, that jerk Gary did wake me from Atlanta at 4:30 A.M.

Actually, Joe, it was 4:45 a.m. - if it had been 4:30, there's no telling what label I'd be wearing . . . wink

Glad you, DJ, and wazzu had a blast. The video was cool, and makes me itch to get out there.

Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
Now I gotta call DJ and tell him what we're doing next!

Might that be Mt. Whitney on July 5th, by any chance?

quillansculpture #13902 05/10/11 06:06 PM
W
W
QS wrote up a good recap of the day, so not too much to add except the next time I hike the WWW Marathon I'm going to use this.

And if anyone ever gets a chance to hike with QS and his buddy DJ, be prepared to laugh and hang out with 2 really terrific guys. If it wasn't for them, I don't think I would have finished.

On second thought, if it wasn't for QS, I wouldn't have been there at all. wink

The one thing missing from the recap, and I may be spilling a secret, some of the water stops had ice cold beer, and one had tequila. (The tequila water stop had lime and salt to go with it.) I have to admit to being tempted to just hang out at a water stop, have a beer or two and get a ride back into town with one of the volunteers.

Really, think about it, a beautiful day in the Alabama Hills, cold beer, plenty of snack food, and really nice folks to hang out with. Why would I keep hiking up and down hills in very dry hot weather, with snakes, lizards, flies, blooming wild flowers, and a couple of wild and crazy guys? But I did and had a once in a lifetime experience.

So, Thanks to Quillansculpture for making me aware of the WWW marathon.

quillansculpture #13940 05/11/11 05:47 PM
QS, Wazzu and DJ,

Awesome job on the marathon, you all ROCK! I was thinking about you over the weekend and wondered how you were doing on your WWWM quest.

I loved watching the videos QS posted, but I got a bit confused when I saw QS on the top of Mt. Whitney. Did the marathon take you all the way to the top of Mt. Whitney? If you all went to the top and back down in 8.5 hours that's an amazing feat that I can hardly fathom.

Can someone please post a picture of your medal. I've always wanted to see what the medals look like since they're handmade.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #13971 05/12/11 04:48 PM
W
W
lynn-a-roo,

I posted the 'medal' in the photo forum.

We did not summit Whitney. The 1st video is from the race. When it ends, a video of QS on the summit starts. Just one of those technology things that has the videos run together.

lynn-a-roo #13975 05/12/11 05:28 PM
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
I loved watching the videos QS posted, but I got a bit confused when I saw QS on the top of Mt. Whitney.

Hmmmmm . . . that video looks familiar. Where have I seen it before? Oh yeah - from the other side of the camera!

Bulldog34 #14132 05/16/11 05:11 PM
Bulldog,

So that was you with QS on the video and at the summit. Funny, you don't sound like a Bulldog.

By the way, I think I asked you this question before, but I forget what your answer was, 'who or what is wearing sunglasses in your avatar'?

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 05/16/11 05:17 PM.

Lynnaroo
wazzu #14133 05/16/11 05:15 PM
Wazzu,

As I said once before in a PM, I LOVE THIS MEDAL, IT'S BEAUTIFUL! I didn't want to comment on the photo forum because I hope everyone will see that you have posted the Wild Wild West Marathon Medal and will take a moment to look at it. I'm really impressed by it. Did you get the story behind the making of the medal. I would love to read it if you know the story and will post it.

Thank you for posting this photo of the medal.

Lynn

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #14151 05/17/11 03:16 AM
Lynn, yep that's me capturing Joe in all his glory. As to sounding like a Bulldog - if you mean the southern accent, most Atlantans don't have one of any consequence. I lost most of mine at a pretty early age.

The avatar is Tucker (see Bee's Hiking Buddies thread). He was originally my daughter's, but she gave him to me before a solo Death Valley trip years ago. Since she couldn't go, she wanted me take him along so I wouldn't be "lonely". He's been dangling from my pack ever since on any trip out west.

I've almost lost him a couple of times - once at Mt. Rainier and another in Yosemite. Luckily I found him both times. I use a pair of carabiners to keep him on my pack now, instead of just one. The shot in the avatar photo was Tucker at Cottonwood Pass on a very sunny day. He borrowed my shades for the shot. wink

Here's Tucker on Wildrose Peak in Death Valley a couple of months ago - looking for the summit register:

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard