Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Would anybody like to join me in October for Whitney
#14814 06/05/11 08:18 AM
J
OP Offline
J
So for those who do not know me

which is probably most since im new here. My name is john im 29 years old , a paramedic from san diego and a husband and father of two. I love backpacking and tend to stay in yosemite. well i was hoping to start putting whitney on my yearly schedule and was looking for someone to go with in october. If any one is willing to go for a couple days please let me know. any comments or kind suggestions im up to listen.

Respectfully

John Prietto

God Bless

Last edited by John Prietto; 06/05/11 05:47 PM.

"God has not called us to be successful but he has called us to be faithful"- Mother Teresa
Re: Would anybody like to join me in October for Whitney
John Prietto #14824 06/05/11 07:07 PM
S
S
John, welcome to WhitneyZone!

I hope you get some takers for October.

You should know, though... that is pretty late in the year, with less daylight and more darkness, plus you run the risk of snow arriving before or during your visit.

Are you picking October because you have a permit for that time? If so, I hope you are aware that there are lots of no-show permits available especially the last half of September. Check the Unused Permits 2010 page to see what was left AFTER all the walk-ins were accommodated.

John Prietto #14825 06/05/11 07:20 PM
A
A
John,
October is getting a bit late for backpacking for me. I'm only planning one more trip up Whitney after this Saturday (if I can get a permit), and it'll be via the Mountaineer's Route. The only time I'd backpack for Whitney is to go up Russell as well (which I plan on doing this year), but it'd have to be before October when the days are long, the temperatures are higher, and the ground free of snow.

Who knows though, if I do go again in October, I could join you for the first or second leg of your trip. If like Steve said, you're going in October because you're worried about getting a permit, I got one last year on the Memorial Day weekend. smile

Anonymous1 #14827 06/05/11 09:07 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Well im glad i recieved some replies!! Well you both pose interesting questions.

1) No i do not have a permit for october although i was going to get one for october seeing that theres some open days in the 3week of october.

2) Am i worried about permits? Yes , but my current understanding is that they keep 40% available for walk ins? is that correct?

3) Why october? Well thats tricky.. here is where i differ.

part of me enjoy's the snow and bad weather(to a certain point) very much. I love the dark skys, cold snow while having some hot top ramen, quiet with nobody there just you.

On the other hand i like just clear nice weather. (although i hate hot weather....I'd rather be cold than hot)

So with that said what dates 2600fromarti are you planning on going?

Would you go in september?

whats the temperature like in september? and how about drinking water resources?

So with that said.

"God has not called us to be successful but he has called us to be faithful"- Mother Teresa
John Prietto #14828 06/05/11 09:19 PM
S
S
Like I wrote earlier, check the unused numbers. You can just walk in and get a permit if you are going most days in September. In July and August, especially weekends, they draw numbers out of a hat and process people in the order drawn.

No, 40% are not held back for walk-ins. On the Main Mt whitney Trail, the permits are 100% reservable. The 40% situation is for all other trails for overnight use. But trust me... the no-shows and cancellations make up for that on Mt Whitney. Read the "Wilderness Permit Options" link in the Feature Topics box (above on the left).

In Sept/Oct, you will find water in all the usual places, except for the spring on the switchbacks. So last water is the tarn at Trail Camp.

Steve C #14829 06/05/11 09:49 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Steve

I read and looked at both pages you recomended. Just to clearify

As far as cancellations go : can i call the office and ask if people cancelled in a perticular month or would that show on their curent quota calender? for example the current whitney quota page via whtney nps page shows all the months and currently september is full for every day.So if this is the case would i have to drive up and wait till 11am to see if any one cancelled?

sorry if im not unbderstanding...

John Prietto #14830 06/05/11 10:44 PM
S
S
Their calendar was updated on Friday. It shows all the overnight slots are full. So calling and asking would not help. You see, people don't cancel until maybe a few days before the hike. And many people NEVER call and cancel. Instead, they just never show up to pick up their permits.

So if you start calling several times a day just a week before you want to go, THEN you might be able to reserve a cancelled slot. Those cost $15, by the way. Walk-ins are free!

But even if you don't call and try to get a cancellation, if you just walk in at that 11 a.m. time, you are likely to get one of the many no-shows that is made available. Remember, my Unused Permits numbers are AFTER all the walk-ins were given away.

Yes, driving up is necessary for the no-shows.

John Prietto #14834 06/06/11 06:03 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Hey John,

I've done Whitney twice in October, once midway through the month, and once Halloween weekend. One trip was pretty much snow free, the other we were in some deep snow above trail camp.

That being said, I'd be down to join you. Are you thinking main trail or mountaineers route?

#14840 06/06/11 06:35 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Well Burchey i was thinking october 16-19 via main trail. I would rather do september 22-25 but thats if i can get a permit which as of right now its full, we could go up and hope that there are no shows(which there probably will be). any suggestions? comments?

John Prietto #14841 06/06/11 06:38 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Hey John,

Either of those dates would be fine. I'll PM you my cell, we can chat at some point about options with the permits/gear/etc. I'm in San Diego, so carpooling would be perfect.

John Prietto #14843 06/06/11 08:00 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: John Prietto
... I would rather do september 22-25 ...

As a FYI, I was up at Horseshoe Meadows on Sept 19 - 21 2010. The guy in the campsite next to me originally had an Whitney overnight permit for 6 for Sept 21. All of his friends bailed on him by Sept 17. He didn't notify the permit office until Sept 19 as he was trying to find some last minute replacements. He turned in all 6 overnights as he did not want to go by himself.

Don't count out the Sept dates just yet.

wazzu #14851 06/06/11 09:15 AM
J
OP Offline
J
thanks for the info!! it seems like there ends up being enough room due to (unexpected plans in each of our lifes).

Anybody been up to top of san jacinto with no problems but then hiked whitney with altitude problems? I hiked to the top around (11,300) with no problems with altitude but have never been higher than that?

Last edited by John Prietto; 06/06/11 09:16 AM.

John Prietto #14856 06/06/11 09:59 AM
S
S
I have hiked Mt Dana in Yosemite several times (13,057'), and never with any problems.

But Mt Whitney, at 14,500) usually gives me trouble without proper acclimatization. On Whitney, you will be spending more hours and exerting more above 13,000.

John Prietto #14861 06/06/11 11:09 AM
W
deceased
deceased
W
John,

I've camped, hiked and climbed San Jacinto many times over the years in all seasons, and have never had altitude problems on San Jacinto. I've also had my entire family camping on San Jacinto, and my children and wife had no altitude problems, either. By the way, San Jacinto is only 10,804 feet. (San Gorgonio is 11,490 feet. And as with San Jacinto, I have had no altitude effects.)

On Mt. Whitney, it is a different story. Without acclimation, I really feel the altitude by the time I reach Trail Crest at 13,600 feet, and it seems most other hikers who are susceptible to altitude problems have similar experiences. However, since I know I have altitude issues, I am able to keep the problem in check and have relatively pain/misery-free climbs.

John Prietto #14862 06/06/11 11:31 AM
I've hiked Mt. San Jacinto several times and Mt. San Gorgonio too and never had altitude problems, but when I hike to the summit of Mt. Whitney I have always taken Diamox, prescribed by my doctor, because I want to be certain I reach the summit. Diamox will prevent you from getting altitude sickness and the terrible headaches and nausea that comes with it.

Speaking of sickness, I'm getting a headache and nausea right now listening to Congressman Weiner finally confess to his sins....ooops, I'm hijacking a thread again.

P.S. I'm so glad you found a friend in this thread to join you. I hope you go September 17, 18, 19 so my friends and I can meet you two San Diegoans.

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 06/06/11 11:35 AM.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #14864 06/06/11 12:34 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
It's important to get a couple lower hikes in the weeks before, like do a day-summit of jacinto one weekend, maybe gorgonio the next. Pacing yourself on the Whitney trip is key, too, and I find sleeping at the portal or even Horseshoe Meadows the night before and then heading over helps me.

I've hiked with folks on Diamox, it seems to make them tingly and food tastes like garbage. I would advise against that if you prepare yourself naturally otherwise.

This probably goes without saying, but you need to be used to the pack weight you'll be carrying, and do some general cardio workouts prior to as well.

John Prietto #14869 06/06/11 02:57 PM
A
A
John,
I don't know the exact dates I'll be going. My hiking schedule is always dependent on my work schedule which involves travel. I'm not the dark skies type of guy. I see that and I high tail it out of there. It's funny that Burchey jumped in because he's the first person I thought of when you wrote that. "Hey, there's this crazy San Diegan who likes ugly weather like John". Search for his past trip reports.

Diamox does make you feel tingly, but it doesn't affect my taste buds like others. The side effects aren't dramatic. No one will know how you'll handle the altitude on Whitney. Like Steve, I gone up Dana without a problem. I've gone up White Mountain which is +14k without a problem. I've had slight to bad headaches EVERY time I go to San Jacinto. confused

Also John, snow in October will be soft unlike now. It might be a postholing nightmare. September is usually great weather. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: John Prietto
Well im glad i recieved some replies!! Well you both pose interesting questions.

1) No i do not have a permit for october although i was going to get one for october seeing that theres some open days in the 3week of october.

2) Am i worried about permits? Yes , but my current understanding is that they keep 40% available for walk ins? is that correct?

3) Why october? Well thats tricky.. here is where i differ.

part of me enjoy's the snow and bad weather(to a certain point) very much. I love the dark skys, cold snow while having some hot top ramen, quiet with nobody there just you.

On the other hand i like just clear nice weather. (although i hate hot weather....I'd rather be cold than hot)

So with that said what dates 2600fromarti are you planning on going?

Would you go in september?

whats the temperature like in september? and how about drinking water resources?

So with that said.

Anonymous1 #14875 06/06/11 09:23 PM
J
OP Offline
J
2600fromatari I couldn't stop laughing after reading your reply! Lol! Another crazy san diegan who likes the dark side. I enjoy both but something about the winter feeling. But gotta love the clear skies with the stars right up close... I could spend most of my days out there if I didn't have a family. Well let me know when ever you go. Hopefully me and burckey will get up there in late sept or October.

Soft snow does make things a drag and who knows with this weather. Yosemite got a 175% snowpack this year more than the past 10 years!

Keep in touch

John Prietto #14880 06/07/11 05:28 AM
I'll be hitting Whitney around October 20, but from the other side and coming from Yostemite, so maybe we'll meet.

Anonymous1 #14881 06/07/11 06:38 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Oh. I'm crazy alright. Crazy about French Technique...and fries.

John, this was our Halloween 2010 trip Recent Snow

We only made it to 12,600 or so - headed straight up the switchbacks more or less, instead of zigzagging totally. We didn't get to finish, so who knows if that technique would have gotten us up. To be honest, it was probably one of the worst situations underfoot. 1 to 1.5 feet of new snow had recently fallen on either rocks or old snow/ice. You really didn't need crampons, but booting it up the steep slopes was a slippery mess - you'd step all the way through to the rocks or old ice below, and just slide slide slide. It was mostly loose scree underneath or hidden edges of small boulders to jack up your shins and knees.

My equipment situation and experience has changed a lot since then. My guess is now I wouldn't even bother heading up from Trail Camp once I saw the conditions. Going up the so-called chute would most likely have been just as much of a pain. Consolidated conditions are so much more your friend - Atari is right about the new soft snow in excess being a major bummer.

Link Copied to Clipboard