Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (JBone), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3771 Members
10 Forums
5595 Topics
51212 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#14885 - 06/07/11 11:10 AM Competition for Spot coming
Fishmonger Offline

Loc: Madison, WI
http://blog.delorme.com/2011/06/03/delorme-inreach-two-way-satellite-communication/

I don't have a phone like that, plus I bet this won't be cheap. And the messaging plan will cost a pretty penny, too. Still, the two way is what the SPOT is missing

#14886 - 06/07/11 11:44 AM Re: Competition for Spot coming [Re: Fishmonger]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
Thanks for posting that, Fishman.

From the DeLorme inReach page:
Quote:
A quick recap in case you only looked at the pictures:
  • inReach - A new two-way communicator that works with the PN-60w or an Android OS device.
  • Send and receive text messages outside of cell phone range with friends, family, Facebook/Twitter, or emergency services.
  • Tracking lets friends and family watch you in real time on a map back home.
  • The DeLorme Map Library with topographic, aerial, nautical, and more - all can be downloaded for use outside of cell phone data coverage.
  • The messaging plans start at $9.95/month and can be adjusted between levels.

Their two-way messaging shouldn't be any more expensive than the Inmarsat iSatPhone satellite phone, or they won't sell many units.

#14897 - 06/07/11 03:17 PM Re: Competition for Spot coming [Re: Steve C]
GandC Offline

Loc: SoCal
I was just talking about this thing on another site this morning.

I really wish Garmin would get on the ball with a similar technology. I really don't care much for DeLorme GPS units. But, if Garmin doesn't get with it, I may be using DeLorme before long. Especially if the wife finds out this little unit exists...

#14898 - 06/07/11 03:27 PM Re: Competition for Spot coming [Re: Steve C]
Fishmonger Offline

Loc: Madison, WI
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Their two-way messaging shouldn't be any more expensive than the Inmarsat iSatPhone satellite phone, or they won't sell many units.

zactly

for me, not owning a fancy Android phone, the DeLorme setup is just too gizmo and with the texting plan "starting" at $10/month it's a non starter for me - I'm going with the Sat phone which can text and send text to email, too, and upload data (e.g. images, if you're willing to pay the airtime)