Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cabela's 7 day sale -
Rod #1217 12/09/09 07:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Rod
Great tip. Thanks Laura.When I can't get out to hike I seem to want to buy stuff all the more. It is like going into a golf store on a rainy or windy day and all I want to do is BUY SOMETHING. ANYTHING just buy SOMETHING. Do I have a problem?

My downfall is REI. They opened a store about 2 miles from my home last year. Good thing / bad thing. I went in there a couple of days ago to buy my wife and daughter a few small items for stocking stuffers - maybe $40. I walked out $500 later and really hadn't dented my Christmas list, but had damn sure expanded it! I even bought some items for myself - took 'em home, wrapped 'em, then gave them to my wife to give to me for Christmas. Her response? "You went to REI, didn't you?"

It should be noted that I am (1) generally frugal, and (2) the antithesis of an impulse buyer - normally I'll walk into a store, buy precisely what I came for, and split as quickly as possible (I HATE shopping!). Walk me into an REI (or Cabela's or Bass Pro), and I'm suddenly in Oz. The normal rules no longer apply.

Re: Cabela's 7 day sale -
Bulldog34 #1335 12/16/09 02:20 PM
Quote:
My downfall is REI. They opened a store about 2 miles from my home last year. Good thing / bad thing. I went in there a couple of days ago to buy my wife and daughter a few small items for stocking stuffers - maybe $40. I walked out $500 later and really hadn't dented my Christmas list, but had damn sure expanded it! I even bought some items for myself - took 'em home, wrapped 'em, then gave them to my wife to give to me for Christmas. Her response? "You went to REI, didn't you?"

It should be noted that I am (1) generally frugal, and (2) the antithesis of an impulse buyer - normally I'll walk into a store, buy precisely what I came for, and split as quickly as possible (I HATE shopping!). Walk me into an REI (or Cabela's or Bass Pro), and I'm suddenly in Oz. The normal rules no longer apply.

Before I got married to my current wife, I would go to REI with the intention of "just looking" and wound up buying this and that. GEESH! Now, I can restrain myself from making purchases.

Why?

BECAUSE I HAVE EVERYTHING REI HAS TO OFFER!

AND THEN SOME!

Now that I am married (again 3rd time), I am wearing some of my hiking clothes and gear when I am doing the "honey-do" projects like cutting the lawn or chopping wood. Who dah thunk!

Fortunately, REI opened up its doors in Fresno on September 15, 2007. How do I remember this? Cuz, I wanted to go to the Grand Opening, but then a hike to Mt. Whitney got in the way. And Wifey-pooh insisted I go (or else).

Never made it past Trail Camp.

AMS?

Nope!

REI!

The nearest Bass Pro is in Manteca, CA which is a two-hour drive. The nearest Cabela's is in Reno, NV. We literally live in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, REI is my favorite adult toy store...er, I mean, toy store for adults!

I never tried the old "wrap-my-own-gifts-for-my-wife-to-give-to-me" ploy. Looks like a winner everytime!

See whatcha done, Bulldog34?

Last edited by + @ti2d; 12/16/09 02:22 PM.

Journey well...
Gear for sale - PM me
+ @ti2d #1507 01/02/10 12:45 PM
S
OP Offline
S
We have a used sierra designs clip flashlight tent, 2 person for $80..If I have to ship it, that'll be additional (but I'll be in LP on Jan 23, so if we can do a hand off, it would be great).

there is nothing wrong with it - tent, fly, stakes all included. No smells, but a bit o dirt. I got it at the REI used gear sale & thought it was freestanding. Its not - can't take it back, any takers before I Ebay it? I'm going to post it on ebay Monday - Jan 04 2010. --Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight

Hubby just told me that the Oakly Puffer Jacket (black) and the Ibex Vertigo Jacket - Loden I got him for Christmas are duplicates of items currently in his gear closet. I'll be listing those on Ebay on Monday also. (Both are New with Tags - $80.00 each - Ebay listing will be higher)

Its the beginning of the year, so I'll be clearing out a lot of stuff -

Last edited by SanDi_carole; 01/02/10 01:41 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard