Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Final Preparations
#15332 06/20/11 08:49 AM
A
andeo2L Offline OP
OP Offline
A
So we are in the final stretch!!! We are planning on driving up to Lone Pine Wednesday morning/afternoon, and then getting to bed early and starting our day hike to the summit at 3 am Thursday morning. However, I had a few questions... eek

We were originally planning on sleeping in a motel in Lone Pine and then heading up early, but I don't know how I missed this, but the elevation is very low in Lone Pine. Oiy! So now the plan is just to sleep in the car at the Portal or even just on the ground. Would anyone suggest making the small hike to Lone Pine Lake and camping there? It would be a good acclimation point as well as have us on our way, and I've heard getting the general wilderness pass to get there is not difficult. However, we don't really want to carry a huge tent or bear canisters or such all the way to the summit for a day hike. Suggestions?

Also, two of our party (originally 4) have dropped out, so we have 2 extra passes if anyone wants to join us. Otherwise, we'll just leave them for the hikers who show up day-of.

Finally, I even feel slightly silly asking this, but I promised in order to satisfy the worries of over-protective parents and a worried spouse. Has anyone ever brought up a little 5 lb canister of oxygen before in case of altitude sickness, to be able to collect oneself, and then head back down (obviously). I wanted to know if this was a good safety idea or just unnecessary extra weight.

Thanks for all the help so far and I will definitely post pictures and a report when we return!

Re: Final Preparations
andeo2L #15333 06/20/11 08:52 AM
A
andeo2L Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ah, I must have missed that post from earlier today, regarding permits for LPL. So you do need a Whitney Permit to camp there and not a general wilderness permit?

andeo2L #15334 06/20/11 09:19 AM
T
T
just my opinion, but 5lbs is a lot of extra weight.

for prevention of altitude sickness I would look into getting some diamox (talk to your MD).

a few little pills are going to weigh a lot less than a 5lb cannister and will likely be much more effective.

Proper acclimitization is your best bet. A night at the portal followed by a night at Lone Pine Lake would be great. Or head over to Horseshoe meadow for a couple of nights before the hike.

When I got altitude sickness, the symptoms went away very shortly after I descended a few hundred vertical feet.

tdtz #15336 06/20/11 09:46 AM
G
G
What tdtz said. 5 lbs is a lot of extra weight to pack for a day hike.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
andeo2L #15363 06/20/11 04:39 PM
S
S
As for the "general wilderness permit", I don't think there IS such a thing. Wilderness permits are written for you to start on a specific trail, so since you are starting up the main Mt Whitney Trail, the Mt Whitney overnight permit is the permit required.

Be sure to ask about overnight permits when you show up at the Visitor Center to pick up your permit. If there are any available, you can trade. Since there is so much snow, there are lots of cancellations these days, so your chances are really good.

andeo2L #15364 06/20/11 04:54 PM
O2? 5#? You won't need it nor the diamox, imo.

If you are a sea level devil, make Horseshoe Meadows your all day event. Why hike to Lone Pine Lake the day before? Save all of that nervous energy for Thursday "gain day."

If you have ever played sports, bring your game face and attitude to the hike. Take it with you all the way to the top. Know when to say when. No higher than a headache.

We'll be pulling for you.

Make a promise to post them pics!

Have fun up there!

Get some Whitney will ya!

Journey well...
andeo2L #15369 06/20/11 07:16 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: andeo2L
Has anyone ever brought up a little 5 lb canister of oxygen before in case of altitude sickness, to be able to collect oneself, and then head back down (obviously). I wanted to know if this was a good safety idea or just unnecessary extra weight.

Long before you needed oxygen, your body would be giving you all sorts of cues that today is not your day for the summit (and LISTEN to your body!) Your hike is supposed to be fun, so if you feel sick, makes tracks down the hill(I once bailed on a summit 700ft from the top, because of a food related illness;I never regretted the choice and it allowed my buddy to have a fun day + I recovered nicely shortly after) Good judgement will be the best medicine that you can carry. Those extra 5# will only contribute to dead weight that you will be hauling around for hours. Good sleep & acclimatization is better than any pill as far as preventative medicine goes; however, some folks ARE aided by small amounts of diamox. I will leave it to the professionals to discuss the topic of meds.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #15370 06/20/11 08:17 PM
A
andeo2L Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for all the advice! I think we are going to get up there early Wednesday and just hang out at the Portal, get some shut eye and then head up starting at ~3 am Thursday. I know that may not be a lot of acclimation time, but I like living and am not too proud to turn back if I'm not comfortable with the conditions or our health.

Pics will follow...!!!

andeo2L #15437 06/22/11 02:38 AM
Don't be afraid to fail...

Be afraid not to try.

Drive safe. Watch your speed on the 395.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #15445 06/22/11 07:07 AM
Bee is right about lugging oxygen. On Diamox, if I do not take any I get a massive headache, if I take the usual half doses that most people recommend I get a slight headache that I can deal with. It will usually hit me on the way down from the summit during the switchbacks. I live in the desert and its hard to acclimate, I try to get there a couple of days early and hit Horseshoe Meadow and White Mountain and I think it helps a little. In my opinion proper acclimatisation is better than Diamox but I just try a little of both.

“Any thoughts of guilt, any feelings of regret, had faded. The desert had baked them out.” - Stephen King

Link Copied to Clipboard