Next Thread
Print Thread
Barefoot Ted in Parade Magazine
#1524 01/04/10 11:55 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Parade Magazine is a little insert that comes out in my Sunday paper.  I saw an article about running barefoot, and it gave a picture showing "Barefoot Ted" leading a class of barefoot runners.  I recognized the name...

He summitted Whitney barefoot in '05:
Barefoot Summit 2

And here's a YouTube video of an Aug 28 '07 barefoot summit.

The Parade article is here.

Re: Barefoot Ted in Parade Magazine
Steve C #1526 01/05/10 04:15 AM
They are a lot stronger then me for sure, last time I came down Whitney I noticed bare foot tracks from the 99 switch backs all the way to Whitney Portal, couldn't help but think of how good that person was!

RoguePhotonic #1536 01/05/10 05:43 PM
Rod Offline
I remember reading that thread before and watching the video.I read the article. I am going to give some thought to the concept that too much shoe cushioning has created some of the foot problems.It is waaaaay more complex of a health subject than just switching over to barefoot running.Like all musculo-skeletal issues there are many factors to consider, like genetics, size, weight, history of injuries,type of arch you have ie.flat vs high,instep on and on.

I just talked to a former patient of mine who was having lots of issues with plantar fasciaitis who self resolved his problem by googling and finding a guy who showed online how to walk without using orthotics to naturaly build up the arch muscles. He no longer has foot pain or needs to wear expensive custom made orthotics.Basicaly you walk forcing your foot to cup and self support an arch. Eventually he built up the muscles in the foot to hold the arch without any effort. Now his arch is self supporting and he can run and train without pain.I am always interested in find a non-drug,non-surgical or prosthetic way to resolve musculo-skeletal syndromes.

I am going to try to get in touch with him to find where to get the online exercises he found.He has moved so I will have to do some detective work to track him down.

Rod #1539 01/05/10 06:27 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Sounds good, Rod.

I imagine there is a cutoff point for most people, though. At what point would running barefoot cause more injury than good? I'll bet Barefoot Ted lives and works barefoot all the time.

...reminds me of my childhood. Not sure when I started wearing shoes, but as a kid on a farm, I did everything barefoot, driving tractor, milking cows, irrigating. It was only when I had to go to school or church that shoes were worn.

But then in high school, I got into cross country and track, and mostly wore cheap tennis shoes, or those thin gum-rubber-soled track knockoffs (remember those). In fact, I did a few half-marathon morning pre-workouts by jogging to school (at about 7 min. per mile!), followed by the track team's workout in the afternoon. But that was just too much for my nearly barefoot feet -- had to stop doing the long runs because it caused too much foot pain.

Link Copied to Clipboard