Next Thread
Print Thread
Thanks!
#15449 06/22/11 07:37 AM
T
tyrus Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I want to say thanks to everyone that post and answers posts on this web site. Reading these entries for the past couple of months has been a huge help to me. I'm one of eight trail crew members participating in an American Hiking Society Volunteer Vacation. Our crew will be doing trail work along the Mt. Whitney Trail from 6-27 to 7-2. We're coming from the states of PA, FL, KY, NJ, and CA. None of us have ever met or have been to Mt. Whitney. As crew leader, I've been keeping the crew updated on numerous aspects of our trip... especially current trail conditions. Our last full day as a reward, we will be allowed to summit Mt. Whitney without a permit.

I leave tomorrow for the Mammoth Lakes area to do some acclimation hikes prior to meeting up with the crew Sunday. Again, thanks to all! This web site has been a great source of information. Also thanks Steve C. for your guidance. My freak flag will be flying so if anyone is in the area, stop and say hey to us. R. Cobb

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks. Daniel Boone

Re: Thanks!
tyrus #15450 06/22/11 08:13 AM
The "THANKS" should go to you for your efforts on the trail. Everyone on this site appreciates what you will be doing. Good luck, stay safe and have a great time on the mountain. Only wish you could bring a torch to clear all the snow to the summit. Don't forget to eat your share of burgers and pancakes at the Portal Store.

Thanks again, I'll be at the Portal with my friends on the 2nd and hope to meet you. Joe Q

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
tyrus #15451 06/22/11 08:23 AM
G
G
Heck yea man, thanks a lot for the hard work you'll be putting in. That's fantastic, and much appreciated.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
tyrus #15458 06/22/11 09:59 AM
As others have said, tyrus, the thanks goes to you guys. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, what are your team's projects for the MMWT this year? I'm guessing you won't be building a bridge over the North Fork or whacking a few dozen switchbacks out of the equation from TC to TC. I'm wondering what to look for that may be different next month.

Thanks again!

Bulldog34 #15466 06/22/11 11:23 AM
T
tyrus Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Our original work was to be done around the Trail Camp area but the snow has changed those plans. During my conversations with the Mt. Whitney Ranger District office, our host, I was told there's work needed at the lower levels of the Whitney Trail so that's all I know. This is my third AHS Volunteer Vacation. I've had a great time and have met some interesting characters.

tyrus #15467 06/22/11 11:23 AM
G
G
It sounds like a lot of work and a lot of fun. How did you get involved?

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
tyrus #15469 06/22/11 11:57 AM
Originally Posted By: tyrus
Our original work was to be done around the Trail Camp area but the snow has changed those plans.

Well, I guess we'll have to wait a while for those new yurts at Trail Camp . . .

Sounds great, tyrus - have a blast!

GandC #15471 06/22/11 12:17 PM
T
tyrus Offline OP
OP Offline
T
None of my friends are hikers. Going to places that I've never been before and backpacking for several days by myself just isn't something I want to do. I've done solo traveling to different cites and countries but that's as a tourist. I was looking at various hiking web sites when I started looking more closely at AHS and what they have to offer. With AHS, I travel to a great place like Mt. Whitney, meet folks with similar interest and do trail work. There's always been a Wilderness Ranger type with us that knows the trail and is our leader. Worked on farms growing up and on into college to earn spending money so trail work is similar. My travel expenses for this trip are tax deductable!

Link Copied to Clipboard