Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Two Person tent?
#12152 03/29/11 10:36 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Me again!
What are some brands / tents that you would recommend? I don't want to break the bank, however, i don't want to break my back either. I usually only day hike, so I don't own any backpacking gear.

So far my eye is on: Eureka Apex 2XT Adventure Two-Person Tent

I'd love everyone's thoughts! Thanks!

Re: Two Person tent?
Sublatum #12153 03/29/11 10:42 AM
G
G
Go see how you like the REI Quarter Dome T2. It's pretty light, it's not terribly expensive, and if you're an REI member, you get their warranty.

They also have a T2+ that is still a 2 person tent, but a few extra inches on all sides for bigger people.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
GandC #12156 03/29/11 12:11 PM
S
S
Bob R has a Titanium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy, 6 oz.

That is the minimum you really need.

Check it out. TiGoat Ptarmigan Bivy

Steve C #12157 03/29/11 12:17 PM
S
OP Offline
S
That is cool, and definitely minimalist! However I'll have one other person with me, and I plan to back pack with it in Alaska over the summer, so i'd want something that would stand up to rain and or wind.

Sublatum #12168 03/30/11 05:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Sublatum
That is cool, and definitely minimalist! However I'll have one other person with me, and I plan to back pack with it in Alaska over the summer, so i'd want something that would stand up to rain and or wind.

Take a look at this one. Comes in 3 sizes. Based upon personal experience, I'd opt for the 2 person if I were solo, and a 3 person for two. That way, you can get your pack and boots into the tent without problem, and be able to sit up in them without hitting your head. Bivies are light, but ... that's about all they've got going for them, IMHO. You probably want a groundsheet as well - either theirs, or make your own from Tyvek.

This is a basic design, similar to other manufacturers. I have one made by Big Agnes, but it's essentially the same tent. They're free-standing too, which is a plus.

Sublatum #14281 05/20/11 03:58 PM
W
W
I've been looking for a 2-person tent for several months. I had a Sierra Design Flashlight and for 25 years it was a great tent for my needs. After many months of researching (Ultra Light or lightweight, 3 or 4 Season, Freestanding or not, new or used, etc), finalizing the amount of $ I could spend, I finally ordered this today.

For a tent that is under 4 lbs and on sale, I couldn't find a better deal.

wazzu #14288 05/20/11 05:49 PM
I recently bought 2 of the TREK "marine combat" tents. Milspec knockoffs, and increasingly scarce. Also a little heavy, too much so to double as a one-person, but it is a true two person tent. Split the load and carry about 3 lbs each. Entrances and gear vestibules on two sides. Free standing but comes with plenty of stakes and guys to batten it down. Leave some at home to reduce weight without sacrificing function in most conditions Plus, the fly alone is a great ultralight shelter, freestanding or with vestibule space staked out. FLy reverses between OD and desert tan for those of us who like to blend in w/o camo

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #14298 05/21/11 07:22 AM
G
G
I have a Big Agnes Flycreek UL2. Great tent, very light, easy set up.

Go Bears #14402 05/24/11 02:09 PM
S
S
B & I got a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 - flippin amazing 3 season tent. 4lbs 12oz packed weight which includes fly/vestibule - HUGE amount of room for the weight. Tested it at home & field tested it during the crazy Mothers day weekend on Whitney. It shook a bit in the winds, but it held tight.

For a 4 season I like the Black Diamond Guidelight 4 person. With the extra vestibule it weighs in just under 7lbs. Lots of room, an area to "cook" in - not that you're supposed to do that but... Good tent held up in winds and snow. A bit of condensation if you don't open the very tops of the doors for venting. This usually isn't an issue as the vestibule shelters these areas completely.

We get the three person tents because we've found the two person tents to be a bit too tight for 2 & gear. You also have to be really good friends or at least ok with accidental spooning to use a 2 person w/ a friend.

I love a good tent =) - oh hell, I love good gear... =)

SanDi_carole #14420 05/25/11 02:36 AM
Originally Posted By: SanDi_carole
B & I got a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 - flippin amazing 3 season tent. 4lbs 12oz packed weight which includes fly/vestibule - HUGE amount of room for the weight. Tested it at home & field tested it during the crazy Mothers day weekend on Whitney. It shook a bit in the winds, but it held tight.

Big enough for three - tested on two Muir Trails so far and love that tent. In a bind, I'd take it on a solo hike (in the past, I've used a 7 pound 2-person as solo shetler, so this would be bigger and lighter!)

Originally Posted By: SanDi_carole

For a 4 season I like the Black Diamond Guidelight 4 person. With the extra vestibule it weighs in just under 7lbs. Lots of room, an area to "cook" in - not that you're supposed to do that but... Good tent held up in winds and snow. A bit of condensation if you don't open the very tops of the doors for venting. This usually isn't an issue as the vestibule shelters these areas completely.

We get the three person tents because we've found the two person tents to be a bit too tight for 2 & gear. You also have to be really good friends or at least ok with accidental spooning to use a 2 person w/ a friend.

I love a good tent =) - oh hell, I love good gear... =)

similar tent addiction here... my 4-season tent is also sized for 3 but never has seen more than two occupants. I am getting another one sized for 2 to be used on solo trips. The MHW EV3 is just a little too heavy to be carried as solo shelter:

never had any condensation on the walls, just a little on the floor (no footprint on snow). It didn't even flap in the 50mph gusts we had at night. My solo winter tent will either be an MSR Twin Sisters or a used MHW EV2, if I can get a good deal like on the above. Won't need it before October.

I have a Big Agnes Speedhouse SL1 solo 3-season as well, but that will most likely end up on ebay. Very disappointed in that tent after the Copper Spur. Should have really paid the extra for the Copper Spur UL1, but those are rarely on sale and I got the UL3 for less than you usually see the UL1 priced at.

I spent most of my life hiking with really crappy gear, such as the below pictured 1980 UL tarp bought at a building supply place:

For over 10 Muir Trails, I used a $50 used Sierra Designs Meteor Light (the only thing light about it is its impact on your wallet), so when I was finally able to afford better gear it was quite a revelation how much of a difference a good tent can make. Ebay makes it all possible - would never have bought the two fancy tents above at retail price.

Fishmonger #14429 05/25/11 07:15 AM
here's our old Sierra Designs Meteor Light tent

I'm still using parts of its poles as primitive UL tripod for my camera grin so the $50 I paid for it (used) in '88 was a pretty good deal. 7 pounds, one door, small vestibule, but it actually was big enough for 3 adults in some years.

By the way, that is one of my all time favorite camp sites in the Sierra (apart from having to carry your water in).

another angle - should be pretty easy to guess where that is

Fishmonger #14431 05/25/11 07:19 AM
S
S
Fishman, we need to change your handle to Tentmonger!

Love the pictures.

Steve C #14434 05/25/11 09:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Fishman, we need to change your handle to Tentmonger!

Love the pictures.

got a few more to show off ;-)

you've seen my shelf of boots (finally sold the big old Koflachs on ebay, though), and as of two days ago, I have four canister stoves. Love them all. Bootmonger, Stovemonger, Tentmonger, Gearmonger!

Fishmonger #14774 06/03/11 12:18 PM
W
W
The Deal of the Week at REI-Outlet are Big Agnes Tents. Seedhouse & Fairview models. Seedhouse 1 person = $110.00 Seedhouse 2 person = $130.00

The deal of the week will be good until 6/9/11.

Here's the link.

wazzu #14776 06/03/11 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: wazzu
The Deal of the Week at REI-Outlet are Big Agnes Tents. Seedhouse & Fairview models. Seedhouse 1 person = $110.00

there's a reason... my own Speedhouse SL1 is going to ebay. I have no intention to ever spend a night in it again

Poor ventilation - none if you don't risk rain falling into your face, little if you do accept that. It takes forever to set up (no go under 11 stakes). At Trail Camp, mid September, it was ice caked inside in the morning, my sleeping bag was ice covered, and half soggy from the melting stuff. It was very windy and I still had huge condensation buildup.

The last night I spent in it at the big lake on Sawmill pass wasn't so bad, but I could have slept there without a tent:

$110 is acceptable though - it usually sells for more in used condition.

Fishmonger #15421 06/21/11 07:26 PM
I just recently got into Henry Shires Tarp Tents but I wouldn't recommend them for Trail Camp or other high elevation camp sites. I use the Rainbow up in the peaks around Flagstaff and it really has turned out to be one of my favorite tents.

“Any thoughts of guilt, any feelings of regret, had faded. The desert had baked them out.” - Stephen King

hike500 #15427 06/21/11 10:06 PM
S
S

Steve C #15541 06/23/11 05:05 PM
RE: Titanium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy

Steve C., is this Bivy water resistant or waterproof? I clicked on the link you provided, but did not see any specs on water resistance. I'm not in to carrying a tent to Trail Camp this year. The lighter my pack, the better.

I'm even going to buy the lightweight stove you suggested. Light weight food too (air popped popcorn and Tom Ramen, yum)

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #15546 06/23/11 09:01 PM
S
S
I love that titanium esbit wing stove!

As for the TiGoat Ptarmigan Bivy, it says: "For 2011 the top of the Ptarmigan is now made of Grey Intrepid, a 20 denier DWR treated fabric that performs as well or better than anything in its weight class"
I looked up DWR, and found this from REI: Rainwear: Durable Water Repellent (DWR) Care -- Expert advice from REI.

If I had that bivy, I'd leave it packed except when really necessary: When precipitation threatens, or it is windy or extra cold. Otherwise, camp under the stars!

Steve C #15571 06/24/11 07:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
I looked up DWR, and found this from REI: Rainwear: Durable Water Repellent (DWR) Care -- Expert advice from REI.

most important term in there: Nikwax. Absolutely delivers. My 10-year old Marmot Precip now sheds water better than when new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard