Next Thread
Print Thread
Packing out your poo on Mt. Whitney?
#15830 06/29/11 03:51 PM
D
dbd1980 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I will be hiking Mt. Whitney for the first time in August. I was told that a poop bag will be provided when I pick up my wilderness permit.

I was also told that the rangers will "check" my poop bag when I leave, to make sure I actually used it, and didn't just take a sh1t in the woods. Is this true? Checking poop bags to make sure they actually contain feces is a pretty sick and disgusting thing to do.

So, will the rangers actually check if my poo bag is full? Or, do I just dispose of my poo bag on my own?

I know this is a grotesque question, but having a ranger inspecting my used poo bag seems very awkward and embarrassing.

Last edited by dbd1980; 06/29/11 03:55 PM.
Re: Packing out your poo on Mt. Whitney?
dbd1980 #15831 06/29/11 03:59 PM
T
T
methinks somebody was pulling your leg.

how could the ranger know if you had the call of the wild?....so to speak.

I had a ranger check my permit on Saturday. He didn't check my wagbag (unused)

tdtz #15833 06/29/11 04:03 PM
D
dbd1980 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: tdtz
methinks somebody was pulling your leg.

how could the ranger know if you had the call of the wild?....so to speak.

I had a ranger check my permit on Saturday. He didn't check my wagbag (unused)

Haha, I hope they were pulling my leg. I have no problem using a poo bag. However, I do have a problem with rangers verifying that I actually used it. I'd feel violated if that were to happen.

Anyways, sorry for having to ask, but thanks for the reply.

tdtz #15834 06/29/11 04:11 PM
In actuality, they take a small DNA sample at the Forest Service where you pick up your permits. It's just a swab and/or saliva sample, so it's not a big deal. Every few days, forensic scientists on special assignment from the National Park Service go out onto the trail and check samples of poop left on the trail or in wag bags discarded by the side of the trail. Often times they will find the wag bags behind the large rocks about 3/4 of the way up the switchbacks, as many hikers are too lazy or have no respect for Mt Whitney to pack out their own poop.

I'm not sure of the timeline, but from what I've been told, it takes a few weeks for the samples to be tested and retested at the lab to find the correct results. If the forensic scientists find your specific DNA, then you'll receive a bill, actually a fine from the Forest Service in your mail to the tune of $500.00 for each sample that turns up positive.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.......but this might be a good time to tell hikers that they should respect Mt Whitney, the hikers, the help along the trail, rangers, etc. and PACK OUT YOUR POOP!!!!!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #15839 06/29/11 04:35 PM
J
J
Just pack it out. There is kitty litter in the bag which makes it somewhat less nasty. Make sure the outer bag is sealed and that you carry it in your stuff sack. Just bury it in your pack, it won't stink everybody else out.

Whitney zone is a high use area. If there was poop everywhere it would be less fun. It's the right thing to do.

quillansculpture #15840 06/29/11 04:42 PM
T
T
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
In actuality, they take a small DNA sample at the Forest Service where you pick up your permits. It's just a swab and/or saliva sample, so it's not a big deal. Every few days, forensic scientists on special assignment from the National Park Service go out onto the trail and check samples of poop left on the trail or in wag bags discarded by the side of the trail. Often times they will find the wag bags behind the large rocks about 3/4 of the way up the switchbacks, as many hikers are too lazy or have no respect for Mt Whitney to pack out their own poop.

I'm not sure of the timeline, but from what I've been told, it takes a few weeks for the samples to be tested and retested at the lab to find the correct results. If the forensic scientists find your specific DNA, then you'll receive a bill, actually a fine from the Forest Service in your mail to the tune of $500.00 for each sample that turns up positive.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.......but this might be a good time to tell hikers that they should respect Mt Whitney, the hikers, the help along the trail, rangers, etc. and PACK OUT YOUR POOP!!!!!

hey umm, Joe....could you help me out a little bit? I left my wallet...yeah my wallet up on the hill this past weekend. It's in a green bag.....kinda looks exactly like a wag bag. It's behind the big rock a quarter mile before the log crossing. If you could get it before the rangers do their popbag search, I'd appreciate it. Wouldn't want my wallet to be mistaken for something else.

thanks buddy!

dbd1980 #15842 06/29/11 04:52 PM
This is a good question...

Rangers will more likely check your permit tag than your WAG bag. If they catch you in the act, then you have some explaining to "doo." No pun intended.

In all of my times on the MWT, I have never, repeat, never used a WAG bag when they were first issued.

All of my hikes have been dayers, and my #2 system goes into shutdown mode during my 22. #1 is copious/clear, #2 never happened. Must be the altitude burn or the pucker factor.

For one, I don't eat much on the way up. I nibble on the way down. That is just me.

Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
...forensic scientists on special assignment from the National Park Service go out onto the trail and check samples of poop left on the trail or in wag bags discarded by the side of the trail...

Foresnic fecal anal-ysts? Oh, pooh...no such thing. Now, where is my TP?

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #15844 06/29/11 05:08 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
#2 never happened. Must be the altitude burn or the pucker factor.

or... you are not full of it

tdtz #15847 06/29/11 06:34 PM
Tom, no problem.....I'll check every bag I find Closely :-)

Seriously though. This is an important subject. In October 2009, my buddy and I found 17 wag bags behind a large boulder on the switchbacks. You fools that do that really suck. You're NOT "to good" to poop in a bag. I don't like DOO-ING it any more than you...... But if you're going to hike, learn how to do it with respect to the mountain and other hikers.

TWO THINGS:

SHOW RESPECT AND PACK YOUR POOP.

PEE ON THE DOWNHILL SIDE OF THE SLOPE - NOT NEAR WATER!!!!!!!!!!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #15852 06/29/11 07:12 PM
D
dbd1980 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the informative and amusing responses lol.

As I previously mentioned, I have no problem DOOing it in the bag. I care for and respect the environment. I just feel like it would be an invasion and violation of my privacy if rangers tried to verify that I used the wag bag by looking at it, or sniffing my ass, or something ridiculous like that.

dbd1980 #15855 06/29/11 08:46 PM
Rod Offline
They definately aren't going to sniff your ass.I suggest bring sevral heavy large ziplock bags gallon size and put your used wag bag inside it. Then place that on in another ziplock bag and you will never smell the bag again.

Harvey Lankford #15864 06/30/11 02:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
or... you are not full of it

If any indicator, my eyes are brown... grin

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #15890 06/30/11 10:29 AM
CaT Offline
OK ... moving right along....

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
quillansculpture #15906 06/30/11 02:46 PM
C
C
Joe Q was not too far off.

Here are some early adopters in Fla.

http://www.wpbf.com/news/28393482/detail.html

John

catpappy #15908 06/30/11 02:51 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
IMHO, the wag bags are a step up from the blue bag system ( cascades )

#15930 06/30/11 08:13 PM
J
J
Originally Posted By: Burchey
IMHO, the wag bags are a step up from the blue bag system ( cascades )

I agree 100%.

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Link Copied to Clipboard