Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 61 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mt Whitney summit in first week of November..??
Steve C #17359 08/09/11 01:06 PM
CaT Offline
Originally Posted By: Steve C
> you can always call and reserve a permit for $15 for a specific date if you really want to make sure you'll have one

That is ONLY if there is one available, which depends on when you call, and whether someone has called in and released their permit. Most people who get one this way call in repeatedly in the week before they hike.

True ... although I didn't specify that in what I said, it was implied, since they can't reserve a permit that is not available. My bad.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #17421 08/10/11 07:50 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Well, after all of the very useful information, i have decided to scrap to potential November hike option, and attempt to obtain a day hike permit for late september. What are some suggestions, for a good strategy??? Maybe wait until the first week of september and call in to check availability, possibly? I have days i can go as sept 27,28,29 or 30th of sept. I would think the odds of securing a permit , late in september , could be a lot greater than this month.

"With each failure, you take another step towards success as long as you don't ever give up"
Norcalhiker67 #17422 08/10/11 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Norcalhiker67
I have days i can go as sept 27,28,29 or 30th of sept. I would think the odds of securing a permit , late in september , could be a lot greater than this month.

So you are looking for a day permit for the last Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday in September. Based on last year's data, which is here, there was a huge glut of unused day permits on all the last days of September (approximately 20 or more permits not used on all those days). So your chances are very very good based on past experience. Indeed, after September 18 last year, you would have scored a walk in day permit ANY day of the week through the end of October.

If you want to maximize your chances, go up September 27 to try to get a walkin permit to enter early in the morning of September 28, and if that does not work (though it should), ask if they will give you one to go up September 29. (Or, you could try to get an overnight permit as an alternative.) But I bet you get a day permit the first time you show up at the office.

If it were me, though, I would go midweek in August. Longer days, better weather. As you'll see from the same chart, they had more day permits than takers every single weekday in August ... meaning that anyone who walked in for a day permit midweek in August got one. And there was a significant glut at the end of August. It's only on weekends in August that there was a struggle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard