Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Russell/Whitney/Muir Trifecta
#17532 08/15/11 05:41 PM
G
gmisk Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Have permits for NFLPC early September. Thinking of spending first night at UBSL, then hitting Russell, second night at Ice Berg, then up the col to Whitney. Bivy just off the summit, then hit Muir on way down the main trail. Any thoughts? Any beta on the snow patch just south west of the Whitney summit, as that would be our source of water for the Whitney bivy.

Thanks!

Rivers, lakes and oceans will attack you. Mountains are different. They wait for you to make a mistake.
Re: Russell/Whitney/Muir Trifecta
gmisk #17537 08/15/11 08:39 PM
A
A
gmisk, I'd get my water @ Iceberg Lake before heading up the chute. I was there two weeks ago, and while the snow field was still large, I don't how much of it will be left in September, and how clean it'll be.

My plan is similar to yours but involves Carillion as well. Had to do it after seeing So.BayMark's trip report.

Anonymous1 #17589 08/17/11 12:59 PM
How much snow is still up there? There was a crap load in July, but I figured September would be fairly dry. Snow in the chute? Final 400?

I was hoping there would be hikers there in September when I go. I haven't solidified a date as of yet, but was hoping I could follow, or at least see someone going up after Iceberg. I've got most of the trail hiked and/or figured out with the exception of the last part up the chute and 400. Doug gave me lots of advice on the last way up to the summit, so I have images with markings on them.

I'm pretty sure, okay, I'm positive I can do the MR, I'm just concerned with being exhausted for the last couple of hundred yards. No place to get a headache, nausea, etc.

As a note, I study everything and do reconnaissance hikes prior to doing things I'm a bit concerned about. As I have said before....."on paper, I know exactly where to go and what to do". Problem is.....I won't be hiking on paper.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
gmisk #17592 08/17/11 03:24 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: gmisk
Have permits for NFLPC early September. Thinking of spending first night at UBSL, then hitting Russell, second night at Ice Berg, then up the col to Whitney. Bivy just off the summit, then hit Muir on way down the main trail. Any thoughts? Any beta on the snow patch just south west of the Whitney summit, as that would be our source of water for the Whitney bivy.

Thanks!

You will have a tough time finding a spot to put your bivy at the notch. I don't recall seeing any smooth level places.

It is only half an hour to the top from the notch, so just go there. If the weather is bad, you could stay inside the hut, otherwise there are plenty of spots there to sleep under the stars.

And for that matter, I'd camp at LBSL both nights 1 & 2. It just isn't that far to the summit from Iceberg. And do take water from Iceberg. If you start after noon, you could probably get by with 3 liters. It's several hundred ft. elevation drop down to that snow patch, so it seems easier to carry the 6 lbs all the way from 12.5k rather than dropping and re-climbing 400' with your entire body's weight. ;-)

quillansculpture #17599 08/17/11 06:49 PM
A
A
There is only snow at the base of the needles and at Iceberg Lake when I was there. When answering the OP, I believe he was asking, and I was referring to the snow field near the summit from the main trail. You'll be on dry ground up the Mountaineer's Chute in September. There was ice on the right/North/West(?) side of the Final 400 which was easily avoidable when I went a few weeks ago. Going up the chute is very straight forward. Stay on the boulder fields to the left when you start off. I looks steep and scary from a distance, but is not. Do NOT go in the center of the chute like you would in the winter. Keep staying on the left till you hit the Notch. Basically, just stay left. LOL

Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
How much snow is still up there? There was a crap load in July, but I figured September would be fairly dry. Snow in the chute? Final 400?

I was hoping there would be hikers there in September when I go. I haven't solidified a date as of yet, but was hoping I could follow, or at least see someone going up after Iceberg. I've got most of the trail hiked and/or figured out with the exception of the last part up the chute and 400. Doug gave me lots of advice on the last way up to the summit, so I have images with markings on them.

I'm pretty sure, okay, I'm positive I can do the MR, I'm just concerned with being exhausted for the last couple of hundred yards. No place to get a headache, nausea, etc.

As a note, I study everything and do reconnaissance hikes prior to doing things I'm a bit concerned about. As I have said before....."on paper, I know exactly where to go and what to do". Problem is.....I won't be hiking on paper.

I think he's talking about sleeping on the summit(hut) and not the Notch.

Originally Posted By: Steve C
You will have a tough time finding a spot to put your bivy at the notch. I don't recall seeing any smooth level places.

It is only half an hour to the top from the notch, so just go there. If the weather is bad, you could stay inside the hut, otherwise there are plenty of spots there to sleep under the stars.

And for that matter, I'd camp at LBSL both nights 1 & 2. It just isn't that far to the summit from Iceberg. And do take water from Iceberg. If you start after noon, you could probably get by with 3 liters. It's several hundred ft. elevation drop down to that snow patch, so it seems easier to carry the 6 lbs all the way from 12.5k rather than dropping and re-climbing 400' with your entire body's weight. ;-)

Last edited by 2600fromatari; 08/17/11 08:28 PM.
Anonymous1 #17600 08/17/11 07:11 PM
A
A
quillansculpture, maybe these pictures will help you. All clickable for the hi-res image.
http://imageshack.us/g/9/img1240ew.jpg/

I drew some crude kindergarten lines for you in Paint on the second picture that might help out.

The red dot on the upper right hand side of the third picture is a tent.

The white dots in the red circle of the fourth picture is the only other group we knew of who day hiked the MR that day, and it looks like the lone backpacker who camped at Iceberg Lake tagged along with them. They started earlier than us, and were catching some zeeeeees at Iceberg before going on.

Last picture is the Final 400 with ice on the right.

Anonymous1 #17704 08/22/11 04:29 AM
G
gmisk Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the info all. This is good, I appreciate it!

Link Copied to Clipboard