Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PCT Hike Info Required
#17607 08/18/11 04:38 AM
OP Offline
Hi Guys

I am planning a bit of hiking on the PCT summer 2013
I'm looking at coming over from the UK, and am starting by cycling from Seattle to SF (so later references to redwoods probably taken care of with this cycle ride)

Then I want to hike a section or some sections of the PCT
Ok so I'll be hiking for several weeks, plans as yet not formalised

Id like to hike past or around the crater lake area, im also interested in Mt Hood, Mt Shasta etc, also I kind of have a nagging urge to hike Sequoia To Yosemite, but not too keen on crowds, but I probably will be looking at the Sequoia Yosemite hike, about 70 miles I guess

I understand that if I start outside Yosemite I dont need a Yosemite permit?? correct?? yes or no?

Also Im really interested in Washington Oregon, and of course the redwoods, so info and advice on hiking on the PCT regarding the above would be great

Ill be on public transport, im quite used to getting around USA on amtrak, and busses etc, and ive spent a lot of time in Olympic national park

So Guys I'm looking for any useful advice and im looking on making plans and having transport advised and info any time between now and summer 2013

Thanks Guys

Re: PCT Hike Info Required
SaraC_UK #17608 08/18/11 04:46 AM
B
B
Here is a link to detailed PCT information:

http://postholer.com/faq.php

Bob West #17610 08/18/11 06:04 AM
OP Offline
Yeah, Thanks ive got that, but thats a hell of a lot of stuff to wade through, I was really looking for local comments, public transport etc

Interesting sections, drop of points for trains , buses, lifts to trail heads, local knowledge, best hikes through around Crater lake, or Shasta, or in Oregon or Washington etc etc

Plus a lot of this NP PCT stuff goes on at length about permits etc, but misses the simple stuff, ans assumes you inderstand all the ins and outs about permits etc

and having to book up 6 months in advance and giving you exact camp site day after day, leaves little room for flexibility, and also bear canisters, ive carried them in Yosemite and Olympic, as I am told to, but rarely see anyone else with them, etc etc

In the UK you dont need permits, its rather a weird concept, like some one making a decision to close a mountain for peoples safety, etc etc , big brother stuff,

anyways thanks for the info

SaraC_UK #17611 08/18/11 06:13 AM
OP Offline
For example I know if I fly into SF I can get a Bus / Train Bus for about $36 that takes me and my kit from the ferry building and drops me right at the visitor centre Yosemite valley, (and also some other big Cali Lake area I cat remember the name of, or I can get from Seattle to Olympic NP on ferries and busses for less than $20 ) Now that is useful info, and Im amazed of the amount of Americans I get into conversation with who are amazed at that, but of course it is true that many Americans are pretty much inseparable from their cars, negating the need for Amtrak, or busses

SaraC_UK #17614 08/18/11 07:16 AM
S
S
Here's a picture of Sara and Brent N this year on the JMT between Yosemite Valley and Half Dome.

Hi again Sara! I hope we can answer most of your questions here, at least the ones for the California section of your trip.

As for hiking from Sequoia to Yosemite, the JMT is pretty much the one and only way. If you are thinking about another trail, there isn't one. That is partly due to the terrain. You see, all the drainage is east to west toward San Francisco, so a trail going between the two national parks would have to climb every ridge and drop into every canyon along the way. The John Muir Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail (one and the same for most of the JMT) travel as close as possible to the crest of the Sierra Nevada range, so some of that up and down is eliminated.

If the southern extent of your trip is the southern end of the JMT, you will be happy to know there is public transportation from Lone Pine (just down the road from the JMT terminus trail head) back to Yosemite Valley, or north to Reno, Nevada.

Public transportation to Sequoia N.P. is available in Visalia, California. (Sequoia Shuttle, I think.)

As for the Crater Lake area, I am not sure about public transportation. But I might be able to connect you with someone who lives in Eugene, Oregon, (about 3 hours from C.L.) and who also bicycled that section of Highway 1 down the west coast last summer.

Steve C #17625 08/18/11 10:31 AM

all you need to get to the other end
http://pacificcresttrailmap.com/

permits - you need just one - the long distance through hike permit:
http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/permits.asp

SaraC_UK #17637 08/18/11 01:22 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: SaraC_UK
Plus a lot of this NP PCT stuff goes on at length about permits etc, but misses the simple stuff, and assumes you understand all the ins and outs about permits etc
Sara, the PCT association gives a permit that I believe all the rangers recognize along the entire PCT. So if you started up in Washington, it would technically be valid all the way to your southern end, through Yosemite to Mt. Whitney. (...Reading Fishmonger's link above, I see it is only available to hikers planning to hike 500+ miles. frown  )

If you plan on using the Main Mt Whitney Trail to go in or out via Whitney Portal (near Lone Pine, California), there is an extra $15 charge required.

Lots of PCT hikers jump around, leapfrogging sections when the snow is too deep, for example, in June in the JMT section. They never worry about the permits.

The alternative, to go without the PCT permit, is to snag a walk-in permit. They are available, to start in Yosemite as well as starting from Whitney Portal. If those options are what you want, let us know, and we can give you more info.

SaraC_UK #17652 08/19/11 08:35 AM
B
B
Maybe you know about this, but United flies into the Mammoth/Yosemite airport daily. From Mammoth you can take a shuttle bus into the Yosemite Valley - check the Yosemite website for info.

SaraC_UK #17655 08/19/11 02:01 PM
A nice set of maps with detailed info can be found here:
http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/mapdl.html

Fishmonger #17945 08/30/11 12:45 PM
OP Offline
WOW you guys are amazing, I dont look for a few days and I get an avalanche of Info, thanks guys I will be digesting this lot over the next few weeks, and start some sort of plan
Im not planning on starting till late spring, summer (well summer really) 2013, so got lots of time to think. Its only money that is stopping me going earlier, so lots of planning and saving, then I will be tackling sections of the PCT JMT after doing El Camino, Spain in the spring of 2013, then cycling from Seattle to SF

Thanks Guys

Steve C #17948 08/30/11 01:05 PM
OP Offline
Yeah I have taken that Sequoia shuttle from Visallia to sequoia in June one year, the day before a huge snow storm blew in and drove me out to the Grand Canyon

Visalia is a very odd little town

Sequioa snow June 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJf7gzSXDE

Fishmonger #17949 08/30/11 01:08 PM
OP Offline
Hey thanks Thats great

Link Copied to Clipboard