Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Possible solo attempt in late september....
#17644 08/18/11 08:14 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello out there to any who may be interested: I failed last year first week of October when the first snow storm of the season hit....i failed this year in late July, when i took diamox, (when it really was not needed) AND over did it on my pack.....instead of waiting until next year, i want another shot at summiting, so i will be trying in late september. I dont have any other time off work, otherwise i would try sooner. I am prepared to travel light, day pack, water, light foods, and very minimal supplies.... camp at the portal, then start my day hike @ around 12:30am, summit by maybe 7:30am or 8...then hopefully be back at the portal by 3 or 4pm. This would be either sept 28, 29 or 30. I realize this does not allow very much acclimation, ....but i guess i could try for an overnight permit, when i drive down. I have been training with lots of walking, hiking, squats, weightlifting, etc.

Any additional advice, to increase my chances, would be very welcome. I really want to succeed this time!!

"With each failure, you take another step towards success as long as you don't ever give up"
Re: Possible solo attempt in late september....
Norcalhiker67 #17646 08/18/11 08:29 PM
Bee Offline
NorCal,

Steve C and I were able to get walk-in overnight permits last year on this same weekend of Sept. I would really consider this, because you are already placing yourself in a sleep deprived situation by starting so early (my group was able to pick out the people on the switchies who had started at this time; they looked more sleepy than physically tired) Also, doing an overnight would allow you to sleep at elevation, so that you can mark acclimatization off of your list, too.

It is my personal belief that sleep deprivation and lack of acclimatization are by far worse enemies than being a bit out of shape when doing a day hike (if one was going to pick the worst of the bunch)I did my overnight last year with only one previous hike of the season -- being otherwise fit by running -- and I would denote my success to the fact that I slept late the day before the hike, napped up until entering the trail, slept at altitude, and generally approached the whole thing with a very relaxed attitude.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Norcalhiker67 #17647 08/18/11 08:45 PM
A
A
Let's say your dayhike is Friday the 30th. My advice would be to drive to the Horseshoe Meadows immediately after work on Wednesday. You now have one full night of sleep at near 10,000 ft. Next day, head down to get a walk in permit. I've never had a problem, and I doubt you will late in September. I've gotten one on a Labor Day weekend before. So far this year, I've walked in three times and received it three times without a problem.

Anyhow, drive up to the Portal after you get the permit and do a mini hike, something to get the blood flowing, but nothing to make you sore the next day. Grab a bite to eat at Doug's store and get some zeeeees. You now have a two nights and day at altitude. Combine that with some Diamox and the issues with AMS should be bearable, minimal, or non-existent.

Set a steady pace and stay hydrated, and you training should take care of the rest.

Last edited by 2600fromatari; 08/18/11 08:48 PM.
Norcalhiker67 #17651 08/19/11 06:59 AM
I think you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself to summit, and that can, at some point, be counterproductive (being goal driven is great, but only up to a point). It will happen, and maybe this time, if everything works out. There are a lot of variables, some of which you can entirely control (fitness, what you eat and drink), and some of which you cannot (weather, viruses, sleep quality). A trip up Whitney is rich with experiences -- scenery, meeting other people, learning what your body can do, all of which can rightly be enjoyed and savored.

Of course, there are things you can do to maximize your chances.

You might want to share your equipment list with folks here. You may obtain advice on how to lighten your load, or on essentials that may make the trip easier.

Your acclimatization plan is, as you know, a little lean. IN my trips, I have always overnighted at altitude prior to entering the Whitney area. This year, for example, I did two days of sleeping and hiking near and above 10,000 before I even set foot on Whitney (Little Lakes Valley), and then I hiked up to and slept at Trail Camp before going for the summit. Last year, my acclimatization plan was shorter, but I still had two nights at 9,600 feet (Onion Valley), and a night at 12,000 (Trail Camp), before I went for the summit. Is this much required? Probably not, depends on the person. And yet, these hikes were just as enjoyable as Whitney, and certainly increased our chances of a successful summit.

Akichow #17657 08/19/11 08:14 PM
N
OP Offline
N
ok, let me clarify what my original plan was for late september: I was planning on leaving on thursday morning(9/29) around 4am, get to lone pine @ 10, get my permit(hopefully), do a short hike, go to the portal, and get to sleep around 3 or 4pm, so i could a full afternoon/night of sleep. Get up @ 11:30pm, and hit the trail by 12:15 or 12:30am......The plan to head down on that wednesday night is excellent! I could get to cottonwood lakes TH, at around midnight, get up in the morning, get the permit, do a hike then get to bed very early around 4, and be well rested, and better acclimatized for the 30th. Thanks for all the great advice. Perhaps, i can ask more advice, in future regarding my gear and pack....so perhaps I can avoid the embarrassing situation with my pack I had in July. I have really made good use of this great whitney forum website. It is great to see all the trip reports, and be able to obtain such good information. Perhaps i can actually provide good information to others, in the future.....I also look forward to seeing you all on the trail sometime....Eric.

"With each failure, you take another step towards success as long as you don't ever give up"
Norcalhiker67 #17658 08/19/11 08:19 PM
N
OP Offline
N
...some further thoughts on my plan...i also had the idea of starting the hike in the middle of the night, for nice cool hiking, less water used on the way up to the summmit, and perhaps, reach the crest around first light. I could then enjoy a nice sunrise on the mighty Mt Whitney Summit!.I guess we'll see....

Norcalhiker67 #17664 08/20/11 06:49 AM
W
W
Minimal supplies, eh. September ain't July. It can be damn cold at night up high, which can mean a lot of extra clothes especially if your plan is to be at Trail Crest around 5:30 - 6:00 AM.

I have been on crest or the summit at dawn 5 times, between August and late September. There has not been a time where was not cold to some degree or another. This includes to mornings on the summit where the temperatures were in single digits with high winds.

I would suggest extra of clothes for items that are wet from sweat; such as, gloves, hats and tops. I took a pair of gloves off at 14,000' to eat a Clif Bar a few years ago, when I put them back on they covered with frost and stiff.

Dry=warm

Last edited by wbtravis; 08/20/11 06:54 AM.
wbtravis #17665 08/20/11 07:15 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Yes, that is a very good point. i was already planning on bringing my marmot water proof jacket. It is good for keeping dry and keeping the wind off, and it is very light. Also gloves, etc. I said "minimal" supplies, but i will also include things that would really be needed up there.Thanks.

Norcalhiker67 #17679 08/20/11 07:02 PM
You're obviously thinking this through very carefully. We here in virtual-land will be with you on your journey and looking forward to the report!

Norcalhiker67 #17689 08/21/11 06:06 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: Norcalhiker67
I said "minimal" supplies, but i will also include things that would really be needed up there.Thanks.

Minimal has a different meaning various times of the year. Most will not think of bring extra gloves or hats in late September, I know I did not my first time up. I've seen people in running shorts and base layer top...no hat or gloves, when the temperatures was between 10 and 15 and the wind was at a constant 20. This was one of the few times I have hiked with a down jacket on outside of winter.

As for the waterproof/marginally breathable jacket, they retain way too much moisture for my tastes...and I'm not a monster sweater. Most of the time up this time of year and this time of day I utilize a microgrid fleece top and DriClime windshirt, I will usually put this on when I reach the Sierra Crest. When I get to the summit, I will throw on the lightweight down jacket, w/b jacket and Windstopper hat. I've have had five layers on one visit to the summit and was still freezing my skinny rear end off...in August.

Norcalhiker67 #17700 08/21/11 07:31 PM
G
G
I've failed on my summit attempts on two tries this year, and I too am going back. The first trip had me T-stormed off of the mountain with a soaking wet sleeping bag, and left me so frustrated and bummed that I went back the next weekend. Left on Thursday mid-day, picked up an available day pass for Friday, slept at the hostel, and left at 1am-ish. The lack of acclimatization left me hurting bad at just below 13k.

We're going back mid-September for a day hike, and I got lucky and drew the night before the full moon. I'll be leaving at midnight for no purpose other than enjoying the night. We're staying for two full days before the hike to acclimatize, and I've got an appointment with my Dr. for a prescription for Diamox, hopefully. Pulling out all the stops on this one, hoping everything goes my way.

It's frustrating to not summit, but there's always next season. Don't go beyond your limits.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson

Link Copied to Clipboard