My son and I hiked up Mount Whitney yesterday (Saturday.) It was his first time and we both enjoyed the beautiful weather. Unlike my day hike a month ago, the trail was virtually free of snow except for the snow field on the final, western slope leading to the summit. Some of the damage from the flash flood two weeks ago was in evidence but the trail itself was unobstructed.

We met many friendly and courteous hikers along the way. Many hikers were practicing the uphill protocol (yielding to uphill hikers) and people were generally cheerful. It semed to me that people were grateful to be doing something they love in such a grand place.

There has been much written on this board about wag bags. I am sorry to report that a number of discarded bags were left in plain sight. Why even bother to use one if you intend to discard it in such an irresponsible and offensive manner? Come on people!

We camped at Outpost and hiked out after we summited. Outpost is a great campground although some overnight hikers were noisy and flashed their lights into our tents. Still it is a beautiful place and were were also treated to the sight of a mother deer and her two does walking about.

We head back to the east coast tomorrow but we take wonderful memories of the High Sierra with us.

Last edited by Marty; 08/21/11 08:27 PM.