0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Campground closing dates Postpile area and other questions
#17437 08/11/11 10:39 AM
OP Offline
am planning my late season trip. Need to know if I can plan for a day or two hanging around the Postpile and Mammoth Mt. to acclimate, staying at a proper campground with bear lockers, ideally at Reds or Agnew Meadows. Looked for it on the Inyo FNS website, but can't find such info.

Related issue: where in the Eastern Sierra can I get a permit to start out at Dana Meadows Trailhead just inside of Yosemite in early October, when everything around Tuolumne Meadows is closed for the season? I will not be able to travel into Yosemite Valley to do that, as my car will be in Lone Pine, and there's no more bus service in October through Yosemite.

Or do I just get me a permit from Mono Ranger district and start somewhere else such as Walker Lake via Mono Pass to get to my route? But how would I get from Lee Vining to Walker Lake (any shuttle service in Lee Vining? Never heard of one operating there).

Can one get a wilderness permit with entry location "Tioga Pass" - given that's where I would want to enter the park to get to the trail I really want to hike just 1.5 miles west of the pass? I could easily hitch a ride to the pass entrance area, then start my hike outside of the park with a permit from the east side.

Re: Campground closing dates Postpile area and other questions
Fishmonger #17474 08/12/11 07:01 PM
H
H
Devils Postpile season info can be found here;

http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

I've been to the Postpile in mid to late Oct. on several occasions without any problems but that doesn't mean it won't be closed early this year because of an early storm. Oct. is a great time to visit the locations you're considering (Mammoth and Devils Postpile). The days can still be warm but with cold nights. There are definitely no crowds and you can drive down into Postpile.

I can't comment on the rest of your questions, sorry.

hiiker

hiiker #17515 08/15/11 10:39 AM
OP Offline
thanks for the info. I guess even if the campground closes (I've been there many times, and back in 2001, it was closed on October 12), I'll just have to camp in Mammoth as a plan B. Not a huge deal. I'll be flexible until I park my truck in Lone Pine. Since I have no fixed start date for the hike, I will figure out the permit stuff on location.

By the way, I emailed Yosemite NP from their contact page regarding October east side permits, but it's been a few days and no reply.

Fishmonger #17527 08/15/11 03:35 PM
S
S
Fishmonger, I'd call Yosemite on the phone.

Phone menu: 209-372-0200

Within the menu, Wilderness Permit info menu: 3
    Under that menu, the Public Info ranger is: 5

At 3, 6, it gives info on obtaining a permit, but you are looking for a special situation. I think the recording said permits were available through the end of Sept. So ask the public info ranger about October. They might try to discourage you, or they might agree to mail you a permit.

Please let us know what you find out.

Steve C #17702 08/22/11 03:28 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Fishmonger, I'd call Yosemite on the phone.

Phone menu: 209-372-0200

Within the menu, Wilderness Permit info menu: 3
    Under that menu, the Public Info ranger is: 5

At 3, 6, it gives info on obtaining a permit, but you are looking for a special situation. I think the recording said permits were available through the end of Sept. So ask the public info ranger about October. They might try to discourage you, or they might agree to mail you a permit.

Please let us know what you find out.

answer received from Yosemite - the ranger station will still be open on Oct. 3, and if it should close (e.g. in April when you enter on ski) you are to self-register at the ranger station.

Interesting - I wonder who in winter would ever know that I am on the JMT if I left a piece of paper at an unmanned ranger station explaining my plans crazy

They also said that in the future, there may be a way to self-register closer to Tioga Pass. Since my trip was planned go go over Mono and Parker Pass, the TM ranger station is actually 3 miles out of the way, but that's manageable.

Link Copied to Clipboard