Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Antelope Valley/Desert Weather
#1764 01/19/10 10:24 PM
CaT Offline OP
OP Offline
[Continued from the "Significant Weather" topic in the General Discussions forum]

I grew up in the high desert of SoCal -- in the Palmdale area in the Antelope Valley. When we got weather like you all are having there this week, I remember the dry creek beds becoming rushing rivers and crossing the various roads in town, making some of them impassable until the creeks died down again.

The street we lived on also happened to be the low spot in the area; and so, on these same occasions, I also remember waking up in the middle of the night now and then to see our street flooded from curb-to-curb, and sometimes, on these occasions, neighbors would get out their canoes and paddle them down the street, much to the amazement and entertainment of the rest of us!

Ya gotta love the desert!!

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
Re: **SIGNIFICANT WEATHER THIS WEEK - UPDATED**
CaT #1767 01/20/10 08:15 AM
Originally Posted By: CaT
I grew up in the high desert of SoCal -- in the Palmdale area in the Antelope Valley...Ya gotta love the desert!!CaT

My wife and I used to live in Juniper Hills near the Devil's Punchbowl. She worked in Lancaster. We don't miss the AV.

Journey well...
**SIGNIFICANT WEATHER THIS WEEK - JAN 20 UPDATE**
+ @ti2d #1769 01/20/10 10:20 AM
CaT Offline OP
OP Offline
I used to go to Devil's Punch Bowl all the time when I was a kid. Loved it. I thought the A.V. was a great place to grow up, and I do miss it, although having been back there many times since moving to Ohio, I know that the big growth "boom" that was predicted for so many years finally happened, which certainly changed the landscape (and not for the better). Palmdale was a sleepy little town of 10,000 when we first moved there in August 1962. Now it is over 100,000, and kind-of merges with Lancaster and Quartz Hill, and has become more of an overflow for L.A. (unfortunately). I still miss it nonetheless.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
Re: **SIGNIFICANT WEATHER THIS WEEK - JAN 20 UPDATE**
CaT #1777 01/20/10 12:09 PM
We lived just a mile or two from the San Andreas Fault.

Journey well...
Antelope Valley/Desert Weather
+ @ti2d #1782 01/20/10 03:34 PM
CaT Offline OP
OP Offline
Carolside Avenue (just south of Avenue Q), and later, my dad lived in Desert View Highlands -- both pretty close to the fault.

CaT

Link Copied to Clipboard