Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Time to Protect Yourself from Cancer
tyrus #13551 05/03/11 02:22 PM
C
C
Here are some thoughts from medicine web about SPF Medicine Web

The latest sun screens have been offering SPF that is way higher than what we have been used to. Coppertone, for instance, rolled out its easy-to-use sprays with SPF 70+, while Neutrogena offered an Ultra Sheer Dry Touch lotion in SPF 85, while another Neutrogena sunblock has a high sun protection factor of 100. This has caused a number of dermatologists to cry foul, complaining that SPF has turned into a numbers game.

But what really is the difference that a SPF 100 sunblock can bring compared to the usual products with SPF 30? Here are what the experts say.

You can never be fully protected against the sun's rays

SPF measures how much a product shields you against the sun's ultraviolet B rays, or UVB radiation, which can cause sunburn. However, even the highest of SPF's cannot protect you fully against the more penetrating ultraviolet A radiation, which can cause skin aging and even skin cancer.

The difference is just minimal

A sunblock with SPF 100 blocks 99 percent of UVB rays, while SPF 50 could protect you for up to 98 percent. Meanwhile, products with SPF 30 can deflect 96.7 percent of the sun's rays. Such miniscule difference does not matter, really, but buying a sunblock with a higher SPF could only end you paying more for just a little more protection.

You need a lot of sunblock to protect yourself

In order to get the SPF amount as advertised, you must apply an ounce or a full shot glass of sunblock on your body. This is a huge difference compared to those who only apply about half the recommended amount, especially those who buy a three-ounce tube then make it last for up to a whole month of outings. Remember that putting not enough sunblock could only yield half the protection on your skin.

Dermatologists actually recommend using sunscreens with at least SPF 15, as well as UVA-fighting ingredients like avobenzone or Mexoryl SX. They also advise wearing a wide-brimmed hat to protect yourself against the harsh sun's rays.

Last edited by CaliHawk; 05/03/11 02:22 PM.
CaliHawk #13555 05/03/11 03:09 PM
S
S
Quote:
In order to get the SPF amount as advertised, you must apply an ounce or a full shot glass of sunblock on your body. This is a huge difference compared to those who only apply about half the recommended amount, especially those who buy a three-ounce tube then make it last for up to a whole month of outings. Remember that putting not enough sunblock could only yield half the protection on your skin.

I have seen and heard that before! There is NO WAY I am going to get a shotglass full of sunscreen to stay on my face when I go skiing!

I have a doctor friend who tried to use the stuff like that. He looked pretty funny smearing on about 10x as much as anyone else.

Here's what I think: That "shot glass full" amount is likely what they would recommend for someone going out in a swim suit at the beach. It might take that much to cover arms, legs, face, front, back, etc.

Based on experience of people here, most put on a normal amount, and maybe reapply several hours later, and they never burn.

So what is up with that "full shot glass" recommendation? confused

Steve C #13557 05/03/11 03:48 PM
I've read recently that while sunblock helps to prevent sunburn, it's not clear that it actually diminishes the rate of skin cancer. I'm still going to use it in high-intensity situations, like at altitude, especially with snow/ice. It certainly helps me prevent sunburn.

IIRC correctly, it takes time (30 minutes?) before the blocking effect occurs, and have read it should be re-applied about that time as well.

Ken #13591 05/04/11 09:50 AM
N
N
Sorry to hear about your friend. I have used SPF 70, 80, and 100 in the lotion form without incident. This enforces the suggestion to patch test new products before using them.

Thanks for sharing and I hope your friend gets better soon.

Steve C #13593 05/04/11 10:00 AM
N
N
Originally Posted By: Steve C
[quote]
So what is up with that "full shot glass" recommendation? confused

Yes, I think that is for your full body and no parts left un-slathered. So one bottle is gone in 8 uses, which is a lot if you swim, rub, sweat, and re-apply. Maybe you use it up in two or three days? At $8 per bottle that is very expensive!

I find the brands are different: some go on and give lots of coverage with a dollop, others you need to glob on and rub rub rub. So, unfortunately, I must calibrate the bottles the old fashioned way. I find an arm or a leg is a good place to start callibrating how much to use to get coverage without being a yeti look-alike and go from there.

tyrus #16280 07/11/11 08:59 AM
OP Offline
I'm bringing this up in hopes I could get good thought, prayers, positive energy for my friends 22 year old daughter Amanda. Her melanoma has come back even stronger than before with more inoperable brain tumors and she has been given a time table for what she should expect.

I know it may be a lot to ask, possibly selfish for me in some ways to ask, but I remember Amanda as a little girl two doors down from me and it's difficult to understand the process of why I survived and she may not.

Yes, reaching for straws, doing more research and praying our butts off.

Thanks so much. Joe

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #16282 07/11/11 09:34 AM
S
S
Thanks, Joe. Passing along prayers and wishes for the best outcome. The younger the victim, the tougher it is to accept or understand.

quillansculpture #16284 07/11/11 09:47 AM
Absolutely Joe - ours prayers join yours.

tyrus #18004 09/01/11 06:01 PM
OP Offline
Another Bump:

My friends daughter Amanda died today form melanoma. Her 23rd birthday was this week. cancer sucks

He read this thread. He's not a hiker, but he told me to keep telling you to protect yourselves.

cancer sucks

quillansculpture #18005 09/01/11 06:53 PM
S
S
Awww... So sorry, Joe. It is just a rotten shame when cancer takes away our loved ones before their time.

To go at 22 is incredibly bad. And I thought my associate's passing this year at 55 was bad.

Sincere condolences to Amanda's family, you, and all her friends.

Steve C #18012 09/02/11 07:55 AM
OP Offline
You guys may be tired of me and all this "cancer stuff", but I thought Amanda should be remembered not only as a cancer sister and victim, but for what she loved most - softball

Amanda Littlejohn - player bio

cancer sucks

quillansculpture #18025 09/03/11 04:18 PM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
Things to help protect yourself from the Sun
* Sunscreen at least 30+ SPF - don't forget your ears, back of the neck and inside your ears
* Large brimmed Hat. A Sahara type that protects your neck is especially good
* Long Sleeve Shirt - many come with SPF protection
* Long Pants
Regardless of these recommendations I believe that most people in Sierra hike in shorts and T-shirt.
I am wondering what percentage of these hikers is actually using sunscreen.

Yury #18039 09/04/11 09:43 AM
OP Offline
Hi Yury.... I myself try to wear a long sleeve shirt, a floppy sunscreen hat, sunglasses and use sunscreen. I DON'T wear long pants. If I need to take the long sleeve off, I put sunscreen on. But it is a bit of a pain, so I understand why people don't. Even with my precautions, I still get some burn when I go up Whitney from the glare off of the granite. I try to keep it to a minimum.

I see most people using floppy hats and sunglasses. I know everyone in groups I've been with apply sunscreen. Many of the hikers, including Richard P and Bee take great care in how well they protect themselves from exposure. Richard P brags about his attire.......he sometimes looks like he should be starring in "Lawrence of Arabia".

But, to all his own. I've just seen too many people die from melanoma, including a couple of friends who had huge tumors on their faces, arms, etc. The pain they went through was incredible. I am blessed to have been with some of them in chemotherapy and even a couple of them in their final days.

I've had people send me P.M.'s on this site and the WPSMB site asking for advice on what they could do after a family member has gotten melanoma. I'm just asking people to be more careful. No one is perfect when it comes to protection and I've even gotten burned a couple of times in the last year, but it is important, but most of all, it's important to pass along the information. It may actually save a life.

quillansculpture #18073 09/05/11 07:53 PM
W
W
Joe,

My sincere condolences to Amanda's family. I did think of Amanda while I was hiking last week. I was hoping for much better news.

You're right, cancer sucks.

wazzu

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard