Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whitney Portal truck camper question...
#18247 09/11/11 03:45 PM
VO2Max Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi gang,

Did a search on this but did not find any answers, so here goes.

The wife and I were just talking about getting out of town for a few days and doing a nice day hike up Whitney either this Wednesday or the next.

We do most of our trailhead / pre-approach camping in a late model Toyota Tacoma Pickup with a small pop-up camper. It has been considered by the rangers in Tuolumne, the Yosemite Valley, Glacier and other places as a hard side and food is OK to be stored in it. Perishables are in a solar powered fridge / freezer and are therefore scent protected.

We keep it stocked, fridge running full time and live in bear country 24/7/365 so it has never been an issue but I can't find anything in regards to the policy at Whitney Portal campground or day hiker parking.

Any info on this?

Thanks!

Re: Whitney Portal truck camper question...
VO2Max #18248 09/11/11 04:19 PM
H
H
well, I have seen some pretty tough campers, trucks and cars torn apart. I would not do it myself.

you might even need to use that moniker, VO2Max, to run away!!

VO2Max #18255 09/11/11 07:12 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
I usually have my truck camper at the Portal 2-3 times a year. Sometimes parked behind the store with Doug's permission and sometimes in the regular lot. We eat inside, but we keep it clean. Never had a problem, but if a bear wants in, it's no problem for them..............................DUG

DUG #18260 09/11/11 08:01 PM
G
G
I will say this regarding bears at the Portal. I've camped there five different times this season, and the bears there are far more active than they are anywhere that I've ever been in Yosemite, or anywhere else for that matter.

I used to think Yosemite was heavy on bear activity, but not compared to the Portal.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
VO2Max #18261 09/11/11 08:12 PM
The rangers at the portal will ticket (or at least drop a note) if you so much as leave a water bottle visible in your vehicle. Apparently the bears now associate water bottles (even empty ones) with food....

My impression is that the portal is a totally different ballgame from anywhere else. It may be fine to sleep in your camper, but I'd be surprised if the rangers would advise you to leave food in there. You can confirm with the rangers though ....

VO2Max #18267 09/11/11 08:39 PM
VO2Max Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies folks, I will call the ranger station tomorrow. The bears have been really active in my area this year, three attacks in tents in backcountry spots over the whole Summer and now they are doing their usual in town in the dumpsters, etc.

Having said the latter, we pretty much take care of the camper in my neighborhood at 8,300 feet like any of you would if you were in Yosemite, very clean and common sense.

The first time I did Whitney was as a kid in the mid 80's, the last time as a trail run back in 2004......has it gotten that much worse at the portal?

Akichow #18268 09/11/11 08:41 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Leaving your food inside would be a bad idea. We eat meals inside, but clean up. (probably better than most folks do after a trip to a fast food drive through) There is nothing visible in my rig to a bear or ranger until they rip the door off or break a window. Then again, I haven't been up there this year so take this with a grain of salt. I'll be up that way soon hopefully and I'll bring my camper like usual.....................DUG

DUG #18269 09/11/11 08:47 PM
VO2Max Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: DUG
Leaving your food inside would be a bad idea. We eat meals inside, but clean up. (probably better than most folks do after a trip to a fast food drive through) There is nothing visible in my rig to a bear or ranger until they rip the door off or break a window. Then again, I haven't been up there this year so take this with a grain of salt. I'll be up that way soon hopefully and I'll bring my camper like usual.....................DUG

Well, we might have to use our freezer / fridge just for ice and cold water then, I am not shutting it down as we use this camper professionally in our line of work which involves a lot of hiking / mountaineering, we have a system that needs to stay somewhat in place.

We also bring our cat along since we are on the road a lot, I have no idea how the litter box enters into this equation. It's so depressing to people like us who actually live in the wilderness to see things get this bad because of people and their bad city born habits...

VO2Max #18272 09/11/11 10:15 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
I leave my fridge/freezer running the whole time. Not sure about the cat, not many people bring animals up and then leave them. I've seen plenty of dogs, but they were with an owner.

The only way to be 100% safe at the Portal is to not go. Keep a clean rig, use the same basic common sense you've been using and I'll bet you'll be fine.

Again, I haven't been up this year, so if there are two bears for every car and they are eating two year old gum off the bottom of floor mats, I wouldn't know. My camper was up there three time last year with no problems. Twice behind the store and once nearest the trail head.

Clean is your best bet. Enjoy your trip............DUG

Link Copied to Clipboard