Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2012 Route Suggestions
#18252 09/11/11 06:34 PM
W
wazzu Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Now that I have completed the MMWT, the focus of my attention the last couple of years, I'm starting to think of something for 2012. Actually, I started thinking about this on my descent from the Whitney summit, as I was looking west towards all the vast beauty of the sierras.

Rod & I will be walking/hiking the 2012 WWW Marathon the first Sat in May. (Rod, I'm not letting you off the hook wink ) Any one else want to join us?

Sometime after the WWW Marathon, I'm thinking of a 10 - 12 day journey that starts in the western sierras and ends on Whitney summit. Probably mid to late August, possibly into first week of Sept.

Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts on a route?

Re: 2012 Route Suggestions
wazzu #18294 09/12/11 02:38 PM
H
H
start South Lake - Bishop Pass - join JMT at Leconte Canyon and head south over Mather, Pinchot, Glen, Forester passes to Whitney. approx 100 miles. In my opinion that lower section of the JMT to Whitney is the best of the JMT.

Harvey Lankford #18307 09/12/11 09:02 PM
Such music to my ears, the sounds of all those passes. Like Wazzu, I am playing around with a different Whitney approach for next year. Sad to see this season coming to a close.

Harvey Lankford #18310 09/13/11 05:02 AM
W
wazzu Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Harvey,

Thanks for the suggestion. It goes on the consideration list, along with the High Sierra Trail described here.

I'm also considering a modified HST and starting at Atwell Mill or Cold Springs/Mineral King.

wazzu #18311 09/13/11 05:20 AM
W
W
OV to WP is great trip to the summit. It's much nicer than the southern approach out of Horseshoe Meadow.

I've wanted to do west to east but it is a logistical nightmare and I don't think I can take the roads to trailhead without puking 3 or 4 times.

wbtravis #18455 09/16/11 04:50 PM
I know this might be akin to blasphemy, and somehow I might get banned or something...

But how about considering going somewhere in the Sierra that's NOT associated w/ Mt. Whitney??

Jus' sayin'...

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #18457 09/16/11 05:17 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
I know this might be akin to blasphemy, and somehow I might get banned or something...

SOMEbody had the courage to say what I wuz thinkin! Incredible trails/routes/destinations all along the 395...Rock Creek...Sabrina...Pioneer Basin...(and all are much MUCH prettier than the trail up Whitney (my opinion) AND...no tossed wagbags..crowds...)

Okay, took the onus off of you, Laura...the hatin' can come my way!!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
MooseTracks #18459 09/16/11 05:32 PM
W
wazzu Offline OP
OP Offline
W
MooseTracks,

Don't mind the suggestion...in fact it's a very good one.

I want to see/experience hiking up Whitney from the west side (Crabtree).

Have hiked, although 25-30 years ago, many trails in SEKI. Did some trail maintenance in Kings Canyon in 1981. Don't recall why I never made it over to Whitney.

Have many other hikes planned that do not include Whitney.

Any suggestions for Domeland? I would like to explore next spring, or if the weather gods and work gods align, may be able to get a weekend this year.

wazzu #18465 09/16/11 08:08 PM
T
T
For me, 2011 had a Whitney trip and a Meysan Lake trip.

I figured I would work my way throught he drainages north and south of whitney. For 2012 I was thinking along the lines of Tuttle Creek, HST and Whitney MR.

Also thinking a Whitney april/may jaunt is should be included. But that will depend on how much winter training I get in.

Pretty much all of those will be new for me since I have only ever done the MMWT (and Meysan, of course).

Bee #18467 09/17/11 02:57 AM
Whit is a fantastic starter drug. Hell, I've had my share of multiple summit years, climbing vs. hiking, and looking for her on the horizon from all the summits I've climbed in the Sierra. She's a magnet, a gathering place for so many, and once she touches you, in any way (summit or no), her siren call brings you back for more. I don't get down to the WZ very often anymore, but I do cherish my time there: it's like hanging out with an old friend.

But, like any starter drug, eventually you end up craving more, maybe something a little different. And boy, does that lead to all sorts of trouble... wink

One of the grandest lessons I learned from the Challenge last summer was just how much different stuff was out there in our home mountain range. Those day hikes were a "Sierra Sampler" of sorts, a taste of every different geology, shifting light, climbing conditions, etc.

I would challenge anyone here to think of their favorite route NOT including Whitney and share it. Why was it special to you? Why do you think anyone else might want to try it?

One benny of ending at Whitney is that you're almost guaranteed to run into people you know, friends near and dear. You can sit at The Store, drink a beer, eat a burger, and recap your amazing journey immediately, the glow still fresh on your soul. One benny of both of the Whitney sites is that the mods tolerate tales from all over, instead of strictly up and down the MMWT/MR/westside, so you can post your adventure and share it with those not present at the portal (something of which I was able to take advantage and still appreciate greatly).

Alright, enough pontificating... sorry about the soapbox. I think you probably catch my drift.

So I'll start. I don't know anything about the Domelands, although I might go there this winter a bit to help rehab the knee. You could probably get more info from Tomcat or Sierragator on those. But my favorite trail route (even though I haven't always stuck to the trail!) is the North Lake to South Lake Loop through EVO Basin. It's my go-to recommendation to anyone looking at a 5-7 day adventure.

Originally Posted By: Bee
Pioneer Basin...

I love you, Beeeeeee... been much too long, my friend. smile

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard