Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 156 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Conditions for whitney in October not look so good :/...
#18782 09/28/11 11:51 AM
A
anthony Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey All,

I will be up in Lone Pine either late next week or the week after for some educational lectures in Lo-Inyo Elementary and really wanted to get in an overnight hike to the top of Whitney. Unfortunately the latest weather reports are showing for snow, rain, and just not so good weather.

Does anyone have any advice, from past years or experience for whitney in early/mid october? I have never done Whitney as well, so primarily reading books on the hike, but just rather nervous with the predicted rain storms next week.

I know this might sound really bad and stupid (plenty of helo rescue papers out there for whitney), but I also do not have a group. I was either hoping for finding some people on the trail to join or perhaps taking the challenge of a solo, which might be a good few days with good weather and trails, but again, just seeking the advice from some whitney vets.

Just really looking to get the hike in before the season ends.

All the best,
Anthony

EDIT: Might be able to sneak in the hike on the 3-5th next week if that will make any significant difference...

Last edited by anthony; 09/28/11 11:53 AM.
Re: Conditions for whitney in October not look so good :/...
anthony #18788 09/28/11 03:25 PM
W
W
The NWS has the weather a week from today in Lone Pine as a high of 78 with slight chance of rain.

The weather is the weather. Just go up the trail as far as conditions and your skills, clothing and gear will take you.

From past experiences in mid October, you have about 30% chance of seeing bad weather. Mid October is my favorite time in the Sierra...especially further north in aspen land.

wbtravis #18791 09/28/11 05:03 PM
A
anthony Offline OP
OP Offline
A
GREAT NEWS!

thanks for that travis and all the best,
Tony

anthony #18797 09/28/11 08:06 PM
S
S
Anthony, just be really wary of the weather, and check the forecast immediately before you go. (See the Mt Whitney Weather page.) Since you are new at it, just go as far as you feel comfortable.

If the weather is calm and dry, the summit can be your goal. If there is much more than 30% chance of precip, take the proper gear and just go up and explore the lower sections of the trail.

Keep this in mind: the point you turn around is ONLY half way. Getting to the summit is optional, returning is mandatory. The mountain will always be there, so you can head up again when the days are longer and temps are warmer.

But most of all, HAVE FUN!

Steve C #18810 09/29/11 07:44 AM
W
W
Steve,

You made me chuckle. We had a forecast for 30% chance of rain the first day in then clear skies for the other three. It rained every stinking day we were out.

One weekend, we were up doing Cirque Peak and the forecast was clear for the weather the whole trip...it rained both weekend days.

Any Sierra veteran can go on and on about forecasts and actual weather.

You have to be prepared for bad weather all the time in the Sierra.

The most consistent thing about Sierra weather is its unpredictability.

Last edited by wbtravis; 09/29/11 07:46 AM.
wbtravis #18880 10/02/11 07:24 AM
D
D
Remember, a forecast is just that, a forecast. It deals with a "general area" not necessarily highly localized. To many micro climates in the Eastern Sierra to cover all. But, it gives you an idea as to what to expect.

dmatt

Link Copied to Clipboard