#18870 10/01/11 01:37 PM
G
George Offline OP
Woodsy Guy
OP Offline
Woodsy Guy
G
All:

I'm forwarding the note below from Brad Ferlinger, Park Ranger & lead investigator for an ongoing overdue hiker SAR in Kings Canyon National Park. Please read and, if you were in the area of the missing person's route, call the Incident Command whether you saw him or not. Negative information is as important as a positive sighting.

We'll keep you updated on status.

Thanks!

George Durkee
NPS Kings Canyon

I am a Park Ranger who is working on the SAR of John Williams, if you have any information that might help us locate him or if you were hiking in the same areas during the same time we would like to talk to you and find out any information you might have. You can call the SAR investigations office of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park at 559-565-3762. Thank you for your help.

Entry date: Sept. 17, 2011
Exit date: Sept. 23, 2011
Emergency date: Monday, noon, Sept. 26, 2011

Itinerary:
Over Bishop Pass.
1. CAMP: Dusy Basin.

Descend to LeConte Canyon.
South on John Muir Trail.
Cross Palisade Creek (always difficult).
Continue south along Middle Fork of Kings River.
2. CAMP: Simpson Meadow or
between Palisade Creek and Simpson Meadow.

Cross Middle Fork of Kings River at Simpson Meadow.
Continue south along Middle Fork of Kings River.
3. CAMP: Tehipite.

Head north and into Blue Canyon.
4. CAMP: Blue Canyon.

Cross-country north through Blue Canyon.
Exit Blue Canyon over Reinstein Pass.
5. CAMP: Martha Lake.

North down Goddard Canyon.
Then south on Jonh Muir Trail.
6. CAMP: Between junction with JMT &
the Evolution Creek crossing.

Cross Evolution Creek.
Continue south on JMT.
7. Camp: Evolution Lake.

Continue south over Muir Pass.
8. Camp: Either LeConte Canyon
or Dusy Basin.

Exit over Bishop Pass.

orange jacket (sometimes), blue backpack, gray tent.

Thanks again,
Brad
Hmmm. The photo doesn't seem to embbed -- go to the link! Thanks...

Bee: yes. That's him. Grazie!! --gd

Last edited by Steve C; 10/04/11 09:36 PM.

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
Re: Active SAR Kings Canyon: Help needed, overdue hiker
George #18878 10/02/11 07:01 AM
G
George Offline OP
Woodsy Guy
OP Offline
Woodsy Guy
G
Good news. John Williams walked out last night and is home and well. Many thanks to everyone for reading this post and helping.

Thanks!

George
NPS Sequoia Kings

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
George #18890 10/02/11 02:47 PM
Bee Offline
Hi George,

A couple of my friends from the other boards I posted this on were curious as to what delayed John.

B

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #18893 10/02/11 07:04 PM
S
S
Yes, I am interested as well. From the picture, it appears John W is trained in SAR as well. Since we are all interested in how these situations develop, and would like to know how NPS responds, it would be very much appreciated if you could supply a report. And a brief report would be much better than none!

By the way, here's the news release from SeKi:

Quote:
News You Can Use! - Completion of Search and Rescue Operations for Missing Hiker at Kings Canyon National Park

For Immediate Release: October 2, 2011
Phone Number: (559) 565-3131

Completion of Search and Rescue Operation
for Missing Hiker in Kings Canyon National Park

The search and rescue operation for overdue hiker, John Williams, at Kings Canyon National Park has been resolved. John Williams hiked out on his own, in good health, and with enough food to complete his journey on Saturday evening, October 1, in Bishop, CA. He originally planned to return by September 23.

The incident management team at Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks expressed its appreciation to the many partners who assisted with the search and rescue operations. Partners included the Fresno County Sheriff's Office, Inyo County Sheriff's Office, Tulare County Sheriff's Office, Kern County Sheriff's Office (China Lake Rescue Unit), San Mateo County Sheriff's Office (Bay Area Mountain Rescue Unit), Inyo National Forest, and the California Rescue Dog Association.

-NPS-

Steve C #18925 10/04/11 01:21 PM
G
George Offline OP
Woodsy Guy
OP Offline
Woodsy Guy
G
The very brief summary I got (and I'm not in the park) was John realized he was way behind schedule and exited Piute Creek to Piute Pass (instead of over Muir to Bishop Pass as originally planned). On the way he met a packer who recognized him and went out with him (less sure about that).

All of you familiar with the terrain know what an ambitious plan he had.

This sort of SAR is becoming much more common -- people choosing long gnarly routes beyond their ability to keep that kind of pace or negotiate the terrain. Many seem to happen in the fall with shorter hiking days as well as bad weather keeping people storm-bound. Not sure of total story with Williams, but all of the above is suggested by outcome and his abilities.

To John's credit, he had a date he planned to be out and a "come look for me" date where he thought he'd likely be in trouble if not out by then. He also had a specific itinerary left with a responsible party.

Incidentally, on a not very related side-note: we're now getting a number of 'attempts to locate' from relatives or spouses of people hiking with SPOTs. If they don't send their daily "OK" signal, the relative calls the park and asks us to look for the person. As has been posted here, The SPOT has a very high signal failure rate and doesn't tell you for sure if a signal has been successfully sent (not 100% sure of last....). Probably have a policy on this next year -- e.g. if agency has no reason to suspect someone's injured, we don't look for them merely at the request of spouse etc.

g.

George #18929 10/04/11 02:00 PM
S
S
> As has been posted here, The SPOT has a very high signal failure rate and doesn't tell you for sure if a signal has been successfully sent (not 100% sure of last....).

A blinking light on the SPOT unit indicates that it transmitted a signal. However, it has NO way of indicating that a satellite was overhead in view of the unit and received the transmission.

The failure rate in the mountains is very often due to the non-receipt of signal.

So often, SPOT users don't realize that they should leave the unit on for at least 30 minutes AFTER pressing the OK button, to help insure that a message gets out. If they're in a tall tree area, or a deep canyon, they could transmit repeatedly, and a signal never get out.

George #18939 10/04/11 09:30 PM
G
G
I have to say, I don't know where the stats are coming from, but I've never once had issue with my SPOT not sending a signal out. I do, however, follow the direction and leave the thing out with as good a view of the sky as I can for at least a half hour after sending the message.

That being said, I think that the policy on not setting out to check up on folks just because a family member didn't get a check in message seems pretty common sense, and I'm surprised such a policy has not already been implemented.

I'd be pretty upset with my family for pulling something like that, anyway...

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson

Link Copied to Clipboard