I've done R2R2R three times, most recently on October 12/13 this year. I'm a slow steady hiker and get to be a really slow and not so steady hiker when I get to the last few miles of that 40+ mile trek.

The first time I did it as an overnight trip. S. Kaibab Trailhead to N. Kaibab Trailhead the first day (11 hours). N. Kaibab Trailhead to the Bright Angel Trailhead the second day with a side trip to Ribbon Falls (11 hours).

The second time I did it as a day hike. Bright Angel TH to North Kaibab Trailhead, back down the North Kaibab Trailhead with a side trip to Ribbon Falls, an back up the Bright Angel Trail - that was a long haul using the Bright Angel both going up and down and I ended taking about 27 hours for the hike.

The last time I did it as a day hike. South Kaibab to North Kaibab, and then back down the North Kaibab with a side trip to Ribbon Falls. Then up the South Kaibab (hotter than hell going up the South Kaibab in the middle of the day but still better than going up the Bright Angel Trail.) I made it from the South Kaibab Trailhead to the North Kaibab Trail in 11 hours, but then it took me almost 13 hours to get back to the South Kaibab Trailhead. I wanted to do the hike in 24 hours or less so I could call it a day hike. Now I've done it and I'm done doing it.

These are the things I found out:

I don't like going up or down the Bright Angel Trail. I like going up and down the North Kaibab and South Kaibab trails. The side trip to Ribbon Falls is worth well worth the time - it's beautiful. I didn't plan the last trip real well and had to wait about an hour for sunrise; so I could see the falls. It was worth the delay. Food is really important on this trip - real food, not goop and gel. Electrolyte drinks are also a big help.

Next October I'm going to go down to the River, but I'm going to do the Thunder River/Deer Creek Loop as a backpacking trip instead of another R2R2R trip. October is the perfect month for the Grand Canyon. I've hikes down the S. Kaibab and up the Bright Angel in April and late November too - those were also nice times, but not as nice as October.