Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Leaving Gear at trail campsite
#19825 11/13/11 06:12 PM
J
OP Offline
J
If I do an overnighter and want to leave the bulky/heavy gear at a trail campsite; how evasive are the marmots? I have a Tarp tent (uses hiking poles for support). My idea is to use a smaller summit pack and leave the tarp, sleeping bag, big pack,sleeping pad, stove;and food(in bear cannister) at the trail camp site. Since the tent collapses into a tarp; would it be better to pack everything up into the pack; or just leave the sleeping bag, sleeping pad and pack wrapped in the tarp/tent? Is it better to leave the stove w/the pack/tarp, or leave it out seperate? I just want to minimize the chance of coming back to the tarp/pack chewed up by the marmots, or having my 30 year old stove damaged or missing.

Re: Leaving Gear at trail campsite
JAGCHiker #19826 11/13/11 07:17 PM
S
S
Your stove will be fine, wherever you leave it. ...well, maybe not stuffed inside the sleeping bag. As long as all the food and smellies are packed inside the canister, and that is placed away from the tent a few feet, everything should be ok.

Marmots chew into packs and tents if they smell food (or food spills) inside. Your tarp tent doesn't close up, so all should be fine. Don't wrap anything up -- if something smells good, they might chew. Leave the pack zippers open, too.

JAGCHiker #19834 11/14/11 07:44 AM
W
W
What Steve said...plus

The most predictable thing about the weather in the Sierra is its unpredictability. Therefore, it might be in your best interest to have your sleeping bag secured so it does not blown away or, better yet, stuffed in a waterproof/breathable bag in case rain beats you back to camp.

JAGCHiker #19837 11/14/11 09:30 AM
One other note - marmots love salt, and will chew on anything they can that's salty. You may want to ensure that any sweaty fabric items left behind are considered.

I've heard this for years, but never thought it would be an issue with me. Last July I came down from a climb in Yosemite to find the padded (and very sweat-stained) wrist loops of my trekking poles chewed to ribbons. I had deliberately placed my poles on top of a bush, presumably out of marmot range, before roping up and climbing. The little SOB got to them anyway.

wbtravis #19851 11/14/11 07:40 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Sounds like I should just pack up before heading for the summit; and leave the pack covered, unzipped; the sleeping bag stuffed in a dry bag, and clip both the pad and dry bag to the pack? Bear cannister and stove stored separately.

Thanks to all for your input on how to deal with these big brothers of the GC mice....

JAGCHiker #19854 11/15/11 07:08 AM
W
W
I've never had problems with marmots attacking gear I've left behind anywhere in the Sierra...not including the times I've done stupid things.

The most stupid thing I did was leave all my breakfast food out in a gallon bag at Trail Camp. The bag was long gone when we got back. I got something out to eat when we got back and turned around to do something and that bag disappeared. I never saw the bugger that took it. Those marmots had enough for a year from those takes.

I've left GORP in my pack's top pocket more than a few times with the zipper left open, the pack was fine but the ziplock was chewed through and food gonzo.

Link Copied to Clipboard