Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
hello introduction
#2101 02/06/10 03:02 PM
J
Jimshaw Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi, my name is Jim Shaw which is why I use the name Jimshaw. grin I have spent a great deal of time camping, back country skiing, winter camping and climbing in the Sierras between Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. I am a traditional climber of the Yosemite school, which is interesting because now I live 25 miles from Smith Rock, an official ethic-less climbing area so contrary to us Yosemite purists. (They stand on pro and hang dog, not to mention bolting on rappel ugh)I live just east of Three Sisters Wilderness in Sisters Oregon, at 3200' elevation. I moved here from San Francisco to live in the mountains, probably because of my love for the Sierras, combined with wanting to leave California. I joined this group to share my experiences and to keep up with whats going on down there. smile
I will rarely make a comment that I cannot backup and I will never put down what others have to say, but I may disagree and ask them to substantiate their claim. I am a well known outdoors poster respected in many forums, laughed at in others. crazy
Jim blush

Re: hello introduction
Jimshaw #2104 02/06/10 03:18 PM
Rod Offline
Welcome Jim Shaw. Look forward to your posts.

Jimshaw #2109 02/06/10 07:02 PM
CaT Offline
Excellent. We'll look forward to your participation. Nice to have your experience here. You love the Sierra but moved to get away from California? You'll have to explain that one. I'd give my right arm to be able to move back to California (from Ohio) and live near the Sierra. I spent my first 28 years living in SoCal.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #2110 02/06/10 07:10 PM
Originally Posted By: CaT
You love the Sierra but moved to get away from California? You'll have to explain that one. I'd give my right arm to be able to move back to California (from Ohio) and live near the Sierra. I spent my first 28 years living in SoCal...

Hey, CaT, he lives in Oregon! Hood. Cascades. Fishing. Woo Hoo!

So, when can Steve C expect that right arm in the mail? grin

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #2112 02/06/10 08:10 PM
CaT Offline
Yeah, Oregon is sweet, too.
Right arm is in the mail, after I finish this post. eek
Sure will make it hard to rock climb, though...

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #2123 02/07/10 12:52 PM
You can keep your right arm... grin

Journey well...
CaT #2131 02/07/10 04:10 PM
J
Jimshaw Offline OP
OP Offline
J
CaT
California IS full of nuts and fruit cakes...
I feel sorry for you being in Ohio though, I moved to California from Illinois so I understand. smile
Now I live in a tiny town thats an official 1880s town complete with board walk on main street and rodeos.
Maybe the best part is being .1 mile from a wild and scenic river coming out of Three Sisters Wilderness and VAST wilderness/national forest on the other side of the bridge. I can drive a mile or fifteen miles up the road and into the forest on dirt to walk my dog and hike the river.
Funny thing is that few Oregonians or people from Washington actually BP or camp. confused You can always get a campsite in most of our parks without any reservation even if its on a nice fishing lake, grin but we have so many lakes who would go to a park anyway? My 12 foot canoe weighs 33 pounds so I can throw it on any little pond and generally have it all to my self. People here DO 4wd a lot though, and you will pass people off road so if you break down everyone will stop and offer help or just to tease you. Even during the week in the summer someone would come along and help you, its a very friendly outdoors community, at least on this ast side of the cascades. When I lived in Bend I was 19 miles from mt Bachelor ski area. Trust me, this beats the heck out of living in California and driving 5 hours to camp.
I also live 25 miles from Smith Rock but I haven't climbed there yet.
Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard