Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for Whitney Day Trip Partner/Advice
#21276 02/06/12 12:43 PM
J
OP Offline
J
If I get my permit for 2, I need a partner for a day accent in August or September 2012.
Need someone slow,really slow in speed, the altitude scares me even though I plan to train and acclimate as much as possible.
First time for me.
Going to start just after midnight and breath and drink and filter when needed,slowly as I go. Ya get the picture?
I really want to summit if possible but after years of speeding up peeks and climbs with my husband, this one is more challenging and I am looking for someone who wants to succeed if possible with keeping to the safety notes id; I will turn around if there is a lightening storm or if altitude makes me sick. So I am a research junkie and I know that the noggin needs to be used with this attempt.
Welcome comments or potential partners that have similar plans.
Joni blush

"If you don't have a strategy, you're part of someone else's strategy."
-- Alvin Toffler
Re: Looking for Whitney Day Trip Partner/Advice
Jonishiker #21282 02/06/12 03:12 PM
post a date when you get your permit :-)

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
Jonishiker #21295 02/07/12 07:51 AM
W
W
The MMWT is one of those trail where an experienced hiker can go solo. If your plan is to day hike and leave in the normal starting range, you will be within the pack...you won't lack for company.

As an experienced SoCal hiker, the only problems you might encounter is the elevation above Trailside Meadow and being able to read the weather at Trail Crest. Some wall out over 11,500' and first real place to get a read on the weather is usually Trail Crest...unless the thundering or the crest is clouded over.

I would suggest you come up the the Eastern Sierra about a month prior to your date and do White Mountain or Mt. Langley and drop in for a look at Whitney Portal. This way you find out what it like to hike to 14,000' and you know what to expect when you drive up to Whitney Portal for your rendezvous with destiny.

wbtravis #21299 02/07/12 08:36 AM
S
S
Joni, Wbtravis' advice is good.

If you can get up to White Mountain, (the drive is a bit more arduous than getting to Whitney Portal), the hike is easier -- a jeep trail to the summit, and you start at 12,000'. Doing that would give you and idea how your body will react to the altitude.

Just before your hike, my favorite place to acclimate is Horseshoe Meadows, 20 miles off the Whitney Portal road. I like to spend two nights there (at 10,000') before I try hiking to a 14k summit.

If you go to any of these places, you won't be alone. There are always people to connect with during the summer.

Steve C #21300 02/07/12 09:21 AM
Hi Steve - I am sure this is a silly question (apologies in advance), how do you camp two nights at Horseshoe Meadows? Reading the Inyo Forest website, they state one night max. Would you stay one night at Horseshoe and one night at Cottonwood? Thx!

The Mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir
mrshherrera #21301 02/07/12 10:21 AM
S
S
Well, I have just done a minimal camp -- throw out the bag and sleep, pick it up each morning. No need for a tent.

mrshherrera #21303 02/07/12 11:27 AM
W
W
mrshherera - The official rule is 1 night at any of the Horseshoe Meadow campgrounds.

However, if the area is not busy (i.e. weekends in July/August), the rangers tend to look the other way as long as your campsite is neat and your not causing problems, such as leaving food out or beer cans all over the place.

I've spent 3 nights at one site in Sept and had no problem.

wazzu #21304 02/07/12 11:55 AM
T
T
not only that, they have options to pay for more than one night on the little envelopes. So the policy is definitely in conflict with reality.

mrshherrera #21312 02/07/12 05:17 PM
W
W
All good Horseshoe Meadows camping answers. Let me add another...I've camped up there a couple of nights a few times. No one really cares because there are usually plenty of campsites between Cottonwood Pass, Cottonwood Lakes/New Army Pass and Equestrian camping areas.

When I utilize any the trailheads in HM, I always stay at CL/NAP because it is the nicest of the bunch. If we are using CP or Trail Pass Trailheads, we just move the cars over in the morning.

If you are really worried about this, just move from one campground to the other.

I can't remember the last time I've seen a FS personnel collecting fees up there.

As how to keep the beer ice cold while you are away for a few nights,...

wbtravis #21393 02/11/12 12:03 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hey, first of all your responses and mini debates make me feel right at home. I am serious, every bike shop,climbing store,angling shop,outdoor store or web blog has always been occupied by those that have an innate love for the adventure. And to each adventurer there is a very real truth to each experience. So before I wax philosophically let me just say,
thanks for each comment.
After many years of spending nights on the ground,in a bag,or in a leaking tent out in the middle of nowhere, I have done my time.
Now I try to start each day with coffee from a real coffee pot,without ant trails or bear tracks surrounding the abode.
Hopefully my permit attempts for MTW will produce a date and a day, at which point I am going to seek many of the high altitude areas you referred. The White Mountains looks especially accessible for some high elevation hiking and Horseshoe Meadows is close to some great wild trout waters.
I will keep posting. Oh and I loved the pics on the Wilderness toilets,I am a strong believer in outdoor commodes when they are available except the time when a rattlesnake hissed at me from the melon pile inside a pit toilet at Sespe Creek.

"If you don't have a strategy, you're part of someone else's strategy."
-- Alvin Toffler

Link Copied to Clipboard