Next Thread
Print Thread
Survival First Aid Test
#21955 03/13/12 11:50 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This was posted on another forum, and it appears to be something every hiker should read and learn from.

I don't think I would do very well with it.... Need to take it and learn!

Survival First Aid Test

First questions from the test:
Quote:
You have been hiking for a few hours in cold weather when your friend complains that they can no longer feel their feet. What do you do?

Re: Survival First Aid Test
Steve C #21963 03/14/12 02:23 AM
B
B
Comments regarding questions 1, 5 and 9. Arguments anyone?

Question 1: Frostbite

If it is only "frost-nip", first-degree cold damage, skin will be numb and has turned white; skin feels stiff, but underlying tissue is still warm and soft. If treated properly and warmed carefully, there might not be any permanent damage or infection. Probably need to get them to the trailhead and visit the ER.

If it is second-degree, superficial frost-bite, the skin will be white or blue and will feed hard and frozen, and blistering may occur. This is serious! DO NOT attempt to rewarm in the field! Severe and permanent damage and infection may be the result. This condition requires treatment by medical personnel trained in the treatment of frost-bite. Get help - call SAR. Bishop and Southern Inyo hospital staff are trained in the treatment of frostbite.

With deep frostbite, or third degree, the skin is white. blotchy and/or blue. Underlaying tissue is hard and cold. This is a very seriouis medical condition. DO NOT attempt to rewarm in the field! Severe and permanent damage and infection may be the result. This condition requires treatment by medical personnel trained in the treatment of frost-bite. Get help - call SAR. Bishop and Southern Inyo hospital staff are trained in the treatment of frostbite. The hospital treatment can be life-saving, but very, very painful and prolonged. During professional treatment, spontaneous amputation may occur after a few weeks (blackened digits may fall-off on their own) or surgical amputation may be the only recourse to prevent infection from spreading.

Question 5: Possible head injury.

Blood from the ears is a sign of possible concussion or brain damage. Answer number 3 might be the correct one, after you have called for help.

Question 9: Snake bite.

Option 1 seems the most sensible. I have been told that the pain of a rattlesnake bite is unmistakably severe; like being stabbed by red-hot needles. Aspirin will even not begin to ease the pain of a viper bite. DO NOT attempt to use the so-called snake-bite treatment kits sold in outdoor shops. Do not cut the bite marks! Get help, and get them to the nearest ER.

Last edited by Bob West; 03/14/12 02:24 AM.
Steve C #21965 03/14/12 03:11 AM
I only got one wrong so I didn't do too bad although a couple of them it was more logical guess work which wouldn't be fun in the field. shocked

RoguePhotonic #22005 03/16/12 06:54 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
The cPR is out of date (no breathing). CPR is only to buy you time until there is a defibrillator. If a defibrillator will not be there in 20 minutes, don't bother. (cold water drowning excepted.) However, go though the protocol, as they may be choking, not in cardiac arrest.

don't give Aspirin to a person who is bleeding, or any medication to a person with altered level of consciousness, which may trigger vomiting.

Ken #22059 03/18/12 01:09 PM
G
G
Got 14/16, so not too bad.

Apparently I need to brush up on my snake bite stuff, and the use of warm water to heat up frozen feet.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson

Link Copied to Clipboard