Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Camping at Upper Boy Scout/Iceberg lake
#22364 03/27/12 10:44 PM
D
OP Offline
D
What permit would you need to camp at Upper Boy Scout Lake/Iceberg lake in the Whitney Zone? The North Fork over night permit seems to limit camping to Lower Boy Scout Lake outside of the Whitney Zone and the Overnight Mt Whitney lottery permit is only for the Mt. Whitney Trail in the Whitney Zone.

Thanks,
Dan

Re: North Fork Permit
Steve C #22370 03/28/12 12:29 AM
S
S
Received this as a PM:
Quote:
I'd like to climb the mountaineer's route. If I have a "Day Use Mt. Whitney Zone" permit for example on a Wednesday but want to camp Tuesday night at Upper Boy Scout Lake in the Whitney zone what permit would I need?

As I understand it the "overnight visiting Mt Whitney permit" for the North Fork Lone Pine trail would limit camping to the Lower Boy Scout Lake and the only other permit for camping in the Whitney Zone is the Mt Whitney Trail Overnight.

Many thanks for posting the video coverage of the mountaineer's route.

That "Day Use Mt. Whitney Zone" permit is good to climb either the Mountaineers Route or the Main Trail. But the key there is "Day Use". It is not intended to be used with any other permit.

If you want to camp at UBSL, you need the permit for the North Fork Lone Pine Creek JM34 Trail. (Please be aware, it is NOT a trail.) Quota for those is 10 per day, 6 reservable (and gone) 6 months in advance, with 4 available for walk-ins at 11 AM the day before entry. (At 11, they draw numbers out of a hat, and lowest number gets first crack at the permits available.) If there are any no-shows, they become available at 11 AM the day OF entry.

The "overnight visiting Mt Whitney" designation is required so you can even FIND the North Fork permit, and it also triggers the $15 per hiker charge for being within the Whitney Zone.

The NFLPC JM34 permit does not limit you to camping at LBSL. You can camp anywhere along that route, Lower Boy Scout Lake, Upper Boy Scout Lake, Iceberg Lake, or even the summit of Mt Whitney! The only thing you cannot do on that permit is exit via the Main Trail. That requires the "Overnight Exiting Mt Whitney" designation, which then gives you the second "Trail Crest Exit Permit" to select, which is required to use the Main Trail if you are coming in from anywhere other than the Main Trail (or outside of any Inyo National Forest trail head).

Steve C #22375 03/28/12 07:54 AM
W
W
Steve,

I did not realize they did the lottery thingy for the North Fork backpacking permits. I thought it was the same as the rest of the forest...walk in at opening ask for your free pass to paradise.

You learn something new about Mt. Whitney everyday.

wbtravis #22378 03/28/12 09:02 AM
S
S
Oops! Don't quote me on the lottery for the North Fork walk-ins.

I think I may have assumed too much. Now that I think about it, I once got to the Lee Vining ranger station, since it is closest on my route over the Sierra, at 11 AM, and got two walk-in permits for the next day on the North Fork LPC trail.

But that may not be possible now, since it is within the Whitney Zone, and W.Z. permits are supposed to be available only at the Visitor Center s. of Lone Pine.

I should probably inquire about the current North Fork procedure.

Re: Camping at Upper Boy Scout/Iceberg lake
Danville #22381 03/28/12 11:26 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: Danville
What permit would you need to camp at Upper Boy Scout Lake/Iceberg lake in the Whitney Zone? The North Fork over night permit seems to limit camping to Lower Boy Scout Lake outside of the Whitney Zone and the Overnight Mt Whitney lottery permit is only for the Mt. Whitney Trail in the Whitney Zone.

Thanks,
Dan

If you have experience I would suggest beating the circus and get up there before May 1st. A friend and I are going up the last week of April, but I have done the MR and MT before and have winter alpine experience/ gear. Best of luck mate

Re: Camping at Upper Boy Scout/Iceberg lake
WildTurkey #22387 03/28/12 01:16 PM
S
S
The circus doesn't start until the end of May. If you check online, there are quite a few North Fork permits available through the first week of June. The first two weeks of May is wide open.

Link Copied to Clipboard