Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yosemite Accomodations
#22367 03/28/12 12:14 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Last year I hiked Mt Whitney and this September I plan on hiking Half Dome. (Although the thought of going up "the cables" makes me nervous). I'll be coming in from 395 (from Reno). Can anyone recommend a place to stay not very far from the trailhead? I really don't want to camp. I could use a place for all 6 people in my group or maybe just for my wife and I. I'm flexible. I checked the Ahwahnee Hotel but it's around $500 a night for a double! Yikes! Any advice will be appreciated.

Re: Yosemite Accomodations
RenoFrank #22371 03/28/12 12:48 AM
S
S
Try the Yosemite Lodge, Curry Village, or Houskeeping Camp. You picked the luxury choice.

Housekeeping Camp view:

Housekeeping is $99 for two in Sept.

RenoFrank #22383 03/28/12 12:04 PM
E
E
I just booked a cabin at Redwoods in Yosemite. It is not very close to the trail head but it is 6 miles inside of the South gate of Yosemite in Wawona. I was surprised how many cabin options there were and the price was reasonable.

"If you're gonna be stupid, you've got to be tough."
ejsurfs #22384 03/28/12 12:24 PM
S
S
Well, as long as you know....

Wawona is a good 45 minute drive from the Valley, and quite a bit farther for you to drive if you are coming in from Reno.

If it were me, and with the price of gas, I'd opt for a little more expensive accommodations in Yosemite Valley.

Steve C #22388 03/28/12 01:24 PM
J
J
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Well, as long as you know....

Wawona is a good 45 minute drive from the Valley, and quite a bit farther for you to drive if you are coming in from Reno.

If it were me, and with the price of gas, I'd opt for a little more expensive accommodations in Yosemite Valley.

I have to agree with both Steve's post, gas and time are both reasons to just stay in valley. I would just save the money and rent a room after your trip, it feels so much better.

"God has not called us to be successful but he has called us to be faithful"- Mother Teresa
RenoFrank #22389 03/28/12 02:11 PM
Frank,

I stay at the Yosemite West condos when I visit. They have nice studios with a kitchenette for $135 per night. It's about a 15 minute drive from the valley but very quiet and comfortable. The turnoff is west of the Glacier Point road. They also have studios with lofts that are nice if you have kids.

http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/yosemite_fourseasons_condos.php

Larry #22394 03/28/12 04:21 PM
S
S
You can always crash at Camp 4. Only $5 a night....but you will be camping. :3

Sheldon Neill #22395 03/28/12 06:27 PM
H
H
you will be wanting an early start - reasons being: go while it is cool, beat the crowds that start about 9, and finish the long day at a reasonable time.

For me, the best option was Curry Village. Don't wait for the shuttle buses to take you from there to the Happy Isles trailhead. Just start at 4:30-5:00 am, take a bit of a shortcut, not on the road, but through the tent-cabin city of Curry. You can get to the trailhead in the predawn purple light and have the place to yourself.

Here is what I wrote at the time:

Yosemite Religious Experience 2001

The pilgrim moved reverently through the predawn night, his way lighted only by pure white from the goddess of the night. On either side, immense stone pillars vaulted toward the limitless ceiling. Faint traces of incense lingered in the still air. Ahead, the altar drew him closer and closer. So near, yet so far away.

A religious experience? Yes, but not in man-made cathedral, but a 4:30 AM start from 4000-ft Yosemite Valley floor to the top of 9000-ft Half Dome and back. This was my third trip to the top of Half Dome. The climb always ends up with the last 500 feet of ascent on 55 degree granite using fixed steel cables, but this time it was the early start of this third climb that was so awe-inspiring. I was there by myself, and started early enough to literally have the entire National Park to myself. Not a sound was heard at that hour, no people, no cars, not even birds chirping.

The dark forest path was lit dimly by the moon, the soaring granite walls took on a different meaning in that light, and the faint vanilla fragrance of the Jeffry pines filled the air. I could not believe that I really did have this busy place to myself, coming up the most popular section of the trail. On the first trip in 1993, we had come from Tenaya Lake north approach on a two-day backpacking trip. Then in 1996, we had come from Glacier Point and the east approach. Both of these routes were longer, but with fewer people. On this third time, I expected the Mist Trail lower section to be crammed with people like it usually is, at least for an hour or two, until reality turns most of then back. But I had only seen it like this during the day. What a difference a predawn start makes. The route is 17 miles round trip, with 5000 feet up, and 5000 feet down. A long 11.5 hours round trip. But worth every step. Toward the top, a fellow traveler finally did catch up with me. We had lots of things to talk about, and ended up sharing the top together as well as the descent. Coming down, we were met by the usual hordes of tourists of various nationalities and skills, having fun predicting which ones would make it to the top or not. But we didn't linger too long. I had misplaced my iodine tablets to restock my water supply. The two liters I took were long gone during our one-hour lunch break on the summit. So while my friend stopped off at Nevada Falls to sightsee, I continued on down to below Vernal Falls where there was safe water. So I drank from the spigot, and was transformed back into a lowly, plain tourist.

RenoFrank #22900 04/15/12 10:28 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks everyone for your advice and information. We will indeed be staying at a vacation home at Yosemite West. I figure it is within 30-45 minutes from the trail head. I was surprised there are so many choices to rent a private residence inside the park. For our group of 6 the places I've been interested in will run us from $75 to $85 per person per night. There are a few reasons we passed on Curry Village: lack of privacy (the tent cabins seem so close together); shared showers; can't keep food in tent cabin because of bears. Now, about those cables...I'm still nervous about that part of the hike. Early next month my wife and I will visit Zion Park, Bryce Canyon, and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Anyone want to suggest some day hikes? Our first hike of the trip will be Angels Landing. Maybe that will somehow prepare us for the Half Dome cables.

RenoFrank #22901 04/15/12 10:30 PM
R
OP Offline
R
PS - We'll be staying a couple of days in Yosemite after we hike Half Dome. Can anyone suggest some day hikes and/or sightseeing?

RenoFrank #22919 04/16/12 09:31 AM
T
tif Offline
T
Originally Posted By: RenoFrank
Thanks everyone for your advice and information. We will indeed be staying at a vacation home at Yosemite West. I figure it is within 30-45 minutes from the trail head. I was surprised there are so many choices to rent a private residence inside the park. For our group of 6 the places I've been interested in will run us from $75 to $85 per person per night. There are a few reasons we passed on Curry Village: lack of privacy (the tent cabins seem so close together); shared showers; can't keep food in tent cabin because of bears. Now, about those cables...I'm still nervous about that part of the hike. Early next month my wife and I will visit Zion Park, Bryce Canyon, and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Anyone want to suggest some day hikes? Our first hike of the trip will be Angels Landing. Maybe that will somehow prepare us for the Half Dome cables.

For what it's worth - Angel's Landing was far scarier for me than the cables on Half Dome were...

tif #22944 04/16/12 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: tif

For what it's worth - Angel's Landing was far scarier for me than the cables on Half Dome were...

I tend to agree with that assessment. The perception of exposure is greater on the chains of Angel's Landing - even if you don't look down, you still get the feeling of exposure with the vast panorama always in view. On Half Dome, you can concentrate on each step and block out the view if you want to.

Link Copied to Clipboard