Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Uber Bivy
#18308 09/12/11 09:38 PM
OP Offline
I thought some of you might be interested in a bivy I started making since I couldn't find what I wanted. It's 1.5 lbs and big enough to get dressed in. All other bivy sacks were too small for me and I didn't want the weight of a tent. If you get to the Whitney Portal Store, it's hanging from the ceiling.

Check out MilesGear

Re: Uber Bivy
David Miles #18319 09/13/11 07:05 AM
S
S
Welcome David. The bivy looks nice.

What is the material used in construction?

Is this a picture of it in the Portal Store?

David Miles #18321 09/13/11 07:24 AM
my ueber-bivy is a MSR Twin Sisters tent - 2 pounds, 4 season capable, room for three in a pinch.

inside space video - I'll have this all to myself next month http://youtu.be/igWID9LO6lc

I can't imagine waiting out a storm in a true bivy - I need at least enough room to have my gear inside and possibly cooking space. The weight difference is minimal. Bivy is great if you are on a short trip and just need a potential retreat if things go bad. I do longer trips and a bivy is just not living space.

I suppose on Whitney the bivy is the idea shelter, as 99% of those going up only spend one night or maybe two on the mountain.

Steve C #18328 09/13/11 01:42 PM
OP Offline
Yep, that's it in the Portal Store. Many thanks to Doug and Earlene!

David Miles #18351 09/14/11 05:00 AM
People that make gear like this amaze me. If I tried this I would end up with a bad leaky poncho and three fingers stitched together.

What material is it made of (how breathable vs water resistant)?

How do you sleep upside down on the ceiling?

SierraNevada #18352 09/14/11 05:31 AM
OP Offline
Did I forget to mention that I sleep like a bat?

The bottom is Tyvek HomeWrap (very waterproof) and the top is a Polypropylene microporous membrane. This fabric breathes much better than GoreTex. My son and I have had some fun testing the seam sealing in the sprinklers. Doing SAR I needed an absolutely stormproof shelter for one that still had room for all my gear and that I can get dressed in. As usual, necessity is the mother of invention. I live in Ridgecrest (1 hour South of Lone Pine) and invite anyone to stop by and check one out. It is amazing how comfortable they are (not hot and sweaty).

SierraNevada #18354 09/14/11 06:02 AM
Originally Posted By: SierraNevada
How do you sleep upside down on the ceiling?

Duct tape...not included, sold separately grin

SierraNevada, you "bivyed" into that one.

Journey well...
David Miles #18413 09/15/11 03:58 PM
Nice bivy, and you made it, wow..awesome...I might have to borrow it this weekend. No one will miss it if I snag it from the ceiling of the Portal Store. I'll bring it back on Sunday and hang it back on the ceiling.

Lynnaroo
David Miles #18525 09/19/11 05:03 PM
David,

In answer to queries about having tie-down loops for the Uber Bivy how might these work?

http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-120-grip-clips-4-pack.aspx

I've used them for a few years with no fabric damage.

They operate on this principle but are a lot smaller:

http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/

Last edited by Mike Condron; 09/19/11 05:07 PM.

Mike
Mike Condron #18529 09/19/11 06:03 PM
OP Offline
Mike,

I have used a lot of variations on the grip clip theme. I could add tie-down loops, or someone could use these. Either way, it would probably work. I'm big enough that I don't have any trouble with it blowing away with me in it (or just my pack in it). If I leave my bivy and sleeping bag at camp for the day, I just fold it in half and put a rock or two on it (being careful not to tear the Tyvek). I just don't want to risk having a hole in the middle of the night from thrashing about.

Do you think I should add the loops? I could add a disclaimer like "use at your own risk".

Dave

David Miles #18538 09/20/11 05:41 AM
Originally Posted By: David Miles
Mike,

I have used a lot of variations on the grip clip theme. I could add tie-down loops, or someone could use these. Either way, it would probably work. I'm big enough that I don't have any trouble with it blowing away with me in it (or just my pack in it). If I leave my bivy and sleeping bag at camp for the day, I just fold it in half and put a rock or two on it (being careful not to tear the Tyvek). I just don't want to risk having a hole in the middle of the night from thrashing about.

Do you think I should add the loops? I could add a disclaimer like "use at your own risk".

Dave

I don't use the tie downs for high winds but rather to just keep the bivy in place so it doesn't get all twisted around while I toss and turn. With yours one should be able to get their Z-Rest or whatever inside which should hold the thing steady. I agree that for an unattended bivy in winds weighing it down with something is the best bet.

Mike
David Miles #19031 10/08/11 09:24 AM
I used the Uber Bivy last weekend while camped in Tanaya Canyon just before the first big bowl. It was pretty windy and a bit chilly. I didn't have a ground cloth so I put my Z-Rest on the ground and the bivy on top of that. I had my inflatable 3/4 length pad inside the bivy. I had all my gear including boots inside the bivy and still had no shortage of space for stretching out. I used one pole which was placed in the slot that lofts the top. I did not use the slot that is on the edge of the rain flap. We did get a sprinkle after bedding down and I just reached out and pulled the rainflap over and zipped it up for the few minutes we had precip.

My only initial concern was that the Tyvek would be noisy and bother my hiking buddy. Not a problem as it did not crinkle at all once it was on the ground. One thing I did notice was that due to the slight stiffness of the Tyvek the bivy held its shape and did not get twisted up as I tossed and turned.

I was toasty all night and did not feel any of the wind. No condensation formed inside.

The packed weight was insignificant. The comfort of being able to move around inside a bivy without feeling any restrictions was great. This is one of my better purchases. My only remaining concern is that finding my sleep spot after a foray at night when snow camping will be problematical.

Mike
Mike Condron #19048 10/08/11 10:24 PM
OP Offline
Mike,

I'm glad you liked it! Most people have initially been concerned about the noise of the Tyvek. I certainly think a tent or tarp out of Tyvek would be very loud. However, a Tyvek bottom doesn't make much noise when you are laying on it. Can't say the same for my NeoAir!

As for the room inside, I roll over a lot during the night and this bag makes it easy. I also sleep most nights with my bag over me like a quilt. Being free from ants and mosquitos with my sleeping bag open is great. I also like having my gear out of the weather. I've had 1-man tents with much less room for gear.

I share your concern about a white bivy in snow. We might need a bright streamer to find our camp. Maybe some reflective tape would be a good idea. I really wanted to have a bright color, but the manufacturer said it would reduce the breathability of the fabric. I went for the most breathable I could get after suffering from ice in my GoreTex bivies.

If you take care with the lightweight fabrics, it will serve you well.
Thanks,
Dave

David Miles #19080 10/10/11 06:07 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far on this thing, Dave. I'd like to hop inside the one in the store, just to see what she feels like in person. I may be up that way this weekend, is the display one still there, and does Doug take it down on request?

#19092 10/10/11 01:54 PM
OP Offline
Doug has one for sale and one he has used a few times. You could probably ask to get in the used one. You could also email me if you want to stop by in Ridgecrest and try one out. milesgear@gmail.com

Dave

David Miles #20300 12/20/11 06:39 PM
A
A
Anyone here tried out the uber bivy during these light winter conditions yet? Looking for some first hand reviews. I'm interested in taking this to Shasta and the Sierra early next year.

Anonymous1 #21467 02/14/12 04:00 PM
I've used my Uber Bivy three times now but have had no luck getting it to rain while in it. I'm 6'4" and 240Lbs. Plenty of room for me and my gear inside the bivy. It's as if the bivy isn't there as there is no feeling of constraint.

Last Friday night I used it at Rancheria Falls in Yosemite expecting rain but got none. It didn't get cold enough to freeze water bottles but I was inside the bivy without any head covering, no mittens, and a light top shirt. Very warm and cozy with a 25 degree bag. I would say the bivy gives at least 15-20 degrees of extra warmth. I tested it with the mesh open to the outside and with the mesh zippered. An amazing difference in the warmth with the mesh closed.

If you are a bivy person try this one, it's a keeper.

Mike
Mike Condron #22527 04/01/12 10:34 AM
A
A
Thanks for the review Mike. I think I'll give it a shot.

Anonymous1 #22588 04/02/12 05:50 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
I love my Uber, but you have to remember it's a bivy. It's roomy for a bivy, but if you're in rough weather, getting dressed and ready for the summit can be tough. Know, that with that wonderful light weight and small package, you give up some comfort.

That being said, Dave did a great job with keeping it light, spacious (relatively), and simple. I've put mine through the wringer.

#22593 04/02/12 08:02 PM
A
A
Thanks for sharing your opinion dude. A guy like you saying you've put it through the wringer gives me confidence. I just want to make sure it can stand up to the elements. I love the advertised weight and it looks a lot bigger than the other bivys I've seen.

I mostly day hike, and hate getting weighed down. That being said, I'm just not in good enough shape to day hike something like Tyndall/Williamson, so this fits the ticket.

Last edited by 2600fromatari; 04/02/12 08:41 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard