Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Portal Road Status
#22641 04/04/12 10:11 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I'm looking to do my first Whitney ascent the weekend of April 21/22 and was hoping to get some info about the road to the portal. I've read that while it is usually "closed" in the winter, it usually becomes CLOSED for a period right before it opens while they do maintenance. Does anyone know what the road status is now and what it might be in a couple weeks?

Re: Portal Road Status
SammySam #22647 04/04/12 11:59 AM
S
S
I called the Inyo County road department, and they couldn't say exactly when they would work on it; that it depends on what other emergencies and jobs crop up. A front loader has been moved up there and they are hoping to get the road cleared in the next couple of weeks.

The gentleman I talked to asked me to pass along that the "Road Closed" sign really means the road is closed.

Sorry I can't provide a better answer.

Edit 04/18/12: Word from Inyo National Forest is that there is word from the Inyo County road department that, if all goes according to plan with road crew work schedules...

The Whitney Portal Road should be officially opened Friday, April 27.

Last edited by Steve C; 04/18/12 02:42 PM.
Steve C #22650 04/04/12 07:28 PM
W
W
Hmmm...if the road was really, really closed, don'cha think they would put a gate there with $2.00 lock? Or at least a clip like they have at the closure just before White Mountain Research Station on White Mountain Rd.

Steve C #22651 04/04/12 07:45 PM
Steve - Did you happen to inquire about the status of the road to Horseshoe Meadows?

wbtravis #22653 04/04/12 08:47 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Yeah as long as I can get through I'm going to go past the closure, I'm just concerned about showing up while they are doing road work in preparation for opening it up for the summer

SammySam #22654 04/04/12 08:59 PM
Copied from my 3-30-12 MR TR:

The road crews have started work on the portal road. When we drove down Friday night, there was a big rock, a second sign, and some chains across the road at the "ROAD CLOSED" sign. It was much harder to squeeze by. A grader had been doing a lot of work between the signs and the first switchback. It may be tough to drive to the Portal, especially if you're on the road during daylight hours when they are actually working on it. The local authorities have tended to look the other way when climbers sneak around the sign. Please don't do anything to make them change that policy.

bobpickering #22699 04/07/12 12:41 PM
W
W
My group is going up the last week of April, we are looking for a backup plan if the road is CLOSED CLOSED. Are there any 14'rs close by that would be a good alternative.. we will be going up Tues morning returning Thursday evening, so we can only spend 2 nights.. any suggestions?

WildTurkey #22702 04/07/12 01:49 PM
S
S
If you park at the road closed sign, it adds two hours to your hike, but I think you can walk up the road.

Steve C #22713 04/08/12 09:49 AM
W
W
Add about 6.8 miles RT and 1,800' of gain from the car park east of the normal winter road closure.

My guess would be this is still better for your time restraints than attempting Mt. Langley via Tuttle Creek or Mt. Tyndall from Shepperd Pass.

wbtravis #22735 04/09/12 05:57 AM
Friends just got ticketed yesterday by the CHP for bypassing the sign and parking at the Portal.

We've all done it, but if the chippies are cracking down, and I don't know how hard core the judge is (it was the weekend and no work was being done on the road presently), it may not be worth the drive up.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #22738 04/09/12 07:39 AM
W
W
Now, why would the CHP drive 26 miles to Whitney Portal then back to 395, other than to enhance the state's coffers. There is a word for this...disgusting.

wbtravis #22741 04/09/12 09:46 AM
J
J
So you are saying that the Chippies drove 52 miles to ensure the pubic's safety ? That is what they will say if the ticket is contested. I know, we all know, 395 never lacks for speeders.Most mountaineers and backpackers have safety foremost on their minds plus there has to be more to this story, something that would explain what looks like "abuse of power." I wonder if one of the workers complained? In simple terms, This appears to suck!

"If you don't have a strategy, you're part of someone else's strategy."
-- Alvin Toffler
Jonishiker #22743 04/09/12 10:29 AM
W
W
Thanks for the stats of how much it will add to our hike. I agree an extra 7 miles in two days is not that bad. In the past do they open the road early if they clear it before permit season? Cause I am sure the Portal Store guys and rangers need to get up there prior to May 1st

WildTurkey #22745 04/09/12 10:52 AM
Don't want to get into a political discussion as politics is not why most of us participate in, or enjoy, this website. Just want to point out that there are a lot of different viewpoints on this board. Thus, if law enforcement are policing a road, some of us may see that as evidence that they are, well, doing their job.

Jonishiker #22746 04/09/12 11:04 AM
As I said in the TR of my 3-30-12 MR trip:

Originally Posted By: bobpickering
The road crews have started work on the portal road. When we drove down Friday night, there was a big rock, a second sign, and some chains across the road at the "ROAD CLOSED" sign. It was much harder to squeeze by. A grader had been doing a lot of work between the signs and the first switchback. It may be tough to drive to the Portal, especially if you're on the road during daylight hours when they are actually working on it. The local authorities have tended to look the other way when climbers sneak around the sign. Please don't do anything to make them change that policy.

I interpret the added rock, chains, and sign across the road as an indication that they don't want people driving up to the portal until they finish clearing the road. I can't find the post on WPSMB, but they were warning people back in February.

I don't like to see anybody, especially my favorite moose, get a ticket for parking at a trailhead. However, these guys are just doing their jobs. This crap about it being "disgusting" or an "abuse of power" will just make it worse. If we act like we have a right to drive around all those barricades whenever we like, the result will be more enforcement, not less.

bobpickering #22748 04/09/12 11:27 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I have to agree that you can't really blame them for wanting to make sure no one is driving through while they are doing roadwork, although tickets always suck no matter what the reason. I guess I will just have to stay optimistic that they finish up in the next 2 weeks, and suck it up and walk the extra miles if not. Either way I am super pumped for my first time on Mt. Whitney!

bobpickering #22750 04/09/12 01:35 PM
Thanks, Bob, but it wasn't me who got the ticket.

And, I agree, the guys are just doing their jobs. And, for further clarification, it's 13 miles from town to the Portal, so 26 RT. And, by going around the sign, we are, indeed breaking a law of some sort. I admit I've done it many, many times, but you do run the risk of citation by doing so.

Bitching about it "disgusting" is moot. BTW: the last time you were pulled over, was it justified? I know my speeding ticket, last year, was absolutely the fault of my own lead foot and good music...

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #22753 04/09/12 04:35 PM
W
W
Bob,

It was stated the ticket was issued by CHP. To me, CHP job is to patrol highways like 395 and our interstates. I do find it disgusting they would travel 26 miles off the beaten track to issue a parking ticket.

However, I would not feel the same way, if an Inyo Co. Sheriff issued the same ticket or if CHP chased someone up there on a violation from 395.

SammySam #22754 04/09/12 04:43 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: SammySam
although tickets always suck no matter what the reason.
i have always believed the bottom line reason is - truth be told - because we are caught doing something we know darn well we shouldn't be doing in the first place.

have a great hike, no matter where you park.

wbtravis #22755 04/09/12 05:01 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
Bob,

It was stated the ticket was issued by CHP. To me, CHP job is to patrol highways like 395 and our interstates. I do find it disgusting they would travel 26 miles off the beaten track to issue a parking ticket.

However, I would not feel the same way, if an Inyo Co. Sheriff issued the same ticket or if CHP chased someone up there on a violation from 395.

for over 12 years i have worked in a street level office, at a desk with a direct view of the street, in an unicorporated area of ventura county.

in this area the california highway patrol is responsible for street / traffic related issues.

and the ventura county sheriffs department is responsible for typical "police" type issues.

both agencies appear to be complaint-based when it comes to parking citations - blocked driveways, double-parking, etc. in my experience they do not go looking to give citations willy nilly. they don't have the manpower to do so.

i find extremely unlikely that a chp officer would drive 13 one way miles on the off chance someone might be parking illegally.

likely they received a complaint.

and they did their job.

smithb #22756 04/09/12 05:53 PM
Ridgecrest is patrolled by the local Ridgecrest police, Kern County Sheriffs Dept, and the CHP. I have no idea who is responsible for the where, what and when - all I know is that it's unusual to go more than 2 minutes with R/C itself without seeing one of the above. Occasionally I'll get gas at a station just outside the China Lake NWS gate, and one of their cruisers will pull in.

Have never seen any place with such a high level of police visibility.

While no one likes a ticket, the frequent references to driving around the "Road Closed" sign on this and the WPBB is like waving a red flag in front of bull. What was the line on "Miami Vice"? - if you can't do the time, then don't do the the crime? Something like that.

KevinR #22757 04/09/12 06:11 PM
While I realize Wikipedia is not infallible, this is what they say about the jurisdiction of CHP. It is indeed quite broad. This is consistent with the fact that counties are considered subdivisions of the State.

"The agency has specific jurisdiction over all California state routes (including all freeways and expressways), U.S. Highways, Interstate Highways, and all public roads in unincorporated parts of a county. Local police or the local sheriff's department having a contract with an incorporated city are primarily responsible for investigating and enforcing traffic laws in incorporated cities, but the CHP can still enforce traffic laws on any public road anywhere in the state."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Highway_Patrol

smithb #22764 04/10/12 07:46 AM
W
W
More than a few times I have been stopped for a violation and the officer let me off with a warning. It's called discretion.

There is nothing forcing a CHP officer to give a parking ticket to vehicle parked in Whitney Portal...unless blocking the road or preventing InyoTrans from doing road work.

You are right the officer did his job. That doesn't make it right.

wbtravis #22766 04/10/12 11:26 AM
dbd Offline
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
More than a few times I have been stopped for a violation and the officer let me off with a warning. It's called discretion.
You are right the officer did his job. That doesn't make it right.

Hikers and climbers have benefited from discretion all winter.

The only thing that isn't right here might be that the beneficiaries of the winter's discretion feel so entitled as to suggest that they shouldn't be restricted by anything less than someone who would have to be additionally stationed on site during road opening maintenance.

Dale B. Dalrymple

SammySam #22798 04/12/12 08:25 AM
F
F
hey guys. i have a permit for may 6th. i've never hiked mt whitney this early in the year but i feel encouraged that the lack of snow this winter will give me an edge (or at least i hope it will!). however, all this talk about the gate being closed has me wondering if the road will be open for me to make use of my permit and hike. does anyone know if the gate will be open? thanks in advance!

fran dominguez #22801 04/12/12 11:59 AM
W
W
I would say yes, they will keep the road open.. the permit season is a big bread winner for the area so its in their financial interest to keep it open

WildTurkey #22802 04/12/12 02:45 PM
CaT Offline
It's opened only when road/weather conditions warrant it. Safety is always first. Even if there is a lack of snow, there is usually leftover rockfall/slides, etc. from the previous winter that need to be cleared first. There is no set date to open the road that I am aware of. Each year is different.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
dbd #22805 04/12/12 08:01 PM
J
J
Dale,
I bet if someone watched you in your local neighborhood there just might be a time where you rolled through a stop instead of the full count to 3.If not you might have OCD (just joking) What you call entitlement is just a home territory phenomenon that we all do occasionally, and when someone climbs or hikes or drives in an area often enough it does start to feel like home territory. But it has nothing to do with entitlement or lack of safety first.
I would love to hear from others but my guess is that most have great respect for the officers who put their lives on the line every day not to mention the rescues they do.
The real life stories I have read on this board have been true real life adventures and often calculated risks. This is the enjoyable part, but I also enjoy hearing about everyone's opinions backed up with their life experience.The opinions that are cut and pasted are just well, boring.
P.S. Have you ever watched Mike Row's show about Safety First?
It is one of the funniest shows and it helps us to not take ourselves too seriously.
Hope to see you on the mountain.

-- Alvin Toffler
Jonishiker #22806 04/12/12 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Jonishiker
I bet if someone watched you in your local neighborhood there just might be a time where you rolled through a stop instead of the full count to 3.If not you might have OCD (just joking) What you call entitlement is just a home territory phenomenon that we all do occasionally, and when someone climbs or hikes or drives in an area often enough it does start to feel like home territory. But it has nothing to do with entitlement or lack of safety first.

So, by your own logic, it's OK to break the law as long as it's your home turf? Hmmm... that makes most of the periphery of CA my home turf, having grown up in the Bay Area, LA for grad school, and now living here on the east side. Someone else can look up the actual law regarding Road Closures and such, because I'm tired (the workout this morning was called "Mt. Tom" for a reason). But now that I know it's perfectly ok to not follow the rules wherever I consider to be "at home", well...

entitlement: the act of giving (a person) the right to do or have something

No matter how many times you go up there, by going around the sign you are breaking the law. Each time you do it, you run the risk of getting caught. There's your calculated risk, clear as day. I've done it myself, many times, and I've been lucky not to have gotten a ticket. But I would not be surprised if, one day, I came back down to the TOF and there was one there. Bummed? Sure! I mean that's that much less dinero for gear and trips! Kvetch? Probably! No one likes getting a ticket. Do it again? Yup! I like hiking the road for a workout in the evening, but starting the trip from there: blech.

I don't know that I see the people feeling entitled here. But I do hear a crapload of whining.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #22807 04/12/12 08:53 PM
The road does make for some good television. I still fondly remember last year's longest-running telenovela, starring the Subaru that got stuck and then unstuck through hard work and ingenuity.

Akichow #22808 04/12/12 09:08 PM
J
J
Moosetracks,
My posting was issue orientated, not fact orientated,no where in it did I say. It is okay to break the law, this was outside that particular box and yet still on subject. My best friend is a sheriff.
Actually I used to be a legalistic until I started to see many things from others point of view.I still have my own opinions but I enjoy hearing about others. I guess I developed mercy and grace. I have been in 100's of outdoor shops and and even at these places,many feel and act like locals even when they have live 300 miles away.
Oh and by the way, if you want to go there I actually did get a ticket one time when it wasn't even my car that the officer ticketed. The judge cancelled the ticket because while my vehicle was white,it was a different model.
And, I do enjoy your postings and your pics.Thanks for your comment.

-- Alvin Toffler
Jonishiker #22811 04/12/12 11:22 PM
S
S
I have a bad feeling about the events here.

On Wednesday, 4/4, SammySam asked about the road. So I hunted down the number, and spoke to the road foreman. And then I wrote:

"The gentleman I talked to asked me to pass along that the "Road Closed" sign really means the road is closed."

On Monday, 4/9, this was posted:
"Friends just got ticketed yesterday by the CHP for bypassing the sign and parking at the Portal."

and another wrote:
"...likely they received a complaint."

I have the feeling my phone call triggered the entire situation.

You can be sure people going around signs happens at places other than Whitney Portal Road. This sign was being ignored by a few people on Monday when I was there. I sure hope my posting this here doesn't trigger an official response.

Jonishiker #22812 04/12/12 11:59 PM
dbd Offline
Dale,
I bet if someone watched you in your local neighborhood there just might be a time where you rolled through a stop ...

People have been rolling through the closure without tickets since the road closed sign went up this winter. Most winters I'm one of them. This has been at the discretion of the authorities. The issue here is not a legalistic one.
But it has nothing to do with entitlement or lack of safety first.

The ticketing is entirely about safety. The ticketing occurs every year to protect the workers and the hikers during the road opening effort. As reported above in this thread, the road closure is beefed up to make it clear when this is happening.

I would love to hear from others ...

The others have already posted in this and other threads, on this and other boards that the safety period is here and requested respect for the safety concerns. The CHP gave out warnings before they gave out tickets. It would be cheaper and easier to close the road all winter with a locked hard gate. Those who like the neighborhood, and rolling through it, don't want the uninformed and the willful to demonstrate that such a gate is the only safe alternative. Hopefully this thread has helped with the uninformed.

Dale B. Dalrymple

dbd #22816 04/13/12 07:52 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
I'd like to take this opportunity to sidetrack the thread slightly while hopefully offending someone - two birds with one stone.

I'm from Ohio, so naturally I've got those midwest values / ingrained respect for God / Country / Police - all of which have evolved over time as I've been away from the motherland.

Seriously though, growing up I've had a great respect for law enforcement, and have always been glad they are there to help.

I've often read the back and forth comments about how terrible / awesome the police are below every online news story involving a police shooting / possible error made by law enforcement, and have just written off those that slam the police, etc as hippies / idiots / etc.

In recent years, my view has started to shift.

Reason #1: Girlfriend is sexually assaulted in her apartment building lobby one night. Police take report, then proceed to do nothing. Wait, I take that back. The detective on the case decided his time would be better spent hitting on my girlfriend the victim, while telling her "jokingly" that he was going to see that I was pulled over/harassed by his colleagues until I broke up with her so he could have a shot. Etc etc. Each time she interacts with this guy he repeats his attempts. They actually figured out who the guy was because my girlfriend did her own detective work ( guy had a sister in her building ), but apparently he didn't assault her enough to get in any real trouble. Hi-five!

Reason #2: Sheriff tracks down my girlfriend, telling her he has video of her stealing purses from a store and video of her car leaving the scene. When she tells him she's at work during the alleged crime, and that the car he's referring to is actually her mother's car (in my girlfriends name), he changes his story to he has video of her mother stealing them, and that he's sure it's her. When he then finds out her mother was taking care of her elderly client that day, and was at that shopping center but not stealing purses, he confesses that he hasn't actually seen any video yet, but he knows that her mother's car was one of several cars in the parking lot that day. I called them shortly after and gave them an ear-full. Hi-five?

Moral of the story is - if I have any trouble, I'm not calling 911...I'm reaching for my .40 - not impressed with law enforcement on the west coast so far.

#22818 04/13/12 09:55 AM
This thread has become positively toxic. Steve C. should, you'll excuse the expression, shoot it dead.

Akichow #22819 04/13/12 10:09 AM
S
S
I don't want to blow it away, since it has some good information within. And this is where we differ from other boards -- We don't wipe out useful info.

But I would like to remind people to keep it ON TOPIC, and please -- when you post an opinion, you don't have to direct any type of discredit to someone with a different opinion. You CAN write what you think without offending others.

And keeping it on-topic, I am very curious to know what the "parking ticket" fine was for MooseTracks' friends.

Last edited by Steve C; 04/13/12 10:12 AM.
Steve C #22821 04/13/12 10:14 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I'll also jump in with an on-topic question and ask what's the lowest elevation the snow from this storm is reaching? I'm guessing this could have a big impact on when they'll open the road up

SammySam #22822 04/13/12 10:15 AM
Thanks, Steve. I wouldn't actually want to see the past rewritten or eliminated. My metaphor, though seemingly apt, was not quite accurate.

Last edited by Akichow; 04/13/12 10:19 AM.
#22841 04/13/12 05:14 PM
Toxic? Hardly.... I personally don't have a problem with someone ignoring posted signs that are put up for their own safely, as long as they are willing to accept the responsibility and the costs involved if they get caught or get in trouble.
In other words, no bitching and complaining about it when you get a ticket or are rescued. Yes, I'm also a believer that one should be charged financially if they need to be rescued out of a disregard for law.

But, what surprises me most about this thread.....Burchey has a girlfriend?

Yea, Burchey, I'm sure it sometimes surprises you too!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #22844 04/13/12 05:44 PM
Yeah! Burchey - Girlfriend picture or it didn't happen.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #22850 04/13/12 07:08 PM
J
J
Excuse my absence I have worked my "rear-end" off today complying with bureaucracy,it is tax time.
First off Steve,thank you for your honesty,restraint is a difficult thing and I personally don't believe that this issue is your fault,it appears that you were doing your job by posting a relevant and hot topic.Most people are firmly on one side of this gate or another.
Take a good look at most No Trespassing Signs,in many areas they are full of bullet holes. Strong passions indeed.
If I could ask one favor of someone that uses his full name on every post,please stop the cut and paste partial quote thing.Most of the posts on this blog are quite thoughtful. I would much rather hear what your own experiences have been. Everyone has reasons,I would love to hear more of your story.
So it appears that the work is continuing on the Portal Road, this is good news because of so many budget cuts. I was worried that the repairs and upgrades would stop completely.

-- Alvin Toffler
quillansculpture #22857 04/13/12 09:33 PM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
Burchey has a girlfriend?

He's mentioned her before.

Which is why he's nothing more than a tease.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #22858 04/13/12 10:22 PM
S
S
And I don't want to discuss girlfriends (most of them in my life brought me more grief than good )

But I DO want to know what the fine was for the friends parking at the Portal.

wagga #22860 04/13/12 11:02 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: wagga
Yeah! Burchey - Girlfriend picture or it didn't happen.

Bam!

#22861 04/13/12 11:25 PM
OMG!!! I cannot stop laughing! Wow, now this thread is gonna get real good :-) I do love it that she has a psychology book and you have a guitar......

quillansculpture #22862 04/13/12 11:33 PM

And please, others are encouraged :-)
p.s. Burchey, you're over your PM limit.... I tried to write you.

quillansculpture #22881 04/15/12 08:01 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
This thread has become toxic.

Also, I deleted a few messages. Yeah!

#22911 04/16/12 06:48 AM
Toxic? <insert eye roll>

It'll flame itself out on its own.

But as for actual information:

The road is being cleaned and cleared, people are driving past the sign, person got ticket for passing the sign, others complained about it.

Toxic, indeed.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #22920 04/16/12 09:35 AM
W
W
anything new about the road? Will it be closed all the way up till May 1st?

WildTurkey #22922 04/16/12 10:09 AM
L
LJB Offline
L
I know the whitney portal campground does not open until May 16, does this mean the road is offically closed until that time?

Also do people camp at whitney portal while it is closed, or do you just park there and start hiking?

LJB #22977 04/17/12 02:00 PM
S
OP Offline
S
New update from Inyo Natl Forest:

4/14/2012 There is no vehicle access via the Whitney Portal Road,to the Mt. Whitney Trailhead. Experience with snowshoes, crampons, and ice axe is essential. Recent, heavy snow on top of existing snow and ice may create avalanche hazards, and makes conditions that even experienced winter mountaineers should approach with caution. Not recommended for inexperienced hikers until conditions improve. Snow and ice will be deeper at higher elevations and on north facing slopes. Obtain a current Weather Forecast and Avalanche Advisory before visiting. Do not underestimate the severity of winter storms.

No change from the 3/30 update...no idea what it's actually like up there - any locals or people who were just there want to give an update?

SammySam #22978 04/17/12 02:19 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Keep in mind, with the conditions report / warnings - they have to speak to the lowest common denominator (90% of the users on the whitney forums)

They'd rather scare off a few folks that would have been just fine, then rescue / recover a few folks that were in over their heads.

Steve C #23027 04/18/12 02:40 PM
S
S
Word from Inyo National Forest is that there is word from the Inyo County road department that, if all goes according to plan with road crew work schedules...

Steve C #23028 04/18/12 02:45 PM
like!

The Mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir
Steve C #23098 04/20/12 05:18 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Word from Inyo National Forest is that there is word from the Inyo County road department that, if all goes according to plan with road crew work schedules...

Doug wrote this afternoon (4-20-2012)
Originally Posted By: Doug Sr
Hi Roads open , store will be open in the morning and will have food next weekend.

A real big Thanks to the Forest Service for working on the water system , We had several breaks and a crew came down from Bishop and repaired the next day and are down again working on another break , This damage was from the winds over the winter.

It would be fun to pop in for one of his famous giant pancakes!

Steve C #23099 04/20/12 05:39 PM
Noted. Maybe I'll have some Lone Pine patients next week!

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Steve C #23139 04/22/12 11:35 PM
S
S
I heard from a friend, who sent a bit more on the tale of the Portal Road and those parking tickets, along with an image of a ticket.

The ticket is a moving violation/Notice to Appear ticket from the CHP officer -- the kind the officer hands you and asks you to sign. The fine for the ticket was reported to be $345!

Looking at the image, the violation is "21462W.E. - Failure to comply with regulatory control device (Road Closed) 'construction'."

Word I got: "some guy had gone up the road and managed to roll his car driving around a big boulder. The car ended up on the road, but upside down. He contacted a tow service, and they told him no way--to contact CHP. So CHP went up, saw the scene, got pissed, then immediately started issuing tickets. Before they were done they had ticketed 34 cars."

Steve C #23140 04/22/12 11:54 PM
Wooo Hooo, California Budget Crisis SOLVED!!!!! Thank you Gov Brown for using your enormous Noggin! Tickets, and as Jon Lovitz used to say on SNL....."yea, that's the ticket".

p.s. I actually got out of a speeding ticket in Pearsonville (395) a few years back..... Yea, it helped my girlfriends dad was head of the Northern Section of the Highway Patrol and asked the officer, "do you know Spike?" (the head of the CHP at the time)..... the officer just looked over at her and said, "you know Spike?"
Drove away feeling really, really lucky.

Steve C #23143 04/23/12 10:15 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: Doug Sr
Hi Roads open , store will be open in the morning and will have food next weekend.

GREAT NEWS!! Did not see this post till this morning. We are heading up to Lone pine tonight to get a good meal for dinner, then will sleep at the portal and leave in the early morning hours for UBSL tomorrow. Thanks to everyone Especially Steve for all the information. Will be back Friday to post a thorough trip report by this weekend. It looks like the weather is going to get interesting, wish us luck!

~Gobble Gobble

WildTurkey #23322 04/26/12 02:24 PM
Q
Q
I was asked to post any updates I received about the Horseshoe Meadow road. I just spoke to Inyo County Roads, and they said they had hoped to open today, but because of all the rock that still needs clearing, it won't be until next week. (I am very bummed -- I had hoped to get over Cottonwood Pass this weekend!)

Steve C #23378 04/28/12 03:19 PM
J
J
So there was more to the story, the CHP didn't drive up to Portal just to make a quick $11,700.00. So who pulled the poor guy"s vehicle out of the muck? I hope it wasn't a AAA tow company who refused to help. Or was it the same tow driver or company that was originally called?
If this same scenario had happened here a News Truck would have arrived before the the CHP and a manhunt would have insued for the
the missing persons,the drivers of the 31-32 vehicles.
" 32 Hikers lost in the Sierras,Story at 11:00."
This story has become even more interesting now.
Who was the friend that didn't make it around the gate? Who are all the folks that got ticketed? A few of them might chose to appear instead of paying? Did any of those ticketed vehicles belong to the construction crew?
I know some people, it could become a reality show.
Either way,it is more interesting than Octo-Mom.

-- Alvin Toffler
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard