Next Thread
Print Thread
North Fork February trip
#2271 02/12/10 10:08 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Seamus Brennan went up the North Fork Lone Pine Creek (Mountaineer's Route) on Feb 9 as far as Upper Boy Scout Lake. Here are two pictures he emailed to me.

His earlier report:
Quote:
I skied mountaineers route to upper boy scout lake yesterday (Tues,2/9) where, unfortunately, I judged the slope above me to be too unstable to continue up. I pulled up for awhile and watched the storm come in from the east until it was almost on top of me and then skied down. Started at road closed parking area at 2am....back at car about 1:30pm.....conditions were not ideal with deep unconsolidated snow in the gully leading to lower boy scout and lots of wind loaded slopes above with orientation being hard to predict....believe a bit more time needed for some consolidation of new snowpack.

Thanks, Seamus! Nice pictures.

Last edited by Steve C; 02/12/10 10:15 AM.
Re: North Fork February trip
Steve C #2277 02/12/10 11:55 AM
S
S
Thanks Steve for posting the picture for me, altho I'd prob. label it "FAILED Summit attempt"....here's a bit more beta and thanks for the interest......... Feb 9..2:00am.....my mate dropped me at the "Road Closed" sign..... Road was not passable more than a few hundred yards even with 4wd and really not worth the effort. Skinning up the road on this dark and starry night was fun and by 4am I was skiing off the main trail up into the start of the Mountaineer's Route. The North Fork Gully leading to LBSL can be difficult in winter....this time was no different for me.....three hours to climb a measly 1500 ft......the snow was deep and unconsolidated and it took a fair bit of work to get thru it even though I never came off my skis....not sure how snowshoes would go as they have less floatation and are slower......bypassed the ledges because of depth of snow on them .....headed directly up gully.... many avalanche terrain traps for the unwary and gully is prob. not best route of ascent after fresh snow, however, I worked past areas of concern and was at LBSL by 7am......daylight had caught me in the lower gully, going from black to dark grey, with the early low sun filtered by the clouds massed across the valley to the east, I knew a storm was coming and if I wanted to summit I had to hurry.....As I climbed to UBSL the sun finally cleared and the day turned bluebird.... at least above me....for a little while.... the increasing clouds building to the south and east had started to bear down on me and it was mesmerizing, like watching a train bearing down on you.....I continued to ski and had reached UBSL by 8:30. At this point I had two problems, the first was the slope in front of me.....that would be it in the photo Steve posted.....tried to get a decent photo of it with my 1.3 mp camera phone.....wanted to show aspect and wind-loading, also convex/concave shape (*note* sorry .... I am an utter failure when it comes to taking photographs, altho did manage to get a few videos shot on my ipod.... in which my giant thumb plays a prominent/starring role)......as I had climbed between the two lakes I had begun to set off small slab slides, to a depth of about 5-6 inches. The effect was more pronounced the higher I went and I had concerns over this slope above me......found a safe spot with similiar aspect and dug.....didn't take long to realize I wasn't going further up this day. Sat and enjoyed the rest of the time I had.....ate lunch, listened to music, drank my (failed)summit beer, and watched the storm bear down on me.....one of the great things about ski mountaineering is your speed of descent......as first LBSL and then my own position were overrun by the storm I headed down......skiing conditions were not ideal, breakable crust with dense deep snow beneath......back to trailhead in about 30 minutes with heavy snow falling where I met two snowshoers and my mate .....back at car about 1:30pm......a really great day in the Sierras !!!

Seamus Brennan #2280 02/12/10 12:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Seamus Brennan
...label it "FAILED Summit attempt"....

No such thing as a failed summit attempt. Just a change in direction resulting in a great day in the high country!!

Hey, you were up there while the rest of us were wishing we were up there@!

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #2284 02/12/10 03:58 PM
Agreed: only failure is staying home. I skinned up the road myself that evening with the storm and fading light, and the road conditions, especially right above the Road Closed sign, were really not pleasant skiing. I had left my truck down a ways and I finally walked the ending because of the ice on the road.

Nice day!!!

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard