Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
La sportiva Nepal evo gtx
#22726 04/08/12 09:57 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I was planning on getting the asolo Pumori gv mountaineering boots but there seems to be a lot of people using la ssportiva Nepal evo gtx boots. They would be primarily for climbing Whitney in winter, Ice climbing . Any one own them? La sportivas have all great reviews. I'm a size 8 and obviously I go up half size for socks,feet swelling. Any comments I appreciate it. Also does any one know what grivel crampon system they use. He grivel g-12 have three systems?

Respectfuly

John

"God has not called us to be successful but he has called us to be faithful"- Mother Teresa
Re: La sportiva Nepal evo gtx
John Prietto #22733 04/09/12 12:50 AM
G
G
Hey John,

I love my Asolo Pumoris. Can't speak for the La Sportivas. Asolos have always fit my feet so well.

I bought my Pumori's last year, and used them on quite a few hikes/climbs around Mt. Baldy, and one hike up to Trail Camp on the Whitney trail with my Grivel G12s. Never had an issue with blisters or break in, even from the very start.

I only use them when I'm anticipating needing crampons, as my G12s don't work too well with my Asolo Fugitives. But when I use them, I really don't notice much of a difference between the two pairs of boots outside of the stiffness of the soles.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
John Prietto #22734 04/09/12 05:39 AM
I've worn La Sportiva boots for about 5 years now. Not that particular boot, but similar. Trango Prime and Trango GTX. These boots fit like a glove, need no break-in, and are super light. They are not super durable, and there are narrow, so you definitely don't want a wide foot.

Sizing is rather tight, possibly because of the narrow cut. I usually wear a US 11 max, and in their boot size I need a European 45, which is usually translated as 11.5, but even with thinner socks, that's not working for me. They don't stretch out over time, so they have to fit from day 1 or you won't be happy.

My kids wear Trango GTS as well, and both love them. Never had a blister in any of them.

The Trango Prime is warm enough for Whitney in winter, but it isn't very waterproof unless you gunk it up with serious amounts of SnoSeal. I hear better things about the heavier Nepal Evo GTX, but it also weighs in much heavier.

No experience with the Asolo boots.

Fishmonger #22758 04/09/12 09:26 PM
What fits your foot the best? You'll get long lists of likes and dislikes about different makes and models of boots and shoes, but bottom line, the boots should fit, first time, right out of the box.

I don't believe in "break-in time". If something doesn't feel right, you'll know it.

So, for me, it's all about Scarpa. They fit my feet like gloves, and I pretty much have the whole line, from climbing shoes to my Mont Blanc GTX for ice/winter mountaineering. I had a pair of plastics, but sold them when my feet lengthened. Never got to use them... :-(

-L

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #22880 04/15/12 07:28 AM
W
W
I'm with Laura. You have the best boot in the world but if it does not fit ****you**** it is no good.

I currently own a pair of La Sportiva EVO, which I have used on winter day climbs in SoCal since 2007. They are very narrow in the toe and are suited for those with low volume feet. I've been using them with Black Diamond Sabretooth crampons without any issues.

My next pair will be something with a little bigger toe box but I can't seem to kill these things.

wbtravis #22909 04/15/12 11:24 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
I'm with Laura. You have the best boot in the world but if it does not fit ****you**** it is no good.

I currently own a pair of La Sportiva EVO, which I have used on winter day climbs in SoCal since 2007. They are very narrow in the toe and are suited for those with low volume feet. I've been using them with Black Diamond Sabretooth crampons without any issues.

My next pair will be something with a little bigger toe box but I can't seem to kill these things.

Well since my local rei's dont carry them i ordered them anyways and i started with size 41 and hopefully theyll fit. if not ill try a size up and if no go then ill try the asolo. I ordered the la sportiva because they say there insulated and the asolo's dont and every little insulation counts. Ive never tried la sportiva so well see but Asolo's love my feet but hey who knows maybe ill find a new love.but as june approaches im getting nervous because depending which boot i get depends on the crampon ill need and im assuming june in whitney will need crampons, but weird weather so well see.

"God has not called us to be successful but he has called us to be faithful"- Mother Teresa
John Prietto #22916 04/16/12 08:17 AM
based on the way this winter has been unfolding, this June you may not need any crampons. Check with the locals and look for recent trip reports online.

Fishmonger #22934 04/16/12 02:14 PM
John, what sort of mountaineering conditions are you planning on encountering? Those Nepals are super warm, and are really overkill for spring mountaineering, especially in the Sierra.

If you are stuck on La Sportiva, you might look into the Trangos. Much lighter weight and still a good stiffness to wear with crampons.

-L

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #22937 04/16/12 05:18 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
John, what sort of mountaineering conditions are you planning on encountering? Those Nepals are super warm, and are really overkill for spring mountaineering, especially in the Sierra.

If you are stuck on La Sportiva, you might look into the Trangos. Much lighter weight and still a good stiffness to wear with crampons.

-L

Im planning on the La sportivas being my winter whitney mountainers route boots not for spring. Im only stuck on the la sportiva because its either those or the asolo's because i will only buy from rei.Due to the gear being so expensive I cant afford to have something go wrong the day after the year warranty, rei (although i have only to use the lifetime warranty once) its nice to have that security.

John Prietto #22938 04/16/12 06:49 PM
REI also carries Scarpa and Lowa, and has the full range of boots for snow mountaineering.

REI Mountaineering Boots

Plenty of my friends have used the LS Trangos for winter in the Sierra. Warmth also has to do with accurate fit.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #22953 04/17/12 07:22 AM
W
W
John,

Since all the boots mentioned have a Gore-Tex sock, they will be warranted for life (normal life of the boot). W.L. Gore will take care of you, if the retailer or manufacturer will not.

Do not buy anything eVent. The stuff is junk and God forbid if your complaint goes eVent's parent, General Electric's Energy Division.

John Prietto #22956 04/17/12 07:58 AM
J
J
I've had my Nepals for the last three years and can't say enough about them. They fit my feet like a glove, have just the right amount of insulation for all but the worst Sierra winters, and my feet feel like a million bucks after a long day in them.

There was a break in period for me of maybe 30 miles or so and I did get hot spots on my heels at first - I wear custom orthotics (the 2/3 length type) that affected the way my heels fit in the boot. After changing around and trying different insole and sock combinations I found the recipe that worked for me. During the "break in" period I installed the extra tongue in the boot which did help to keep my heels locked in place better and have since taken it out.

Choosing the correct size was the most frustrating part of the process for me. The European sizing system didn't seem to lend itself to an abundance of clarity but after much consideration, I went with the 45.5 which was "about" a half size bigger than my street shoe size of 11.5 to allow for thicker socks and higher volume needed for my orthotics. It was pretty much a well researched guess but it worked out fine for me and even helped me choose the best size (46) for a pair of LS Baruntse that I got a year later for my winter doubles (a great, super warm and comfy boot BTW!).

I strongly recommend chucking the factory insoles, which I have found in most boots, is lacking in support and cushion. Be prepared to try out different styles and sock combinations in order to find out the best for you. Be aware that thicker insoles will take up more volume in the boot and can influence the fit/tightness in the toe and proper heel fit. When the boots first arrived, the first task was to put on my thick socks, insert my orthotics, install the extra tongues, tighten up the laces, and stand on a 30 degree decline (a two by four is what I used). Your toes shouldn't touch to front of the boot and there should be maybe tight fingers gap in the heel portion at the back.

Lastly, it was really important for me to be patient and sometimes creative to get the sock/insole combo dialed in but these boots are an investment in your feet and should last a long long time, maybe a lifetime. I can honestly say these boots are the best I've owned and consider them my "old friends".

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
John P. #22958 04/17/12 08:15 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
John P. said it well. Keep in mind, your feet will probably be hot in these things in June.

Here are three morons I know well with matching shoes on the North Fork for some ice climbing.

#23003 04/17/12 10:00 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: Burchey
John P. said it well. Keep in mind, your feet will probably be hot in these things in June.

Here are three morons I know well with matching shoes on the North Fork for some ice climbing.

Burchey no no ...not for June but rather for this coming winter trip up MR your taking me on. Well I ordered a half size above my normal shoe size. I have REI thick wool socks, what kind of socks do you guys wear?

John P. #23004 04/17/12 10:03 PM
J
OP Offline
J
John p kinda of funny since that's my name. I was thinking wow I really answered my own question good. Then I realized oh it's a different John p. thank you very much for the info I'll keep all that in mind and I'll try to do the same.

Link Copied to Clipboard