Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking to Trade June Whitney Permit for August
#22614 04/03/12 12:09 PM
M
OP Offline
M
First timer here with a 3-person permit for June 13th - 15th looking to trade with someone who has a permit for later in the year, preferably August (a more experienced hiker friend of mine suggested going later in the summer as the hike is still apparently very technical in June):

Permit Type: Mt. Whitney Trail Overnight Permit
Facility: Mt. WHITNEY
Facility Details

Trail/Zone: Mt. Whitney Trail JM35
Trail/Zone Details
Entry Date: Wed Jun 13 2012
Exit Point: Mt. Whitney Trail JM35
Exit Details
Exit Date: Fri Jun 15 2012

Please let me know if anyone is interested!

Thanks
-Matt

Re: Looking to Trade June Whitney Permit for August
MattNelson #22633 04/04/12 12:15 AM
S
S
Welcome to WhitneyZone, Matt. I hope you and your friends find lots of helpful information here.

Unfortunately, Inyo N.F. does not allow permits to be traded or sold -- the person named on the reservation is the only one (or the alternate leader) who can pick up the permit at the Visitor Center. This policy prevents hackers and scalpers dealing in permits like they did Half Dome permits last year.

As for your mid June date, this year might be ok. The Sierra has had a near record dry winter this year, so the trail will clear much earlier than normal.

Last year, the switchbacks were finally usable July 11. In 2010 it was July 1. But those were heavy snowfall years. Looking back at snowfall records, 2007 is more representative of this year. Looking up a report on wpsmb, I found this posted 6-3-2007:

Originally Posted By: georem
I was up there on Saturday June 2 for a day hike and the conditions were excellent. It is hard to believe the difference a year makes in the snow pack. There is very little snow on the trail and that is only on the switchbacks and a few spots above trail crest. The only area of concern to proceed with caution is at the cables. There is still snow and just a small area of rock along the cables and early in the morning it is covered with ice. It was passable but required careful steps and holds. I would not consider taking an ice axe and crampon unless you are going to go up or down the chute. There is still snow there but it is melting fast. A good report to look at is Bob R's "Mt Whitney Trail 23-24 May" post. Click on the pictures link and find the photo on the first page of the cables, although more snow has melted it is still pretty representative of the cable section. Good luck and have fun, it was a beautiful Saturday on top and very few people on the trail.

And Bob R's pictures are here: 2007-05-23 Whitney, Muir, etc.   Look at the pictures starting especially at "38 Trail Camp", and remember that these are a few weeks before you are going, and this year is probably even less snow.

Steve C #22634 04/04/12 01:04 AM
G
G
Steve, do we know how fast the online system updates when someone cancels a permit? Will we be able to coordinate with others when we want to trade permits, to cancel and snatch up the cancelled dates right away if we were to coordinate times?

Just curious, I haven't played with the system in that manner yet.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
GandC #22635 04/04/12 01:37 AM
S
S
I have been told that Rec.gov will be releasing cancelled reservations each day at 10 AM eastern, 7 AM Pacific time. But for a while, the reservations outside the lottery were being released at midnight Eastern time. I have several reservations to release, and when I do, I'll be sure to try to see when the number available changes for the particular date.

I imagine this information will cause a 7 AM scramble for permits throughout the summer.

I suppose someone could start watching the permit availability and see if numbers do pop up at 7 AM.

Steve C #22639 04/04/12 08:01 AM
W
W
I was up in May 2007, too. 2007 most likely will be a good benchmark for this year but if we get more snow or the spring is cool it could leave the 97 Switchbacks blocked at the cables later than first week in June.

If you are going in June, you should be prepared to climb the chute, if not your plan should be turn around and come back on a day where your skills meet conditions on the mountain. Personally, if I did not have the skills to handle this mountain in June I would still come for the experience. There will be permits available for mountain later in the summer...that is, if you are a SoCal or NoCal whose only cost to get to Lone Pine is gasoline.

The gripping season is officially open.

Last edited by wbtravis; 04/04/12 08:02 AM.
Steve C #22646 04/04/12 11:30 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Steve C
I have been told that Rec.gov will be releasing cancelled reservations each day at 10 AM eastern, 7 AM Pacific time.

I need to correct that info -- it is incorrect! That 7 AM release time applied ONLY to the April Fools Day scramble, for those unreserved or already cancelled permits.

For the rest of the time, each cancellation goes back into the available pool at a system-generated random time -- any time within 24 hours of the cancellation.

The random release time is to insure permits cannot be transferred. (Remember those Half Dome scalpers!)

Steve C #22732 04/09/12 12:09 AM
Y
Y
Thanks for the research, Steve, we are heading up June 26th and my group doesn't have crampon experience so I have been a bit worried about snow/ice on the trail. I was hoping with how little snow we have received this year that it wouldn't be an issue. I'll be keeping a close eye on the conditions and keep my fingers crossed for a warm spring.

ykill5 #22740 04/09/12 09:13 AM
J
J
We are going on the 24th and are int he same boat as you so we are hoping the trail is open early as well...

Check out my adventures at my California Travel Blog http://californiathroughmylens.com, excited I was able to add Mt Whitney and Half Dome to it this year.

Link Copied to Clipboard