Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Flu?
#22895 04/15/12 08:59 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
There seems to be very little in the news about people getting the flu currently, but it sure hit my household. Over spring break we had a full house, and within our extended family, the flu has hit nearly everyone.

It seems to be incredibly contagious. Out of 10 family members, only a couple have been missed, and even they are having some lighter symptoms. It has hit all the children, and the grandmother, too. It started over a week ago with some. It was my turn early this AM -- when it hits, the gut hurts like nothing else. Then everything purges from the stomach and intestines. I was listless/catatonic for about half a day, and now things are getting back to normal. It seems the worst part is over in about 12 hours.

So beware and watch out!

Re: Flu?
Steve C #22902 04/15/12 10:52 PM
Bummer for you and your family. What a way to spend spring break. I hope you all get better soon. Sounds like you're getting better, hope you're right.

I get a flu shot every year. Did you get one this year? Do you ever get flu shots?

This year has been a mild flu season at my company. I hope it stays that way.

Take care, Steve. Hey, do you ever hear from Rod? Hope he's well too.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #22904 04/15/12 11:00 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Actually, grandmother DID get a flu shot. Didn't help a bit -- must be a different strain than the vaccine was for.

Steve C #22912 04/16/12 07:54 AM
My wife and I NEVER get flu shots. Waste of money. There is always more than ONE kind of flu virus strain out there. Virus are living organisms. They adapt to their environment just as we adapt to ours. If you are gonna get sick, you are gonna get sick. Unfortunately, the young and old go through the brunt of it due to weakened immune systems. BTW, I ain't no doctor.

I got the flu March 2011. Yeah, it knocked me out for an entire week. Grapefruit juice, turkey sandwiches, chicken noodle soup during the day, and some 7-year-old Scotch for the evening.

Life's petty torments.

Steve, hoping for a quick recovery for you and your family.

Journey well...
Steve C #22924 04/16/12 11:34 AM
It amazes me that anyone gets a flu shot. It works for 1% of the population and has a ton of mercury in it. Mercury is the most toxic non radioactive metal known to man. It's a neurotoxin. You wouldn't inject lead into your body would you? So why would you inject a more toxic metal in a dose that is about 50X what is considered a safe level?

As for the flu I hadn't been sick in a few years and I got hit back in March by something pretty hard. Not sure if it was a flu. Then my grandmother has gotten hit by something this last week and then I got sick again which is pretty much unheard of with me. I can't even recall the last time I got sick twice in a year let alone about a month apart. What ever it is though seems to be mostly isolated to my lungs like some kind of infection. I'm almost recovered but it was tough at times while I spent the weekend working on Section E of the PCT. Getting pelted by snow and rain with 40mph winds while I cut brush on Saturday did not help my lungs much. wink

RoguePhotonic #22927 04/16/12 12:03 PM
I never got a flu shot, rarely ever get sick. Don't even know what the flu feels like.

RoguePhotonic #22929 04/16/12 12:20 PM
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
It amazes me that anyone gets a flu shot. It works for 1% of the population and has a ton of mercury in it. Mercury is the most toxic non radioactive metal known to man. It's a neurotoxin. You wouldn't inject lead into your body would you? So why would you inject a more toxic metal in a dose that is about 50X what is considered a safe level?

Facts about the Flu Vaccine and Thimerosal

Got something to back that up, Rogue? Or is it just more conspiracy theory BS?

Maybe Ken can chime in here.

Steve, sorry about Spring Break. My sister's boys also got wretchedly sick in the same fashion, and gave it to my parents, who were up visiting as well. Blech... frown

-L

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #22931 04/16/12 12:53 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Doing a little googling, it seems the flu shots are for the flu that gives people fever and muscle aches, feel awfully tired, and lasts days. I've had that in previous years -- one year I kept getting fever and then sweat it off, occasionally for 6 weeks. I was only really tired a few times.

The flu I had yesterday was only an intestinal bug. If there was a fever, it was slight. But it was pretty violent with my intestines. For my 7-y.o., the pediatrician prescribed an anti-nausea drug that was developed for chemo patients, and also recommended no liquids for 4-6 hours. We ignored that, since we got the Rx about 8 hours after the onset.

Two things about this intestinal bug: It happens and is over fast. And like both Laura's family and mine, it gets passed around easily.

...Oh, and I had a chest infection similar to Rogue's. Still coughing a little from that. Crazy stuff. crazy

Steve C #22940 04/16/12 07:19 PM
There isn't really any point in saying do your own research or going through all the trouble to post a bunch of links because people will believe what ever they are going to believe.

I learned along time ago that you cannot help people so it's best to not even try.

Steve C #22950 04/17/12 04:30 AM
Until about 7 year ago it seemed I was always susceptible to a flu or virus that hit my family or coworkers. On average I'd catch something maybe 3 times a years, with one of those almost always being an upper respiratory thing that would hang on for weeks. A friend recommended taking Echinacea daily as a preventative - she swore by the stuff. I said, "what the hell have I got to lose?" and began taking 350 mg daily. I've been almost illness-free since, despite the toxic kid-crud my daughter regularly brought home from elementary school.

I can recall maybe 3 relatively mild cases of illness in those 7 years, and zero flu-type incidents, although my family still gets sick at the same rate they always did. Whenever my wife or daughter would begin to come down with something, I'd double my daily dose of Echinacea and generally steer clear of it.

Huge difference between 3 sicknesses per year and 3 in seven years. It might be a coincidence, but I'm sold on the results.

MooseTracks #22991 04/17/12 06:04 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
Or is it just more conspiracy theory BS?

yes

many of the so-called flu illnesses people claim to have are actually not real influenza but other viruses. The "real" flu can be devastating especially to the young, the old, the frail and the immunocompromised , unless we are talking about the Great Flu Panademic of 1918 that affecting healthier people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

Harvey Lankford #22994 04/17/12 06:24 PM
Precisely, Harvey. Doesn't hurt to have actual solid facts to back up statements, instead of wild conjecture.

I'm not required to get a flu shot by my work, only strongly encouraged. But then, I work primarily with the frail elderly, going into and out of different homes all day. The effort to keep everything clean is huge, but the chances of my patients dying from an imported bug is bigger.

And the flu shot does not pertain to the GI distress of which Steve speaks.

I'm not out to change your mind, Rogue. Just looking to see if you have actual proof of your statements.

As for helping people, I do my best, if they want it. An educated decision is always better than one based on conjecture and suspicion.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Steve C #22999 04/17/12 08:31 PM
Quote:
I'm not out to change your mind, Rogue. Just looking to see if you have actual proof of your statements.

I understand and it's fine to ask for it all but I have invested more hours then you could know on digital activism on a great number of subjects. Spending 6 hours on a single reply on forums. It's a pointless exercise. And after 10 years of careful consideration I have come to final conclusions that now alleviate me of all caring about the welfare of mankind. So you wont see me in any more debates.

I just need to learn to control the habit of commenting.

RoguePhotonic #23000 04/17/12 08:48 PM
Ahhhh... OK. Here you go, then:

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #23007 04/17/12 11:49 PM
LOL you all made me laugh ______ I never realized discussing the flu would become such a hot topic __________ see what you started Steve ______ I can't Wait until someone posts they have cold sores ________ now that's a topic that could get interesting.

BTW, I must be loaded with mercury ___ I have been getting flu shots since 1976____only missed one or two years since I started getting them. I am a donor too on my CDL ____ guess no one will want any of my parts.

Lynnaroo

Link Copied to Clipboard