Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Whitney 1 day Hike Training
#23253 04/25/12 09:08 AM
J
jeffsd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi,

I am a 29 year old in good shape set to summit whitney first time on July 9, 2012. I am not an extremely experienced hiker but have made this a goal that i plan to conquer. I have started doing semi-local longer day hikes on Sundays in San Jacinto and Baldy mountains. Havent done eithe of those peaks but did Tahquitz and others. I was looking ofr some suggestions on training programs in addition to getting out and hiking.

My friend I am doing it with is also in good shape and imo completly underestimating what we are setting off to do. I was also hoping people could give some tips/suggestions/ideas of things to avoid/do/plan for etc and also let everyone know how hard it really is. Our goal is to also reach the summit for sunrise (ambitious I know). Is this possible and what time do you recommend we leave?

Thanks

Re: Whitney 1 day Hike Training
jeffsd #23255 04/25/12 09:18 AM
S
S
To get an idea of difficulty, and other tips, you can start by reading this thread:

Mount Whitney Trail: Hiking in the Dark? Snow?

Trail head to summit in time for sunrise is a tall task. You could start about 10:30 or 11 PM and get to the wilderness boundary at Lone Pine Lake at midnight, where your day hike permit requirement technically kicks in.

Just keep quiet when you hike through the Outpost Camp and Trail Camp areas so you don't disturb the people sleeping there.

jeffsd #23256 04/25/12 09:19 AM
W
W
It's not the miles its the kind of miles.

No matter what you do in SoCal you will not replicate the MMWT, especially the elevation and trail above Mirror Lake. The best you can do is get close to the mileage and gain in SoCal. The Mt. Baldy and San Gorgonio areas are best. You can get 6,000' gains and 22-mile trips at both with a little imagination.

However, you should plan on a trip to White Mountain in June. This will give an idea on what it like to hike over 11,500' and what it takes to get 14,000'. White Mountain is an easy 14er...so they say.

wbtravis #23257 04/25/12 09:23 AM
S
S
The White Mountain training hike is excellent advice. Drive up the night before, sleep in or by the car at the gate at 12,000' elevation, and hike the 7 miles to the summit and back the next day.

That will give you a good idea how your system reacts to the altitude. And if you do it in the week before Whitney, you will gain some acclimatization for Mt Whitney, in the process.

Make sure of the road conditions to White Mountain before you go. And you need to haul all your water on the White Mountain trip.

jeffsd #23260 04/25/12 09:35 AM
J
jeffsd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the information. The plan i was thinking for us to acclimate is:

Get to lone pine friday. My friend has a truck with a pop up camper in back. Drive as high as we can to park/camp. Day hike around Friday to over 10k, sleep in truck. Saturday day hike hopefully to 11k if possible and hang out a while and hten relax in pop up again. SUnday drive as high as any of the roads allow and relax up there and watch a movie in his popup. Then leave Sunday nihght/monday morning for the summit (Monday july 9 is our passes).

I also reserved 4 spots but there is only 2 if anyone wants to go (not necesarily with us but wants to go and doesnt have a permit) for July 9, 2012.

Also, is there a baseline condition we should be in? I feel like we are both in great sea level shape as we are 4 day a week gymers and everyother sunday hike at a minimum. Any other tips to make sure we make it successfuly?

Thank you all very much, first day at the site but I love the quick responses and loads of information

jeffsd #23262 04/25/12 09:47 AM
W
W
You will never know until you do it, period.

Everyone reacts differently to going high. I have friends who can drive up to Whitney Portal go to summit with no problems and have others that will be throwing up before they get to Lone Pine Lake...without the use of Diamox.

The closer you replicate conditions on Mt. Whitney the better your chances of success.

jeffsd #23265 04/25/12 10:00 AM
S
S
Getting to Lone Pine Friday, and spending all day Saturday and Sunday acclimating is perfect! Since you have the camper, drive up to Horseshoe Meadows. There are plenty of walk-in sites there, and using the camper should be ok.

Here's one easy hike from there:     Trail Peak: Warmup / acclimatization hike

Steve C #23266 04/25/12 10:33 AM
I hiked lots of miles, lots of local hills, ran, rode bike, stairmaster, etc..... but the most important thing I did was put in 4 hikes where I got above 10,000 feet in the 6 weeks before my first summit. I have included my first Whitney attempt, in which I stopped on the switchbacks.
If you're in shape, you should be able to summit Whitney. Hiking to "elevation" (what I consider 10,000 feet) cannot be taken lightly. Being at elevation is one thing, but actually hiking at elevation works wonders for your conditioning.

As a note, the only problem I see for a first time hiker on Whitney is you leaving at 10:30 or so to make Sunrise. The trail is not hard to find, but above Mirror Lake it can be hard to know where to go. It's best to follow someone up that area.

Also, Steve.... I don't see how they can make a summit Sunrise by 5:48 A.M.... There are many hikers on the boards that can, but 7 hours and 15 minutes is pretty fast, especially for a first timer. I think my first time day hike took appx 9 hours to the summit. Maybe you guys should consider doing an overnight and camping at Trail Camp, then heading out early. Just a thought.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #23267 04/25/12 10:38 AM
S
S
Yeah, I think the idea of making sunrise from the trail head is crazy, too. But I put the info out there if they were crazy enough to want to try.

7 hours is certainly doable for someone in good aerobic shape, but they'd need to limit breaks to 5 minutes per hour or so, and hustle on the trail.

If I were crazy enough to do that, I'd plan on taking one or two naps by the trail on the way down.

Jeffsd: since you have two days to acclimate, you might consider this: Saturday AM, drop into the Visitor Center in Lone Pine to pick up your Monday permit, and while you're there, ask about a walk-in day hike permit for THAT day (Saturday). If any is available, you could day hike the trail -- maybe all the way to Trail Camp on Saturday and return, as a training hike. That would give you a huge advantage to familiarize yourselves with the trail that you would be hiking through the night.

Last edited by Steve C; 04/25/12 10:43 AM.
Steve C #23268 04/25/12 10:47 AM
Actually, I imagine being along the backside traverse would be a lovely place to spend sunrise. That way, you can still see the south-east face of Whitney still glowing, and have the view out to the west as well.

For the OP, seeing sunrise from the switchbacks along the crest has always been a treat for me...

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #23270 04/25/12 10:55 AM
I agree with you Laura, and there is certainly no reason to "rush" up the mountain. Enjoy the incredible views, take lots of pics and enjoy the company of the hikers going up and down the mountain. Jeff, I cannot tell you guys how many wonderful people from all over the world I've met on Whitney. Talking and taking breaks, enjoying their stories of how and why they're hiking Whitney make the journey much more fun and even a bit easier.

I myself would love it if you guys would keep us informed on what your plans are, how your training is going and other ideas. Guess that's what makes this whole thing fun.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #23273 04/25/12 11:34 AM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
I agree with you Laura, and there is certainly no reason to "rush" up the mountain. Enjoy the incredible views, take lots of pics and enjoy the company of the hikers going up and down the mountain. Jeff, I cannot tell you guys how many wonderful people from all over the world I've met on Whitney. Talking and taking breaks, enjoying their stories of how and why they're hiking Whitney make the journey much more fun and even a bit easier.

Funny, I was just telling someone last night that you could probably get up the MMWT at least a third quicker if you didn't stop to compare life stories with everyone you meet! But then again - if you did that, you wouldn't be Joe!

jeffsd #23279 04/25/12 01:29 PM
I know "certain people" who "start" around 9 p.m. the night before their "day hike" date just to make it to the summit at sunrise.

I used to "rush" to the summit. Now, I "rush" so I can get back to the Portal Store for "Froth and Fries."

You may want to hike San Gorgonio and San Bernardino. Both require permits and Adventure Pass. www.sgwa.org.

You may want to look at hiking Humphrey's Peak in Arizona before you July Jaunt. Just an idea since it is near the Grand Canyon.

Being in shape is half the battle. You need to log in the mileage at altitude.

Since you are in SD, you can "toughen" up your feet by walking on the dry sand with your pack weighed down with sand and walk barefoot. Trust me, it is a great workout! Forget the tubers with their surfboard stares. Yeah, they can "hang ten" but can they "hike 10k+?"

A lot of great ideas have been posted.

Best of everything to you on your big day.

Journey well...
jeffsd #23284 04/25/12 03:27 PM
J
jeffsd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
ok so i might really be underestimating this hike. I read that fast groups summit and return in 8-10 hours avg is 10-14 and slower is 15+. Is this incorrect? My personal goal is under 10 hours but it appears from everyone that I am dreaming.

Steve: id be happy to keep everyone informed on our plans and how things are progressing. And the option for anyone who wants to hike for a day on the 9th stands, i would hate for the 2 passes i reserved to be lost. I hear the lottery is not easy to get.

THe reason we want to 'rus' tp the summit is twofold. 1) i think it would be incredible to catch sunrise at the highest point in the continental US and 2) i love physically challenging myself, so if i train to the point where i could do it, Id feel very proud of that (ignorance can be bliss, no?)

THank you eveyrone for the suggestions on prep hikes and things to do prior. Is the trail really that hard to locate at night? Im now a bit worried about getting lost on the summit.

jeffsd #23286 04/25/12 04:49 PM
A
A
Don't know you, so I can't say that under 10 hours is a dream or not. Give us your time on a trail on San Jacinto or Baldy and that'll give everyone a better idea of your health and whether a sub-10 is possible.

The trail is not hard to find at night. Don't stress about it. Since you're going to be up there for a few days, go up the trail to scout it out during the day. No permits needed until you get to Lone Pine Lake. Everything after that is even easier to spot. You'll get to know the trail better while acclimating.

It looks like there's going to be a lot of people up Skyline next Saturday.
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?t=3526
If you can get to the tram, you'll be fine for Whitney. If you can do the whole Cactus to the Clouds, you'll be golden for Whitney. If you can breeze up there, you'll have no problem with your sub-10 hour time.

Be VERY CAREFUL with Skyline!!! It's getting hot, and people have died coming down after giving up due to heat strokes. I'd carry at least a gallon of water if I was you. Read about the hike carefully before attempting. Good luck.

jeffsd #23287 04/25/12 04:54 PM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
so many quotation marks

Anonymous1 #23305 04/26/12 08:19 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: 2600fromatari

It looks like there's going to be a lot of people up Skyline next Saturday.
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?t=3526
If you can get to the tram, you'll be fine for Whitney. If you can do the whole Cactus to the Clouds, you'll be golden for Whitney. If you can breeze up there, you'll have no problem with your sub-10 hour time.

Be VERY CAREFUL with Skyline!!! It's getting hot, and people have died coming down after giving up due to heat strokes. I'd carry at least a gallon of water if I was you. Read about the hike carefully before attempting. Good luck.

I did Skyline for the first time this winter. It was a pretty interesting trip and I learned a lot. The primary thing I learned was not to do it if the temperature was much above 40 degrees in Palm Springs at the start. I sweated my rear end off and the temperature never got above the mid 40's. Also, going up 8,000' without having to go down left me without any aches and pains.

This is a "trail" you will not want for company. Just head over to the Mt. San Jacinto meetup group, if you want some company going up...hit the link at bottom of this post.

wbtravis #23319 04/26/12 12:21 PM
A
A
wb, you must be one of those polar bears. If I waited for 40 degree temps, I'd never go up there. Last time it was in the 90s when I got back. I was definitely feeling it. I don't live in Palm Springs so I don't have the luxury of starting super early. Driving up from SD early in the morning is pain enough.

I've taken a few people up there, but I don't mind going solo. I was afraid at one time when someone on the SJ board reported seeing two mountain lions. Otherwise, it's always a blast. I heard the meetup group will turn people around if they can't make it to the picnic tables quick enough. Just an FYI Jeff.

Anonymous1 #23344 04/27/12 08:45 AM
W
W
I prefer cold to heat, no doubt about that. I sweat moderately but even in the mid 40s going up, it was pouring off of me. It is the sun exposure below 6,000'. Once you get into the tree up high it's not bad at all.

I have no desire to start that trail at 3 AM to avoid the heat. I found it difficult to be in PS at 6. I'll take the tram in a blizzard any day at 8 AM than Skyline any time.

I guess you might have figured, I'm not a a candidate for C2C...LOL.

jeffsd #23345 04/27/12 09:20 AM
S
S
my $0.02.

train like you have never trained before. hikes, cardio.

you want this to physically be a walk in the woods without the woods - for the most part.

rush, if you must, for sunrise. but realize that by rushing you are also rushing your acclimating. i've seen many folks much younger than me turn back due to lack of acclimating. you won't know how you'll acclimate until you are there. baldy, san g and san j can give you a clue. but san g is only 11,5 and you're going for 14,5. remember, almost half of the hike is at altitude higher than san g.

now i'm a bit older, but i realized that after i had trained for six months to attain my goal that i wanted to enjoy every minute of the journey.

the burgers, as good as they may be, are no reason to rush your trip. they, like the mountain, will be there.

Steve C #23373 04/28/12 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
You could start about 10:30 or 11 PM and get to the wilderness boundary at Lone Pine Lake at midnight, where your day hike permit requirement technically kicks in.

I have been told otherwise by the rangers. They stated that dayhikes begin at the trailhead. Your permit is trailhead to summit to trailhead. Therefore, you cannot start on the trail until midnight (even though you can hike as far as the boundary anytime). Sounds contradictory, doesn't it? At any rate, four of our five dayhike summits had 10PM starts. There are no rangers on the trail that late looking for early starting scofflaws.

jeffsd #23394 04/29/12 12:55 PM
J
J
My suggestion is to determine which is more important: summit at sunrise? or Whitney in a day?. Both are excellent goals but not sure if they can be done together legally (unless you hike real fast) considering the start time you'll need. You probably won't get caught but why "taint" your first Whitney trip with that? Just IMHO.

The two cents worth I'll throw in is to get to trail camp and stay overnight (need an overnight permit obviously) therefore ensuring a early start for a summit sunrise. Not hiking at night will also enable you to see the beauty of the trail as you hike up. The amazing scenery of the Sierras never fails to amaze me and the MMWT is a real gem in that regards. Give yourself extra time to acclimate which sounds like an unknown factor for you at this point. Take it easy for this first trip and enjoy all that is Whitney and consider a day trip next time - you'll know the trail and how you react to altitude. The mountain will always be there.

The Vivian Creek trail on San Gorgonio is a good training hike for Whitney IMO. It's got alot of gain (5600') in a shorter distance (8 miles). I did this hike for the first time as a day hike two weeks after I summitted Whitney and was suprised at how tough it was, especially the first part. The summit of SG is 11,500 so it probably won't help you acclimate but the trail should be a good test of your physical shape.

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
John P. #23418 04/30/12 12:19 AM
S
S
Just to clarify the idea of where your Day Hike permit is required: You can hike ANY time up to Lone Pine Lake, and without a permit.

It is only after Lone Pine Lake that the Day Hike permit is required.

This issue comes up from time to time, and I have verified with Inyo staff in Bishop: You only need the Day Hike permit starting at LP Lake. It is NOT required below that point. So you can legally start your day hike before midnight.

However, an overnight wilderness permit IS required, starting at the trail head, if you carry overnight gear up to Lone Pine lake, since you would be camping there (or somewhere beyond). You cannot camp at Lone Pine lake (or anywhere else along the trail) without an overnight wilderness permit -- the same permit as required to camp anywhere on the main trail. ...and therefore, I suppose an overnight trip cannot start before midnight. But who would want to?

John P. #23429 04/30/12 08:47 AM
W
W
John,

There are two ways to look at San Gorgonio...Vivian Creek and South Fork. Vivian as you state is 16 miles RT, +5,960' but South Fork is 22 miles, +4,600'.

I love the Vivian Creek Trail as I love the South Fork Trail doing this both ways within your training regiment. This gets you the gain and distance.

With that said, you have to advance permit, the closed at this time, Vivian Creek Trail. They have not allowed self permitting for this trail...meaning you will getting awfully late start if you walk in at opening and get a permit.

Personally, I like the San Bernardino Peak Trail better...or the Forsee Creek Trail. It's less traveled, prettier and you can go out to San Bernardino East or Anderson and get comparable distance and gain.

wbtravis #23463 05/01/12 06:45 AM
J
J
Personally, I've never got a "walk in" permit for this trail. Just went online, downloaded and filled out the form, and faxed it off to the number provided. Got my permit faxed back to me that same day everytime, easy peasy. Linky .

Forgot about the closure! blush Info I read says it will be open after Memorial Day so the OP will have plenty of time to give it a go.

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
John P. #23465 05/01/12 08:06 AM
W
W
Fax machine? What's that?

In this day and age of no mo' land line. Yeah, I know you can do it by the internet and request drop box...or just call.

Vivian Creek is the only trail that you cannot self permit. The rest you can.

I like the roads less traveled and the prettier ones. That best describes the west end of the SGW. I did not see anyone on Forsee Creek Trail Saturday...I did not even see anyone footprints attempting to cross the snow at 8,300' to 8,600' to go higher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard