Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hiking GPS with Preloaded Trail Map
Bulldog34 #23351 04/27/12 12:44 PM
I love my GPS but I'm not sold on the value of digital maps for these little screens. It's fun and cool, I get that, but so is looking at a contour map of the entire area to get the big picture. I don't usually even bring a GPS unless I'm on miles of snow or going off trail. All I need from it is to confirm where I am on my map (not always where I thought I was) and confirm which way I need to go from there. Anything more is gravy and it should not take away from what I'm really trying to do - experiencing the wilderness.

Sorry to be a buzzkill for all these cool apps, here's a classic joke to make it up.

A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a woman below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The woman below replied, "You're in a hot air balloon hovering
approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude."

"You must be an engineer," said the balloonist. "I am," replied the woman, "How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is, technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything, you've delayed my trip."

The woman below responded, "You must be in Management."

"I am," replied the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well," said the woman, "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air.

You made a promise which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."

SierraNevada #23352 04/27/12 12:59 PM
S
S
like! like!

Steve C #23355 04/27/12 01:29 PM
+1 gazillion

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #23365 04/28/12 12:21 AM
G
G
There is more than one reason to carry a GPS. Mine goes most places with me for geocaching. Navigational help is a nice bonus, but certainly not the primary reason for carrying it.

It's pretty amazing how something as simple as geocaching will teach you how to use a GPS and its functions pretty well. I've been able to use a map and compass since I was a little boy thanks to my Dad and Boy/Cub Scouts, but they usually only come out a few times a year when I'm trying to make sure I don't forget what I'm doing with them. My GPS has yet to fail me, thankfully.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
manson #30718 04/02/13 06:41 PM
A
A
There is a new app for Android phones, called "Mt. Whitney Guide" in the Google Play store with a pre-loaded Mt. Whitney Trail map. The app includes a GPS track taken last summer and has GPS functionality - i.e. you can see where you are on the trail even if you do not have phone service. The app includes about 40 waypoints with descriptions and photos.

Search "Mount Whitney" at http://play.google.com/store/.

The iPhone version will be released in May.

I am the developer of the app and am happy to answer any questions. Please note that we do not believe that this app should be used without being accompanied by a paper map.

I understand that many of the more experienced hikers do not need this product, but those who have not been on the Whitney Trail dozens of times may enjoy it.

Sincerely,

Alice, High Sierra Attitude, LLC

Alice Bodnar #30726 04/02/13 08:47 PM
S
S
Alice, important question:

What trail shows on the app? And what topographic does it use?

Is it the one that Google Maps provides in their "Terrain View" like this? (or do you use a different map?)

...edit... I think I answered my own questions by reading your Mt. Whitney Guide info about the app. It sounds like you personally hiked the trail and gathered pictures and way points. So the (incorrect) trail on the Google terrain view is not used in your app.

Steve C #30749 04/03/13 10:08 AM
A
A
Steve,

Yes, it is a GPS track that my husband and I took in June 2012 when we were hiking down to Lone Pine from the PCT. Same with the photos -- all taken in June 2012 on the way down the trail and on the way back up to the PCT. And as you mentioned, Google Maps misidentify the trail, but our track is correct.

As far as the maps, the app downloads topo maps of the Landscape style (http://www.thunderforest.com/landscape/), which are in turn based upon OpenCycleMaps. You can use those when you don't have cell phone service. When you do have service, Google Maps load in the background.

Alice

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard